Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Trimode cl 769 to operate Reading to Oxford and Gatwick.  (Read 113558 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2020, 13:44:19 »

A 769 unit was moved South through Banbury yesterday by 50007 and 50049.

This is reported to be 769943 on its way to Reading as 5Z69 but I have not found it on Realtime trains.

Picture here on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3356919184365881&set=gm.3159948040762940&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Double headed! - was it that heavy?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2020, 14:09:32 »

Video on Twitter

https://twitter.com/thesatnav89/status/1291791735979421701?s=21
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2020, 18:48:39 »

Oh - will we get nicely refurbished class 50s to help them up and down all those pesky gradients on the North Downs line? - perhaps something to look forward to after all! It'll take me back to my days commuting from Tilehurst in the 1980s.......
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2020, 18:51:04 »

Lovely engines...when not breaking down!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2020, 19:09:35 »

There's quite a recent history of running a train with 2 locomotives, perhaps where it's not needed.   Started in - what - the mid 1970s when the Westerns and Warships (occasionally used in 2-s) were replaced by single-ended locos on either end of a rake or 6 to 8 carriages.   It come down to removing the need to run round and, as these things get older and spare locos to help in the event of a failure become rare as hen's teeth.   The only problem with an 8 car rake running with one loco duff is "Does not stop at Totnes".

Nuclear flask trains have 2 locos, andI've noticed that steam specials seem to have a spare diesel loco on the back too ... much of it perhaps again relating to reliability, lack of thunderbirds, and all the extra money that Network Rail will charge you if you block the line until you manage to find someone to get you out of the way.   2nd loco every time probably cheaper than risking failure - insurance if you like.

Wish they would add a second loco on heavy freight up the Berks and Hants.   Those trains seem sit down all too often for a very long and leasurly break, flooding the TransWilts with trains that don't even stop ...

Sorry eightonedee - don't expect you'll see 2 times class 50 on the North Downs trains.   Would one be OK?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2020, 20:43:16 »

Grahame
I almost thought, yes I would, but then thought of the line between Reigate and Shalford junction or between Ash and Wokingham being blocked by a failed loco.....
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2020, 15:21:12 »

Nuclear flask trains have 2 locos, andI've noticed that steam specials seem to have a spare diesel loco on the back too ... much of it perhaps again relating to reliability, lack of thunderbirds, and all the extra money that Network Rail will charge you if you block the line until you manage to find someone to get you out of the way.   2nd loco every time probably cheaper than risking failure - insurance if you like.

Re steam specials I thought the diesel was there to supply compressed air for the train brakes when the loco doesn't have a Westinghouse pump as well as backup. It will also be there to take the stock away if the journey finishes at a terminal station.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2020, 13:23:54 »

Re steam specials I thought the diesel was there to supply compressed air for the train brakes when the loco doesn't have a Westinghouse pump as well as backup. It will also be there to take the stock away if the journey finishes at a terminal station.
Isn’t it also usually providing the hotel services power for the coaching stock, especially as they move towards air conditioned stock etc?

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2020, 08:36:26 »

Often the reason for 2 loco's the second is there if the is a failure of the primary for some of the Freight Operating Company (FOC (Freight Operating Company)) they may only have one or two operating bases the delay costs incurred waiting for one of their locos to reach the failed train would be excessive as would paying another Train Operating Company (TOC (Train Operating Company)) to rescue the failed train.

Other reasons for topping and tailing can be operational there just are not the run round facilities now

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying acronyms
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:54:34 by VickiS » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2020, 09:42:20 »

This is reported to be 769943 on its way to Reading as 5Z69 but I have not found it on Realtime trains.

Picture here on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3356919184365881&set=gm.3159948040762940&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Well, maybe - if you want it to stop and it's not helping. I vaguely recall international train delivery consists having not just translator vehicles but a load of makeweight wagons too, specifically to provide brake force. So, is it custormary - or even compulsory - for new stock to be hauled with all brakes disabled? I can't find an explicit reference to that; NR» (Network Rail - home page) and railway rules just say the operator (which is an FOC (Freight Operating Company)) will provide instructions.

I can understand it being needed when hauling old stock for scrap - you'd not want to certify its brakes as functional. But why that would apply to a brand new, just commissioned, ready-to-drive train is not clear. Still less for such an old new train.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2020, 21:24:02 »

Picture here on Facebook

Well, maybe - if you want it to stop and it's not helping. I vaguely recall international train delivery consists having not just translator vehicles but a load of makeweight wagons too, specifically to provide brake force. So, is it custormary - or even compulsory - for new stock to be hauled with all brakes disabled? I can't find an explicit reference to that; NR» (Network Rail - home page) and railway rules just say the operator (which is an FOC (Freight Operating Company)) will provide instructions.

I can understand it being needed when hauling old stock for scrap - you'd not want to certify its brakes as functional. But why that would apply to a brand new, just commissioned, ready-to-drive train is not clear. Still less for such an old new train.

The rolling stock needs to have a valid brake test, which can be done by some repair facilities but not all, the brake test would only allow the move to the depot.  Another method is to have the stock being move through piped only this allows the translator vehicles, which have a valid brake test, to provide the brake force.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2020, 21:33:49 »

Rail Operations group who where the TOC (Train Operating Company) for the 769 move have some class 37 locomotives fitted with couplings to enable them to haul more modern units such as Electrostars. However these are not compatible with BR (British Rail(ways)) era units such as the 319/769.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:16 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have released the following to show what the 769's will look like inside....

https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1296421240543027200?s=09

Does a good job of not mentioning it's a refurb of actually quite an old train.

Lots of debate over on RailUK Forum about where they will actually be able to operate on anything but diesel (remembering that primarily these are for the North Downs, Reading - Basingstoke and a few of the Thames Valley branches - I think?)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2020, 10:38:36 »

I think that the good news implicit in this announcement is that GWR (Great Western Railway) actually envisage that these units will finally enter service and operate as tri-mode.

While they are old in years, they are  modern in design, the Mark 3 being arguably a more balanced, economical concept than some of the post-privatisation offerings.

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2020, 10:52:33 »

I think that the good news implicit in this announcement is that GWR (Great Western Railway) actually envisage that these units will finally enter service and operate as tri-mode.

We will see.  At least they can operate on Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) between Reading and the depot.   Wink

There is an element of future proofing, so that even if initially they are confined to diesel, the option remains in the future to use the other two modes of power.  More important (at least before the pandemic) to the users of the North Downs Line, where the vast majority of workings will be confined to, is that an 80-metre long train is replacing a 46m or 69m long train, so there's a capacity boost.

My main concern remains the reliability of the engines and their ability to haul a 4-car train over the gradients of the North Downs Line without impacting on performance too much.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying acronyms
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:56:36 by VickiS » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: