Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:18:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airport connections  (Read 2438 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 18, 2018, 13:57:08 »

Direct airport services - becoming ever more important and useful?

From Plymouth Herald

Plymouth needs a railway linking the city straight to Exeter airport, says the outgoing head of Devon Chamber of Commerce.

George Cowcher, who has just announced he is to stand down at the end of June 2018, said that whatever happens to Plymouth’s former airport site, Plymouth will never have the air connectivity enjoyed by the county’s capital.

He said therefore the city, and region, should push for a rail link which would take travellers from Plymouth to Exeter airport.

From Cambridge News

The changes mean it will be easier for holidaymakers to get away, with more direct Thameslink services from Cambridge to Brighton via Gatwick - currently there is only one service a day.

Passengers will be able to get on a brand new train at Cambridge Station, and not get off until they reach the airport or the seaside town.

There will also be a new direct Thameslink service from Peterborough to Horsham via London Bridge and Gatwick Airport.

Might there be great sense in extending the Gatwick to Reading service on to Oxford, and the Southampton Airport to Salisbury service on to Swindon?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 14:44:05 »

Direct airport services - becoming ever more important and useful?

From Plymouth Herald

Plymouth needs a railway linking the city straight to Exeter airport.....

This is just never going to happen; for those travelling by road the access to Exeter Airport via the M5/A30 is already pretty good. An essentially hourly EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)><Airport bus service (Stagecoach 56) for onward transportation of rail pax is almost certainly sufficient for the foreseeable future.
Had the proposal to move the passenger terminal infrastructure to the northern side of the airport proceeded then perhaps a dedicated bus/tram/monorail ( Grin) link from/to Cranbrook would have been a possibility. Even then there would have to be a major alteration to the Devon Metro service as currently defined to provide any through rail journeys. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 16:26:25 »

Plymouth needs its airport back!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 18:50:08 »

No it doesn't........ Tongue  The city has coped OK since its closure and we really need affordable homes to be built on the site.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 19:46:14 »

No it doesn't........ Tongue  The city has coped OK since its closure and we really need affordable homes to be built on the site.

You're confusing two different issues. More housing in Plymouth and an airport are not mutually exclusive. Have you heard of Sherford?

Personally I'd like to see Plymouth do better than just "cope OK", an airport with swift links to London and beyond is key to that.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 21:31:09 »

If Luton can do it why can't Exeter or Bristol......

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2018-04-17/work-begins-on-new-225-million-rail-link-at-luton-airport/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 22:10:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 22:14:05 »

You're confusing two different issues. More housing in Plymouth and an airport are not mutually exclusive. Have you heard of Sherford?

Personally I'd like to see Plymouth do better than just "cope OK", an airport with swift links to London and beyond is key to that.

Well, at one time I used to regularly fly from Plymouth to Heathrow on my way to Central London.  Taking into account check-in time, flight time, circulating Heathrow waiting to land and travelling to Central London took more than the 2 hours 57 minutes that the Golden Hind used to do the trip in.... Tongue

...and yes, I do know where Sherford is thank you... Shocked
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:31 »

Well, at one time I used to regularly fly from Plymouth to Heathrow on my way to Central London.  Taking into account check-in time, flight time, circulating Heathrow waiting to land and travelling to Central London took more than the 2 hours 57 minutes that the Golden Hind used to do the trip in.... Tongue

...and yes, I do know where Sherford is thank you... Shocked

Blimey Plymouth to Heathrow? Must be almost 20 years ago?

Latterly, the London City airport route was hugely successful, I remember leaving my office and being back in Plymouth within 2 hours...........
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:12:40 »

Latterly, the London City airport route was hugely successful, I remember leaving my office and being back in Plymouth within 2 hours...........

Presumably not successful enough to be financially viable for any carriers though?

Always a shame when transport links are cut of course.  An often overlooked benefit of the rail franchise model is that routes and services (including marginal and loss making but socially beneficial ones) HAVE to be provided at a specified level by the operator with very few exceptions.  So there’s an element of security that you increasingly don’t get with many air and rural bus routes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:34:20 »

Presumably not successful enough to be financially viable for any carriers though?

Always a shame when transport links are cut of course.  An often overlooked benefit of the rail franchise model is that routes and services (including marginal and loss making but socially beneficial ones) HAVE to be provided at a specified level by the operator with very few exceptions.  So there’s an element of security that you increasingly don’t get with many air and rural bus routes.

That route was extremely viable and the airport was one of the few experiencing growth in 2009 but the shortsightedness of letting the London slots go finished it - along with local politics/Sutton Harbour Holdings "priorities" (the less said about SHH the better)

4 out of 5 local businesses supported maintaining the airport for the good of the city and only one third of those surveyed felt that rail/road links are adequate for a City of Plymouth's size.

Exeter airport has picked up the slack and good luck to them but it's very much to the detriment of the economy of Plymouth that the airport closed.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 10:40:48 »

I guess those survey figures are what you’d expect.  Very few local businesses are going to vote ‘no’ to a local airport staying open.  Who let the London slots go?  Is it a case of the airports operator having a hidden agenda?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:16:57 »

Because EasyJet are willing to chuck large amounts of money at their showpiece airport?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 11:35:04 »

Because EasyJet are willing to chuck large amounts of money at their showpiece airport?
Trust me if you've used Luton Airport you know it needs all the money it can throw at it which to be fair is exactly what's happening and things are improving. Having a rail link to the airport is a massive plus for them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: