I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:07:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 802s  (Read 34298 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2018, 08:40:14 »

Can't quite read that fully, Grahame.  What is the word in brackets after the uppermost Coach A?  It looks like SH**.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:00 »

It is "Shhhh"   Seems we can't cope with "Quiet Coach" anymore.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2018, 08:43:51 »

Thanks Bob.  My naughty mind at play then.  What on earth are they thinking (or not, as the case may be?) Roll Eyes
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2018, 16:35:53 »

So the Existing pair of 0730 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ and 1400 PNZ-PAD is now embedded into the schedule. Any ideas as to what pairing to/from Cornwall will see the second IET (Intercity Express Train) working?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2018, 18:20:35 »

Today's 14:00 ex Penzance formed of 2x5 car 802s has come to a stand with an air leak between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2018, 19:17:24 »

Today's 14:00 ex Penzance formed of 2x5 car 802s has come to a stand with an air leak between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway.
Thanks Bob.  I had already put details in the IET (Intercity Express Train) thread Roll Eyes
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2018, 09:57:39 »

So the Existing pair of 0730 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ and 1400 PNZ-PAD is now embedded into the schedule. Any ideas as to what pairing to/from Cornwall will see the second IET (Intercity Express Train) working?

The 0635 off Paddington is an IET today, just passed it at Plymouth at 0945.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2018, 15:07:36 »

Today the 0730 pad to Penzance and 1400 Penzance to Paddington was 2 x 5

And the Royal Duchy (about noon off Penzance I think) was a 9 car. Possibly the first day of this one becoming a IET (Intercity Express Train)

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2018, 20:53:09 »

The 0635 off Paddington is an IET today, just passed it at Plymouth at 0945.

9 car

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2018, 17:28:14 »

I guess this subject has been done to death over multiple threads, but I accompanied the Good Lady Wife up to the Big Smoke from Exeter today on the Armada (1A72 0553 Plymouth to London Paddington). As it has been for a while now, it was formed of 2x5 Class 802s (802003/005). We sat in the middle coach of the rear set. It was our first long-distance journey by 802. Without any prompting, this is the GLW's opinion............
Good......... plenty of leg room (she suffers from Restless Leg Syndrome and regularly needs to get up and walk around), so she was able to sit for longer; Quieter engines; Good acceleration; A 'pleasant experience using the toilet"!;

Bad........... Too much under-floor vibration (she wondered why it disappeared after Reading until I told her we were running on  leccy then); Seats a little too hard; Too many loud Safety announcements; Manual announcements from the Guard could not be heard; "WHERE'S THE BUFFET?" she enquired, shortly after leaving Taunton as she wanted her usual cup of tea. "WAIT FOR THE TROLLEY TO COME TO YOU" says I. Well, we waited and we waited and we waited for the non-existent Trolley - which was apparently in the front set;
Asked to rate the experience out of 10 - her response......... 6
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2018, 18:18:08 »

And whose crystal ball was it that specifically forecast that on "a 5+5 train, the trolley will be in the other portion"
Such forecasts were widely held to be unduly negative, but this occurs regularly.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Geoff DC

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2018, 13:15:49 »

1st trip on an IET (Intercity Express Train) yesterday, the 10:57 Paddington Penzance 10car 2x5 - 1C79 - Failed between Racecourse & Newbury due to a ‘Technical Fault in the lead set’ but eventually 'fixed by the driver' so 20L at Newbury and increasing thereafter.

Rammed through to Cornwall, my first class reserved seat was K48 in standard so something amiss in the booking engine maybe. Fortunately there were a few spare seats in the other car.

Not as bad as expected, 1st Class seat was just about OK for comfort (I’m 6’2”), but ride noise & vibration possibly worse than the HST (High Speed Train) I had the day before in the Up direction, I guess the one improvement will be less jolting with wheel slip.

Ambience & design wise not really suitable as a long distance Inter City Train, especially with no buffet & very limited trolley service, but fine for Inter City commuters like Bristol/London.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2018, 16:43:53 »

From your reservation issue it may have been a substitution for a 9 car set

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2018, 16:45:48 »

802101 is the only nine car version and this is not diagramed into any particular route. Mainly running to Plymouth at the moment however I’ve had it on a couple of Cheltenham’s and I did see it on a Worcester at Reading.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2018, 17:39:48 »

802101 is the only nine car version and this is not diagramed into any particular route. Mainly running to Plymouth at the moment however I’ve had it on a couple of Cheltenham’s and I did see it on a Worcester at Reading.

I've just tried reserving both a First Class and a Standard Class seat on that service for next Sunday. The GWR (Great Western Railway) website came up with K55 (First Class) and F10 (Standard), so it would appear that the booking engine is set for a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: