Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:47:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would reducing fares increase passenger numbers by 40%??  (Read 2727 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:06:51 »

From Rail Technology Magazine

Lower prices could lure 40% of non-rail users into trains, study finds

Trains are too expensive, according to those who prefer to travel by other means.

According to a report, ‘Tomorrow’s passengers: understanding how to make rail travel more attractive to infrequent and non-users’, published by Transport Focus, almost 40% of people who never or rarely travel by train argue that the cost is the main reason, closely followed by inconvenience.

Cost was consistently considered the main barrier across a variation of demographics – income, location and disability – and older people and those not working were more likely to consider that the fares are too complicated.

Those with access to a car find it more convenient overall, but also named station parking as a barrier, due to either a lack of space or the cost of parking.

We need to be very careful what the report's saying.  It is NOT saying "lower fares would push passenger numbers up 40%" - indeed, if fares were slashed numbers could go up by much more than that.   I don't know what proportion of the UK (United Kingdom) population would regard themselves as "rail users" as all the commonly published stats are about journeys made per head of population per annum ... and to get an average of 20 journeys from a sample of of 20 people, you could be looking at everyone making some journeys, or you could be looking at one daily commuter and 19 none-users.

Having exercised due care in looking at the data, and guessing that a third of the population are "train users", the report suggests that 40% of the rest could be lured into trains - that's an 80% increase in passenger numbers.  What proposition of those new users would reach the average 20 journeys per annum is another place I'm guessing, and I also wonder whether the trains (and infrastructure such as car parks) would have enough capacity, how much fares would have to drop to get that uptake, and what the overall balance sheet would look like - would it make economic sense, either for the rail industry or for the wider economy?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:29:48 »

Common sense suggests that lower fares would encourage greater use of trains, though I would be reluctant to put a figure on it.
Rail fares are generally perceived as being either very expensive or very complex, or both.

Advocates of trains would point out that fares can in fact compare favourably with the TOTAL cost of driving. Unfortunately most potential passengers regard a car as an essential part of modern life. Having already obtained a car and paid the fixed costs thereof, the MARGINAL cost of using it is little more than the petrol cost.

Even those who commute regularly by train still need a car so as to get to work in case of rain, low temperatures, wind, signalling failures, heatwaves, and strikes. Having paid the fixed costs of motoring, driving all the time may become more attractive.

In recent years driving has got cheaper in real terms and rail fares increased. Cars have also become more comfortable and better specified, whilst many consider that trains are now worse.

Under present and reasonably foreseeable circumstances I cant realistically see any chance of  a general reduction in fares in order to attract more passengers. Most TOCS are suffering from severe overcrowding at peak times and clearly cant properly cope with present numbers, let alone an increase.

I have previously suggested a great simplification of rail fares, with only three different fares for the same journey instead of the present complexity.
This would not reduce peak time fares, some would increase.
Off peak fares might become cheaper, and extreme off peak would be cheaper. I see no merit whatsoever in charging a punitively high fare for last minute travel on a near empty train.

A simpler fare system, with last minute off peak fares being reduced would encourage more use of local trains for impulsive leisure trips.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:44:34 »

Personally I think there is a lot more scope to publicise the fare deals that are already available and particularly to do this in an easy to understand, very targeted way. 

The report mentions that in a previous study, some non-users who went on a trip as part of the research found that the rail trip was cheaper than they thought it would be (and cheaper than the way they were usually making the journey).  I remember some old BR (British Rail(ways)) research that said people thought rail was twice as expensive as it actually was.  Yes, as we all know, rail can be very expensive but there are also some great deals out there, including for walk up travel.  For local journeys in the far South West, we have mostly very good value Off Peak Day Returns, the Devon & Cornwall Railcard, Groupsave and the various Day etc Rangers.   Targeted marketing of the journey opportunities and fares available is a big part of our work in the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 15:11:12 by RichardB » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:53:31 »

Whilst publicising offers could help, I feel that part of the problem is the need "to search around for the best deal" rather than simply buying an affordable off peak ticket.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 14:04:29 »

Whilst publicising offers could help, I feel that part of the problem is the need "to search around for the best deal" rather than simply buying an affordable off peak ticket.
This.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 15:08:14 »

I agree with that, particularly for longer distance travel, but I was particularly talking about the walk up, mainly local fares that are available.  There's lots of scope.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 15:24:12 »

I don’t believe there is capacity in many places to accommodate a 40% increase.
Today I took the 1115 to Looe, in term time albeit a nice day and all seats were taken, with several standees.
Seeing standing room only is common, and regularly mentioned on here, so why do something to attract more passengers that won’t fit?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 15:57:59 »

People will generally pay higher prices for a quality product or service, in the case of the railway they are currently paying high prices for a pretty poor service on unreliable, overcrowded trains.

Perhaps the best solution is to provide a frequent, reliable service with sufficient capacity, if not for everyone to sit down, then at least to remove the cattle car syndrome.

Were that to be the case, passenger numbers would probably steadily rise without the need for cutting fares (in LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) they will rise anyway due to demographics.

Even a 10% rise in passenger numbers just now would raise overcrowding from appalling to something approaching catastrophic, but as well all know (from GWR (Great Western Railway)) there is no safety risk attached to this  Roll Eyes

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 16:16:26 »

Today I took the 1115 to Looe, in term time albeit a nice day and all seats were taken, with several standees.
Seeing standing room only is common, and regularly mentioned on here, so why do something to attract more passengers that won’t fit?

Plenty of capacity - just at the wrong times of day.

Liskeard to Looe today:
0605 0714 0850 1012 1115 1216 1320 1424 1541 1641 1806 1920

Bet there was room for 40% more on 06:05, 07:14, 13:20 and 19:20 for starters.   Grin

Hard, I appreciate, for the railways to engineer social change to the extent it would be needed

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 16:19:51 »

Even a 10% rise in passenger numbers just now would raise overcrowding from appalling to something approaching catastrophic, but as well all know (from GWR (Great Western Railway)) there is no safety risk attached to this  Roll Eyes

How about a prove rise to deter and reduce numbers.
I was talking with a railway employee (off duty over a pint, not a First Group employee) recently about the poor service TOCs (Train Operating Company) supply and should they do more to encourage repeat travel. His response astonished me, “I can give bad service as we are still overcrowded so it doesn’t matter to my TOC, and in fact may help reduce passenger numbers below overcrowding!”

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 16:20:46 »

Plenty of capacity - just at the wrong times of day.

Liskeard to Looe today:
0605 0714 0850 1012 1115 1216 1320 1424 1541 1641 1806 1920

Bet there was room for 40% more on 06:05, 07:14, 13:20 and 19:20 for starters.   Grin

I caught the 1352 back, roughly 75% of seats taken at a quick look.

Single 153.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 16:23:28 »

Single 153.

Yep, nice day ... down in the morning back through the afternoon.  Did the train arrive at Looe as busy as when it left??

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 16:33:04 »

How about a prove rise to deter and reduce numbers.
I was talking with a railway employee (off duty over a pint, not a First Group employee) recently about the poor service TOCs (Train Operating Company) supply and should they do more to encourage repeat travel. His response astonished me, “I can give bad service as we are still overcrowded so it doesn’t matter to my TOC, and in fact may help reduce passenger numbers below overcrowding!”

That's a truly bizarre way to run a Business................was it just the one pint?  Smiley
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 17:48:26 »

Single 153.

Yep, nice day ... down in the morning back through the afternoon.  Did the train arrive at Looe as busy as when it left??

Good to hear the Looe Valley Line is busy today.  Kids are back at school so it wouldn't necessarily follow that lovely day = full trains.   Richard's basic point is right and that's why we hold back from heavily promoting day trips on the line in the school Summer holidays but, as Graham says, even then, there is space on many non-day trip trains so we don't stop entirely and our promotion tends to be more underlying - walks, a new Foodie Guide about to come out and wider, more general promotion rather than "Plymouth people, why not take a day trip to Looe" which we do a fair bit in different ways outside the very peak times. 

I am very much looking forward to having a Cl150 on the line all year before very long now.  There is also a "cunning plan" bubbling away to lengthen the platform at Looe to allow four coach trains to run in peak Summer. 

More generally, yes, you need to be careful.  Putting on a lovely cheap fare which leads to completely wedged trains means no-one has a good journey, if they even get on the train but, away from the busy trains, there is still much to go at and, here in the far South West, much more from next January.   

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 18:59:23 »

Single 153.

A lot of people piled off the incoming service that makes the 1352, didn’t pay attention to numbers.
The 1352 had a lot of mums with toddlers, presumably making the dash back for the school run for older kids.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: