What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:38:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Trimode cl 769 to operate Reading to Oxford and Gatwick.  (Read 113281 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2018, 18:04:17 »

Just seen on Twitter,
Philip Haigh states
GWR (Great Western Railway) to bring 19 tri-mode Class 769 4-car trains to Reading-Oxford and Reading-Gatwick services from next spring. Will run on AC and DC (Direct Current) electrification and diesel. Will initially support introduction of refurbed trains to Heathrow Express.

https://twitter.com/philatrail/status/987002846846636032?s=21
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 18:34:14 »

‘Reading to Oxford’ presumably means the peak Reading-Oxford services that are Turbo operated as well as possibly some of the Oxford to Didcot shuttles?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 19:00:20 »

Here, in answer to my earlier quibble about the status of this news, it is from Rail:
Nineteen tri-mode Flex Class 769s for GWR (Great Western Railway)
19/04/2018 in Network

Nineteen tri-mode Class 769 Flex units will enter traffic with Great Western Railway from Spring 2019.

They will be able to operate using third-rail, overhead wires or diesel engines, and will be used initially to support GWR’s introduction of refurbished Class 387/1s on Heathrow Express.

They will feature free WiFi and power at every seat. The trains will be fitted with air-cooling, extra luggage space and new seat covers.

GWR said in a statement: “Initially, the fleet will support the introduction of refreshed trains on Heathrow Express services, but will be predominantly be used on routes between Reading and Gatwick, and Reading and Oxford, where the train’s tri-mode can be used to its fullest. However, the tri-mode nature of the train will give GWR maximum flexibility to use them in other areas of the network should they be required.

“Final details of exactly how and where the new fleet will be used are currently being drawn up, and expected to be finalised later this year.”

GWR Managing Director, Mark Hopwood said: “We are already delivering the biggest fleet upgrade in a generation across the Great Western network, but today’s news shows we have not stopped looking at ways to improve our service for customers by adding extra capacity to our network.”

Mary Grant, CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Porterbrook, said: “These trains will offer GWR greater operational flexibility with reduced operating costs; at the same time their conversion and upgrade will see skilled engineering jobs secured in the UK (United Kingdom) supply chain.”

The four-car trains will be converted from redundant Class 319 electric multiple units. This releases a similar number of Class 165/’166’ Turbos for use in the Bristol area.

The FULL story will appear in RAIL 852, published on May 9, and available digitally from May 5 on Android/iPad.
    To read about the initial Flex concept, read RAIL 818, available digitally.

Author:  Richard Clinnick
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 22:12:42 by stuving » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 19:09:42 »

It is, obviously, good news to get more capacity.  Just the extra strain on crew training, and the reliability and power of the units themselves that cast a bit of a shadow in my opinion.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 20:55:00 »

I suppose I should be grateful about the increase in capacity, but I can't help feeling we are being sold a pup.
These trains are untested, will require more training, will be slower than 387 and probably 165, are 30 years old (older than 165/166) and have no air conditioning. If they at so good why are they being removed from their current services. Wouldn't it be simpler to complete the electrification to Oxford and use the 319 ( no need to undertake the hybrid conversion) on the short service to Heathrow.
Of course we all know with the current Secretary of State that he will do anything to get a private company to spend money (ie the leasing company) rather than spend public money ( ie Network Rail).
Rant over.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 21:35:25 »

I think The Dept for Transport, or whatever it's called these days, will do just about anything to defer or bin the idea of electrifying to Oxford. And this is a good example of that..
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 22:25:44 »

‘Reading to Oxford’ presumably means the peak Reading-Oxford services that are Turbo operated as well as possibly some of the Oxford to Didcot shuttles?
Henley and Windsor branches perhaps?  If they are sensible they’ll keep them out of the full glare of publicity, ie not go to Paddington...

Paul
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 23:10:31 »

will be slower than 387 and probably 165

As EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s the 319's were 100mph units, weren't they?

So, yes a bit slower than a 387, but a bit quicker than a Turbo, although true to say we don't know what their speed will be under diesel power?

Kind of irrelevant on the North Downs anyway, as I don't think there is any linespeed above 70?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 23:18:25 »

So, yes a bit slower than a 387, but a bit quicker than a Turbo, although true to say we don't know what their speed will be under diesel power?

Kind of irrelevant on the North Downs anyway, as I don't think there is any linespeed above 70?

100mph yes, but very slow accelerating compared with modern electric units (though probably slightly better than a Turbo).  Maximum speed on diesel is expected to be in the 90+mph area I believe, but how long it takes to get to that value remains to be seen - along with how it'll cope with accelerating on the gradients of the North Downs.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 23:21:31 »

will be slower than 387 and probably 165

Top speed under diesel - two conflicting views - 80mph and 86mph .   Bear in mind that the more important question may be how quickly the trains get up to a decent speed rather than the top speed that ca be reached.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 09:34:58 »

The 769 in electric are surely going to be much slower to accelerate than a 319 as they will weigh much more.
They will have the weight of the diesel engines and all the ancillaries (exhausts, radiators,etc), fuel, air cooling equipment, wifi equipment, etc.
Weight impacts on acceleration and not top speed (it just takes much longer to get there).

Also these trains are already 30 years how long do they expect them to last?
Won't they become the oldest trains on the network soon (except for Isle of Wight and class 150)?

Does anyone know what the rationale was for removing them from their current duties? Was it just age and lack of modern facilities such as air-con?

nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:05:56 »

Class 700 replaced the 319s. The 319s don't support ATO (Automatic Train Operation) which is needed for high density operations in the Thameslink core and there weren't enough sets to cover all of the new Thameslink routes so it made sense to get rid of them and have a single standard fleet.

It'll be a real blast from the past for me as I remember the 319s being introduced into service as the first non-slam door stock on the Brighton Main Line. They were a real step up from the VEPs and CIGs.

I also remember the 165/6 introduction which was another leap from the Class 101 DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). However, the 319s were never as nice internally as the 165/6 IMHO (in my humble opinion), primarily due to the wider loading gauge on the 165/6 which provided a roomer interior.

If this story is true, it does beg the question why 800s are going to be used on the Bedwyn services, when one of these sets could easily run to Newbury/Reading.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:57:12 »

If this story is true, it does beg the question why 800s are going to be used on the Bedwyn services

Indeed, and one wonders whether a 4-coach 769 would fit in the Bedwyn turnback without need to extend it (which as far as I know work has yet to start on)?

Is an 8-coach 769 longer or shorter than an 8-coach 387? (which is what the platform extensions at Thatcham and Theale are being extended to accommodate)

Also (while I'm at it!), will a 4-coach 769 fit at some of the smaller stations on the North Downs?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 14:00:49 »

Although I share the reservations of how well these might be able to work in practice until demonstrated, I do at least commend the action of getting more stock to help patch over some of the holes at least in the short (and sadly probably the medium) term left by the Electrification debacle. My only fear there is that there aren't really enough.
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 14:37:32 »

If this story is true, it does beg the question why 800s are going to be used on the Bedwyn services

Indeed, and one wonders whether a 4-coach 769 would fit in the Bedwyn turnback without need to extend it (which as far as I know work has yet to start on)?

Is an 8-coach 769 longer or shorter than an 8-coach 387? (which is what the platform extensions at Thatcham and Theale are being extended to accommodate)

Also (while I'm at it!), will a 4-coach 769 fit at some of the smaller stations on the North Downs?

A 4 car 319 is roughly 80 metres long. A 3 car 165 is 66m long and a 4 car 387 is roughly 81 metres.

I don't think the 319s ever had SDO (Selective Door Opening) fitted as they were typically run in 4 and 8 car sets and stopped at stations that could take 8 cars.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: