Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:28:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 802s  (Read 34301 times)
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:20 »

Thanks Bob. I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the seats are fine. I'm 6'7 tall and I actually prefer the new seats as they promote a better seating posture. (Something I struggle with in most train seats, including HSTs (High Speed Train)). Leg room also feels significantly better on IETs (Intercity Express Train).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:43 »

The B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) ride track quality has been getting worse over the past few years, even on an HST (High Speed Train).  I used to commute weekly from the far Southwest to London (and back, of course) and the Up Line has always been the worst of the two.  Although I haven't sampled one of the IETs (Intercity Express Train) along there yet, Im sure its still going to be poor trackwise.

Seems to be generally getting worse.  I had a nice little trip along the Cotswold Line in a HST the other week and was being bounced all over the place.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 10:02:11 »

Can't be doing the trains themselves any favours where the track quality has deteriorated and not yet replaced/repaired.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 10:10:49 »

Thanks Bob. I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the seats are fine. I'm 6'7 tall and I actually prefer the new seats as they promote a better seating posture. (Something I struggle with in most train seats, including HSTs (High Speed Train)). Leg room also feels significantly better on IETs (Intercity Express Train).

I’m not quite that tall but I too appreciate the very generous leg room.  I find the shape of the seats very pleasing but would prefer a smidge more padding.

A trip on an old Mk I compartment carriage on a heritage railway reminded me just how well padded those seats were (bounce, bounce, bounce...), but I found my back was aching after I got off!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:27 »

Seems a dip has been reported on the up near Kintbury on the Berks & Hants this morning which is being attended to by permanent way staff at the moment.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 10:57:21 »

Looking at the customer information screens, it seems today's 07:30 to Penzance and return is being worked by an HST (High Speed Train) (in reverse formation to boot!).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2018, 11:31:28 »

Looking at the customer information screens, it seems today's 07:30 to Penzance and return is being worked by an HST (High Speed Train) (in reverse formation to boot!).

Perhaps after yesterdays outing the 802 needs its post running in period service, my way of saying  is there trouble ?
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2018, 11:53:50 »

Class 800s ran PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) vice 802s before being replaced by a HST (High Speed Train). This needed to happen as 800s are not cleared beyond Newton Abbot towards Plymouth in passenger service.

With only 4 802s in service, any issue will result in some form of HST/800 replacement until more sets are available to do like-for-like swaps (which normally go unnoticed)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2018, 12:43:34 »

Right way 'round, 1st at London end

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2018, 12:47:32 »

CIS (Customer Information System) has been updated - when it was approaching Plymouth it was shown as first class being at the front.   Now nearing Camborne it is at the rear.  (Perhaps it went for a spin around Laira triangle  Grin )
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2018, 13:09:04 »

Perhaps after yesterdays outing the 802 needs its post running in period service, my way of saying  is there trouble ?

So was there trouble, no one is saying as it would be bad publicity if it was.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2018, 03:09:21 »

There seems to be issue at the moment across GWR (Great Western Railway) where IET (Intercity Express Train)'s are being decoupled and re-coupled and are running as 10 cars.  But the plan is eventually that at Plymouth the 10 cars will split, 5 going to Penzance and 5 terminating.  So the issue you mentioned won't be for long. Except for the summer when 9 car IET's will operate instead. 

There's been a lot going on ... and I think I may have missed something in my reading up.  Is there a plan to switch 9 and 5 car duties around every summer to provide more seats through Cornwall?   If so, does this mean that 9 car sets used (perhaps) on London to Oxford will be swapped for 5+5, with five cars headed on though Evesham during the summer rather than 9 cars bearing in mind reduced commuter demand in the holiday season?

I believe so Grahame as far as the research i've done, I do know GWR management would like this to happen, but what they would like and what happens are two very different things.  It would be easier if the fleet was managed and maintained by GWR but as 'progress' has it, thats been outsourced to Hitachi, so I think GWR only get told in the morning what trains are available and then have to rush around to put them on services.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2018, 14:11:27 »

05.53 Plymouth/Paddington IET (Intercity Express Train) cancelled this morning!
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2018, 17:25:00 »

No surprise any replacement or did passengers have to get the Golden Hind and hour later instead?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2018, 18:02:18 »

No surprise any replacement or did passengers have to get the Golden Hind and hour later instead?

No replacement, and yes, the Golden Hind was the suggested alternative.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: