Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:50:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 802s  (Read 34287 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:49 »

We've already got a Castle Class, the shorter formed HSTs (High Speed Train), GT1s

Yes I know, but it should be renamed the King Class.

Calling them ‘The Grange Class’ would have been a much more fitting name for the short formed HSTs IMHO (in my humble opinion).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2018, 04:46:02 »

We've already got a Castle Class, the shorter formed HSTs (High Speed Train), GT1s
Calling them ‘The Grange Class’ would have been a much more fitting name for the short formed HSTs IMHO (in my humble opinion).

The original GWR (Great Western Railway) had the King Class, The Castle Class, The Hall Class. The Manor Class, The Grange Class, The Saint Class, The Star Class, The Bulldog Class to name just a few, the new GWR IET (Intercity Express Train) Expresses will have just four classes, the 800/0 class, the 800/3 class, the 802/0 class and the 802/1 class, lump them all together and call them the Uncomfortable Class.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2018, 07:35:20 »

The original GWR (Great Western Railway) had the King Class, The Castle Class, The Hall Class. The Manor Class, The Grange Class, The Saint Class, The Star Class, The Bulldog Class to name just a few, the new GWR IET (Intercity Express Train) Expresses will have just four classes, the 800/0 class, the 800/3 class, the 802/0 class and the 802/1 class, lump them all together and call them the Uncomfortable Class.

The old name families for new trains worry me as they cast back to the days of empire and privilege ... but then we have so many historic names like "London North Easterrn Railway", "Great Western Railway" and "Castle Class" back with us already.

Seeing some of the celebration names of great people already in use on the driving car ends of IETs,  should we look for a consistency (or tendency) across classes, and noting all are bimode ... we need four sets, right?
1. Great People of the Thames Valley, South West and South Wales (in general)
2. Famous Railway managers one end, and union leaders on the other
3. Designer dogs - CockerPoo, Labradoodle, Lurcher ...
4. Daytime and nighttime venues in places served - The White Horse and Club Ice

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2018, 08:05:04 »

The old name families for new trains worry me as they cast back to the days of empire and privilege ... but then we have so many historic names like "London North Easterrn Railway", "Great Western Railway" and "Castle Class" back with us already.

Seeing some of the celebration names of great people already in use on the driving car ends of IETs,  should we look for a consistency (or tendency) across classes, and noting all are bimode ... we need four sets, right?

Perhaps they could name a pair of driving cars after a pair of comedians to commemorate the farce that the IETs are currently playing out at the present time, LAUREL and HARDY anyone.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2018, 14:55:31 »

They aren't that uncomfortable to be honest,  the seats are just a bit hard because the foam is new, give it a year or two it will be fine.  Happens every time with new seats, people moan there too hard, happened when FGW (First Great Western) put the first leather seats in, then when they changed to the GWR leather seats.  Same with bus seats.  To be honest they are a lot more comfortable than the FGW high backed seats.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2018, 17:16:53 »

I love the idea of Number 2 - Hopwood and Crow?  Cheesy

As for the others - 1. Raleigh and Drake

I'm sure 3 & 4 aren't designed to be taken seriously!!! (Although for 4 Soho at one end and Union Street at the other conjures up some interesting images!!!)

sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2018, 06:44:40 »

The IET (Intercity Express Train)'s certainly aren't a patch on the original MKIII's where the seats lined up with the windows. Nor are the seats as comfortable. They aren't terrible, they just don't feel the premium product they should be IMO (in my opinion). I really wouldn't want to be on them for a long journey.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2018, 12:08:08 »

The IET (Intercity Express Train)'s certainly aren't a patch on the original MKIII's where the seats lined up with the windows. Nor are the seats as comfortable. They aren't terrible, they just don't feel the premium product they should be IMO (in my opinion). I really wouldn't want to be on them for a long journey.

One of the complaints about the Mark 3s when originally introduced was that - in standard class at least - the seats didn't all line up with the windows. Unlike the Mark 1 and 2s, BR (British Rail(ways)) used the same bodyshell for both first and standard class vehicles and aligned the windows for first. With the additional seats in standard, they didn't all line up.

That's when the rot set in, and most if not all new trains since then have perpetuated the issue.

Agree with your comments about the seats - they're OK for a Didcot to Padd run, but don't have an 'inter-city' train feel about them.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2018, 13:19:34 »

One of the complaints about the Mark 3s when originally introduced was that - in standard class at least - the seats didn't all line up with the windows. Unlike the Mark 1 and 2s, BR (British Rail(ways)) used the same bodyshell for both first and standard class vehicles and aligned the windows for first. With the additional seats in standard, they didn't all line up.

That's when the rot set in, and most if not all new trains since then have perpetuated the issue.

Agree with your comments about the seats - they're OK for a Didcot to Padd run, but don't have an 'inter-city' train feel about them.

There is nothing wrong with the seats! The foam is a bit hard because its new, same as brand new sofa, they are much more comfortable and don't vibrate like the FGW (First Great Western) Mk3 seats.  As for not lining up with the windows, so don't the current FGW/GWR (Great Western Railway) hst interiors, I wish people would stop finding fault with these new trains when actually there's very little different from the HST (High Speed Train)'s & Class 180s that have been serving for the last 18 years.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2018, 13:25:38 »

Comfort is in the posterior of the beholder.

(Mind you, there are other aspects to it. I find the arm and leg space on IETs (Intercity Express Train) very generous. It would be a shame to confuse posterior comfort with elbow-room.)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2018, 14:33:07 »

I took a trip with several friends who have little interest in trains a couple of months ago, which happened to be on a Class 800.  I deliberately didn't mention that it was a new train and there were no adverse comments from any of them regarding seat comfort, or anything else about the new trains.  There were no positive comments either it should be said, just a general level of ambivalence.  In fact, all of them were just interested in getting a drink, which prompted concerned looks when I said there was no buffet, but fortunately a well stocked trolley arrived shortly after.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2018, 16:13:10 »

I took a trip with several friends who have little interest in trains a couple of months ago, which happened to be on a Class 800.  I deliberately didn't mention that it was a new train and there were no adverse comments from any of them regarding seat comfort, or anything else about the new trains.  There were no positive comments either it should be said, just a general level of ambivalence.  In fact, all of them were just interested in getting a drink, which prompted concerned looks when I said there was no buffet, but fortunately a well stocked trolley arrived shortly after.

Its better than my first trip on them during their first week in service.  I had an elderly lady ask if it was ok to sit next to me as she didn't know if the seat was reserved, I said it was ok, then pointed out that the seat revervations where now above instead of on paper, she looks at me awkwardly, then said "well its reserved then", I pointed out it wasn't again.  We both sat next to each other for 10 tense minutes before the train pulled into its next stop and she got off.   Turns out she was from a German tourist group who had never been on a FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) train before. Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2018, 18:12:30 »

Having seen pairs of 802s not yet in service (or possibly the same pair?), and heard of them going into service only last month, I was not expecting the 9-car ones for at least a couple of months. However, today the 16:33 Paddington to Exeter (1C89) was formed of 802101, and it was on the juice as it ran into Reading (unlike 9-car 800s, which I've only seen using diesel). Mind you that train was the first of series, delivered from Japan for testing over a year ago, and it was promised into service in July - so it's still late.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2018, 22:19:16 »

Would it have been too expensive to produce two versions of the configuration diagram poster for these trains so they mirrored the up and down configuration on the respective platforms that they are displayed on. The one displayed on down platforms is the 'wrong way around' and the reader needs to ' mentally mirror it' to reflect what appears when the train is on the platform.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2018, 07:07:45 »

Would it have been too expensive to produce two versions of the configuration diagram poster for these trains so they mirrored the up and down configuration on the respective platforms that they are displayed on. The one displayed on down platforms is the 'wrong way around' and the reader needs to ' mentally mirror it' to reflect what appears when the train is on the platform.

Here's our more local flavour

Seems to be something of a misconception in the diagrams that 5 car trains are taller and wider (OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) size) whereas 9 cars are N gauge and 10 cars Z scale. Or perhaps it's a psychological trick to make us think they're all really very much the same size.

Noting "London end" ... are we headed very much for same-way-round consistency soon?   Sorting out A-B-C  v 1-2-3 or E-D-C v 1-2-3 ?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: