19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:31:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 802s  (Read 34547 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2018, 18:07:54 »

I wasn't sure whether to start a new topic or to add this here......

There was an incident of falling masonry in Whiteball Tunnel around lunchtime today (23/08/18) and a couple of services were diverted via Yeovil and Honiton. Had the incident prevailed long enough for 1A93 (1400 Penzance to London Paddington) to have been affected, then, apparently this IET (Intercity Express Train) diagrammed service would also have been diverted. I am not aware of any physical clearance tests of 802s having been carried out along this diversion, but have heard that clearance testing was just a matter of 'desk checking'. Can anybody confirm this?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2018, 18:59:18 »

There was an incident of falling masonry in Whiteball Tunnel around lunchtime today (23/08/18) and a couple of services were diverted via Yeovil and Honiton. Had the incident prevailed long enough for 1A93 (1400 Penzance to London Paddington) to have been affected, then, apparently this IET (Intercity Express Train) diagrammed service would also have been diverted. I am not aware of any physical clearance tests of 802s having been carried out along this diversion, but have heard that clearance testing was just a matter of 'desk checking'. Can anybody confirm this?

Showing as route cleared via Yeovil and Honiton with a few restrictions.  Also showing route cleared for Par to Newquay, that might be interesting to witness the first one to Newquay.... definitely ‘desk checking’.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2018, 19:11:07 »

05.53 Plymouth/Paddington IET (Intercity Express Train) cancelled this morning!

No surprise any replacement or did passengers have to get the Golden Hind and hour later instead?

No replacement, and yes, the Golden Hind was the suggested alternative.

The two sets were coupled on Laira this morning and the onboard computers didn’t want to talk to each other.  They then couldn’t split the sets and then there were further issues when they eventually managed to split them. 
They both ran up empty up to London with the booked driver from the 0553 but it was heavily delayed enroute by the incident at Whiteball tunnel.  If it’s the same driver working it up tomorrow morning they’ll need to find another IET driver to work as he/she will be over their driving hours. 
There were no spare trains on Laira to cover the 0553.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2018, 19:32:21 »

I believe one made it to Yeovil, or at least the caption my friend posted on facebook with a pic implied it did. I dont know the scenery, so wouldnt know if it was Yeovil, London or Cardiff or anywhere in between!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2018, 20:56:07 »

Wasn't Whiteball tunnel shotballed with concrete to prevent this only 4 years ago?  Network Fail at its best again.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 21:08:36 »

Wasn't Whiteball tunnel shotballed with concrete to prevent this only 4 years ago?  Network Fail at its best again.
I see Whiteball is closed again for three weeks next Feb/Mar. Why so soon after the last major closure?

Is today a clue as to why?
woody

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 15:09:37 »

05.53 Plymouth/Paddington today (Friday) has once again departed Plymouth 45 minutes late arriving Paddington 70 minutes late to conclude what has been a totally disastrous first week of IETs (Intercity Express Train) on this service.
Valleys boy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 16:40:39 »

Total lateness for 05.53 Plymouth to paddington for tue ,wed &fri this week into Padington is 172 minutes
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 17:53:41 »

Total lateness for 05.53 Plymouth to paddington for tue ,wed &fri this week into Padington is 172 minutes

At least it wasn't late on Thursday - just cancelled throughout  Angry
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2018, 18:26:59 »

Have the other four WoE daily trains currently diagrammed for 802s faired any better?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2018, 19:45:00 »

Have the other four WoE daily trains currently diagrammed for 802s faired any better?

Yes, which kind of points to an issue at Laira depot. 
woody

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2018, 16:07:20 »

802003 and 802005 operated the 12.03 Paddington to Penzance today. (Saturday)
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2018, 21:31:19 »

Went on the Class 802 myself for the first time today down to Plymouth, Having experienced the Class 800 earlier in the year. 

I thought id give a brief overview of my thoughts for those who haven't had the chance.

Good points:
The paintwork looks much nicer than the vinyl on 800s
Interior is slightly better with GWR (Great Western Railway) moquette on the seats, although 800012 has the same interior as the 802s.
No brake squeal compared to the Class 800s, whether thats because they've been run in or lessons learned from the 800s?

Bad Points
Not a train issue but a staff one, the down journey had issues with the doors opening which delayed the train, however the return journey didn't have this problem so I can't see it was a train issue.
Certain coaches(the 2nd standard class coach from the front) with underfloor engines seems to vibrate a bit and are a little noisier than other coaches which do have underfloor engines but seem to be quieter(middle coach of a 5 car unit).
Because the train is a lot quieter than the HST (High Speed Train) with its iconic puring MK3s the interior sounds are louder, especially noisy holidaymakers, where as in a Mark 3, the train noise itself would drown out some of the other noise.
Parts of the journey on the hills from Newton Abbot to Plymouth seemed to be slow, especially the bank after Tavistock junction to Ivybridge, and the journey itself seemed to be slower, except timings where faster, this could possibly be because of better acceleration the train is already at speed where as a HST would still be accelerating.

Overall the down journey I wasn't impressed and on seeing a HST fly past the other way I wished I was on it, however the return journey seemed a lot better, although both trips where noisy with shouting passengers (heaven knows why when it was so quiet) I deboarded being fairly impressed, and feel Hitachi haven't done a bad job in replacing the mighty HST.

My only wish is the GWR would get a proper corporate branded interior inside and stop calling them IET (Intercity Express Train)'s and just name them the Castle Class, and call the HST's Kings. Tongue
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2018, 22:11:30 »

We've already got a Castle Class, the shorter formed HSTs (High Speed Train), GT1s
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2018, 23:52:35 »

We've already got a Castle Class, the shorter formed HSTs (High Speed Train), GT1s

Yes I know, but it should be renamed the King Class.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: