I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:52:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photography at Saltash  (Read 3474 times)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2018, 18:35:55 »

Evening al,

Would like some advice here.

A little later this year I plan to try and photo, from the Plymouth end of Saltash station, a train crossing the Tamar Bridge. Would probably try this late morning and on a sunny day. I would also like an unobstructed view of the bridge if I can get one.

I propose to set up tripod plus camera at the location given in the attached image (or on the flat bit next thereto) which I think would give the best location. However I do not know Saltash station well enough to know if such a vantage point - my likely intended location is indicated by the arrow on the attached image - would be possible. Any members of this forum know how close to the bridge you can go? I have no wish to do anything illegal and am not thinking of going on the track before anybody asks!

Image taken from Google Earth.

Cheers,
Dave
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 18:41:53 »

Looks like the downslope from platform to line - not a public area is it?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 18:58:20 »

Looks like the downslope from platform to line - not a public area is it?

I propose to set up tripod plus camera at the location given in the attached image (or on the flat bit next thereto)

Think you could set up a tripod on the flat bit at the top.  But may be blocked by trees and you may do better from the other platform.  See attached image.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/communities/railway-enthusiasts/railway-enthusiasts-and-photography-at-stations/
http://www.btp.police.uk/safety_on_the_railway/safety_on_and_near_the_railway/rail_enthusiasts.aspx
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/info/10673_filming_of_station_staff.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 19:00:28 »

Was there just over a week ago. The limit of public access is clearly marked with 'No passengers beyond this point' signs. Slightly unusually these are at the bottom of the platform slopes.

The position you propose to photo from should be fine provided your tripod is well clear of the platform edge.

Attached is a picture I took on my recent visit. You can see there is a low wall at the Plymouth end of the down platform from behind which you should get a clear unobstructed view with a fairly wide lens. Don't lean over the wall though. It's a long way down!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 20:52:13 »

Was there just over a week ago. The limit of public access is clearly marked with 'No passengers beyond this point' signs. Slightly unusually these are at the bottom of the platform slopes.

Indeed - and I amend my comments that suggested top of the slope or opposite platform.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 21:03:22 »

Thank you for that useful point, and for the picture. Looks like a group of people being given the chance to walk across the bridge. When was that?

Anyway I would therefore wonder whether I would get away with using the flat bit at the bottom of the platform slope if I kept camera and tripod well clear of the running line? Presumably not so the opposite platform might as you suggest be the best location. I can set up my camera to be controlled from my phone through use of an app as I have a wi-fi adapter device I can plug into it which would establish a direct connection without a router being needed.

Dave
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 21:12:12 »

Provided you obey signage and stay on the platforms away from the edge you should be okay.

Saltash is unstaffed, but should there be any roving GWR (Great Western Railway) or Network Rail staff around, then do comply with any requests they make regarding your positioning.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 21:39:17 »

Looks like a group of people being given the chance to walk across the bridge. When was that?

July 12th, 2015 - see http://twcrp.info/t15792

Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 08:16:21 »

You will be OK.
The low wall mentioned by BNM above is the one Mr Portillo and I sat on when we did the piece on RAB a couple of years ago for his programme. Yes, it is a long way down!
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 12:41:50 »

You will be OK.
The low wall mentioned by BNM above is the one Mr Portillo and I sat on when we did the piece on RAB a couple of years ago for his programme. Yes, it is a long way down!
Thanks for that. It is a bit confusing: it would be understandable if they didn't want people putting cameras on the flat bit at the bridge end of the Penzance-bound platform but if that was the case they should put signs in advance of the flat bit stating so.

Cheers,
Dave
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 23:00:01 »

I have taken photos at the bridge end of both platforms. The down platform is best in the morning as the sun is in the right place to shine on the trains heading through the station and on the bridge. I have stood on the flat section to get photos of trains over the bridge.
The other platform is better for the afternoon once the sun has moved around. The road bridge is also a nice place to get photos from of trains coming through the station although the view of the Royal Albert Bridge is covered by trees from there.

Late summer evenings about 7 or 8pm onwards the Tamar bridge walkway is a nice place for shots of trains crossing the bridge too.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 23:46:11 »

Thanks Marky. I think I will aim to get to Saltash for about 10:45 but I will be coming from Bristol and doing it by road: the fuel economy on my car is such that the fuel would probably cost less than the train fare.

Would photos taken from the road bridge late in the morning (I am hoping to photo one particular train on the day in question and have been waiting for the opportunity for ages) get the sun on the road bridge side of the train? Or would that not work? I would hope to get the sun on the train for the best shot so if getting the sun on the road bridge side of the train would be unlikely late morning then I will wait for the train to return from Penzance although that would be a very long wait.

Dave
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:27 »

The problem with the road bridge is you need to stand towards the up platform end due to a big tree over the down platform end of it, which means the sun is on the wrong side of the train. The best time for photos here is about 4pm onwards.

This is a great site for seeing where the sun will be: http://www.suncalc.net/#/50.4071,-4.2092,18/2018.04.23/09:21

Just move the time slider and the sun indicator moves around the location.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 19:29:37 »

The problem with the road bridge is you need to stand towards the up platform end due to a big tree over the down platform end of it, which means the sun is on the wrong side of the train. The best time for photos here is about 4pm onwards.

This is a great site for seeing where the sun will be: http://www.suncalc.net/#/50.4071,-4.2092,18/2018.04.23/09:21

Just move the time slider and the sun indicator moves around the location.
Cheers Marky for that useful link. Train I want should, if on time, get to Saltash at around 11:30 by which time, if SunCalc is correct, the sun should be at 5 o'clock to my right. I could try to use the tree to keep the sun out of the shot and then use the zoom on the bridge. I will see how I get on.

Dave
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: