Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:07:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Trimode cl 769 to operate Reading to Oxford and Gatwick.  (Read 113567 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:32 »

Some good video (not mine) of the recent class 769 test runs on the North Downs and Brighton Main lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGdTczUq6o

I, interesting, thanks. BTW (by the way) at about 6 minutes into the video it looks like a nasty dip in the track, on the line used by the 769 approaching the camera.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2021, 11:11:59 »

I was just going out shopping when I noticed that this morning's run to Gatwick and back had turned back at Guildford. And 769946 duly came back through Wokingham 10:56 instead of 12:08, and with its rear engine shut down. Engine failure (and return from Guildford) also happened on the first run on Monday, and perhaps the second turned back even earlier (but RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) gets so confused by this kind of thing it's hard to be sure). Wednesday's two runs were cancelled. So far so ...?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2021, 18:30:31 »

By way of reminder, here is the first post in this thread-

Trimode cl 769 to operate Reading to Oxford and Gatwick.
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:17 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Just seen on Twitter,
Philip Haigh states
GWR (Great Western Railway) to bring 19 tri-mode Class 769 4-car trains to Reading-Oxford and Reading-Gatwick services from next spring. Will run on AC and DC (Direct Current)▸ electrification and diesel. Will initially support introduction of refurbed trains to Heathrow Express.

and the first insider comment-

Re: Trimode cl 769 to operate Reading to Oxford and Gatwick.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
It is, obviously, good news to get more capacity.  Just the extra strain on crew training, and the reliability and power of the units themselves that cast a bit of a shadow in my opinion.

So II - who's going to win on Sunday?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2021, 18:35:24 »

So II - who's going to win on Sunday?

Broadgage is the one with the crystal ball! Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2021, 18:44:06 »

This afternoon's run did happen, rather to my surprise. This one (reportedly 959) got to Redhill, but by then it was 20 minutes late so it met its own schedule coming back. On the way back to Reading it only lost 10 minutes, but with the advantage of not doing station calls. No informed reports on what its problem was, but being a bit short in the engine system department looks a likely bet.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2021, 08:41:59 »

From what is published elsewhere, the Northern and TfW 769's are now in service and behaving reasonably. Ours are still in the testing stage, it seems.

OTC

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2021, 09:21:09 »

From what is published elsewhere, the Northern and TfW 769's are now in service and behaving reasonably. Ours are still in the testing stage, it seems.

OTC

Difference is the third rail I suppose.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2021, 09:58:57 »

Plus of course ours are still being delivered and testing hasn’t been going on for long.

Perhaps this thread’s title should be amended?  There are no plans to use them on services to Oxford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:32 »

There are no plans to use them on services to Oxford.

But they were originally announced as being for the Reading-Oxford services as well - have a look at the first posts in this thread. If I have understood the position from following this over the last three years this has changed and Reading - Basingstoke is now the other route they will cover.

Which inspires an idea, partly stimulated by Marlburian's recent post -

Time was when I would take the train to a nearby town or village and walk, before returning home by rail. But the current hourly service to and from Tilehurst doesn't encourage this, compared with the previous half-hourly one.

As for travelling east through Reading, it seems eons ago since in January 2020 I was lamenting having to hang around on the station for a connecting service at certain times of the day.

I didn't bother to renew my Senior Railcard that expired two weeks ago.

We currently have two "gaps" without OHL (Over-Head Line) on services around Reading - Didcot to Oxford, and Reading to Basingstoke. The former is now a fractured service with changes/delays at Didcot. For some reason the stopping Reading to Didcots have still not been restored to half-hourly. As Marlburian says, this is quite a disincentive to using the train to get into Reading or take a connecting train onwards, with the prospect of possibly nearly an hour's wait (or two if there's a cancellation). Furthermore, there is the somewhat frustrating sight of lightly loaded 8 coach trains running hourly when 5 years ago it was a much more convenient half hourly off peak service run comfortably with 2 or 3 car trains. 

I appreciate that compared to the travails of Melksham passengers (once again highlighted by today's posts) this seems like a "first world problem", but every reduction in service frequency is another group of people who will think "why bother with the train, I might as well drive".

So - if there's some reason why the pre-covid half hourly off peak stopping services continuing on to London cannot be restored, why not combine the Reading - Oxford stopping services and the Reading-Basingstoke one into an hourly Oxford-Basingstoke, reversing at Reading, one that can use 769s switching power at Reading and Didcot, thereby restoring a half-hourly stopping service from Reading to Didcot, and also possibly releasing a few more Turbos for the west? 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:58:51 by eightonedee » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:49 »

Oxford was dropped from the plans very early on.

There wouldn’t be enough units to cover the North Downs planned diagrams if they were used on an Oxford to Basingstoke service, though that indeed might well be a more sensible utilisation of them…though there are a few arguments against as well.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2021, 13:29:34 »

OTC
I'm not sure abouth the "behaving reasonably" part - Roger Ford's 'New Train TIN Watch' shows the TfW 769s to be performing relatively poorly in reliability terms (think only the Crossrail 345s were worse) and the relevant topic on the RailUK Forums has many reports of fewer 769s being out in service each day than intended (although I'm not sure if some of that is due to COVID-related delays in staff training or if they have trainned enough staff).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2021, 22:45:34 »

The improvement has been very recent and fewer (bad) reports are being entered.

OTC
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:40 »

One has ventured to Southampton

769930 on the 5Q19 0647 Reading Depot to Southampton and return

https://twitter.com/skuttersrule/status/1417746816091701251?s=21
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2021, 11:21:45 »

One has ventured to Southampton

769930 on the 5Q19 0647 Reading Depot to Southampton and return

It is escaping! Perhaps it wants to run away and live with a 230 on the Isle of Wight! Grin
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2021, 18:54:42 »

Prompted by the mention of them in the recent/current Weymouth thread, any more news on when they will be ready for service (recalling Spring 2019 as the original target date....)?

And how many have been delivered?

And any information as to what the principal problems causing all this delay might be?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: