Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:47:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: May timetable  (Read 12153 times)
Steve Bray

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:37 »

I know that some us get very impatient waiting for news of timetable changes, but has the May North Downs timetable been 100% finalised?

There seem to be one or two omissions, notably the 0634 from Reading to Gatwick and the 0728 from Redhill to Reading, as well as some late evening trains
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 13:16:40 »

I know that some us get very impatient waiting for news of timetable changes, but has the May North Downs timetable been 100% finalised?

There seem to be one or two omissions, notably the 0634 from Reading to Gatwick and the 0728 from Redhill to Reading, as well as some late evening trains

There's an 06:32 Reading to Gatwick (arrive 07:50), and an 07:28 Redhill to Reading (arrive 09:00) as far as  I can see - the 06:32 being a fast train and the 07:28 a stopper.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 14:36:19 »

Thanks.

That is reassuring, although I am not seeing these times on the usual sites, National Rail, Open Trains etc, hence my query.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 14:51:23 »

Thanks.

That is reassuring, although I am not seeing these times on the usual sites, National Rail, Open Trains etc, hence my query.

Understood.  Bit slow coming through there I suspect - see personal message.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 19:23:14 »

Incidentally, the current (interim) franchise originally required GWR (Great Western Railway) to publish new timetable booklets at least four weeks ahead of the change date. That was reduced to two weeks very soon after (May 2015). For information on their web site, the requirement is still for four weeks - by my reckoning, that's yesterday, and where are they?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 21:34:16 »

Incidentally, the current (interim) franchise originally required GWR (Great Western Railway) to publish new timetable booklets at least four weeks ahead of the change date. That was reduced to two weeks very soon after (May 2015). For information on their web site, the requirement is still for four weeks - by my reckoning, that's yesterday, and where are they?
Well they failed that at the December tt change. But to be fair they had redone a number of their tt’s.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 20:12:52 »

Earlier in the year, it was noted on another thread that the times in OTT (Open Train Times website) for today's new timetable had been moved to roughly where they would be for the 3 tph (2 Gatwick _+ 1 Redhill) service, though still with only 2 tph running as before. In the event, the times have only been shifted by the odd minute or two. I guess the most likely reason is to fit with the new GTR masterplan timetable at the far end, and the small timing changes of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services may be part of the same effect.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:39 »

This extract from a station poster may help.

FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 20:07:49 »

That list of timetable changes has been changed. The 0903 departure from Gatwick is not stopping at North Camp or Blackwater, thus creating a one hour gap in services to Reading at a rather important time of day.

It also means there are no services from Farnborough North to Blackwater between 0833 and 1032.

As a user of both stations, this is frustrating.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 00:28:25 »

That list of timetable changes has been changed. The 0903 departure from Gatwick is not stopping at North Camp or Blackwater, thus creating a one hour gap in services to Reading at a rather important time of day.

It also means there are no services from Farnborough North to Blackwater between 0833 and 1032.

Those are two distinct changes. The first drops two added calls on a train (9:44 from Guildford) that used to not even stop at Wokingham, but now does. The gap is however longer due to the retiming of the train that used to run before it, and is now 9:48 from Guildford. The timetable made that all stops and with a longer gap before it, but now it doesn't stop at North camp or Blackwater. That is seriously odd - both are stops on all other trains except that 9:44, but why drop just two calls that the semifasts make from a stopping service?

Is this hour - after 9:00 - rather important? Certainly its timetable on this line has always been rather odd. There is an extra (third) train, but somehow the service is worse than before or after it. This time, those two trains seem to be the only example of the 'leapfrog at Guildford' feature that we expect to happen all day in future.  Maybe they are trying it out to see how the timings work.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:51 »

I guess the most likely reason is to fit with the new GTR masterplan timetable at the far end, and the small timing changes of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services may be part of the same effect.

It looks like the Gatwick departures are nearly all at **00 which has made the penultimate departure to Reading a bit lop-sided further down the line than it used to be.

I agree and hopefully it's not the thin end of the wedge. Skip-stopping when it was introduced East of Guildford removed a lot of journey opportunities to/from smaller stations entirely. I realise there are a lot of operational constraints on this line - I did read a proposal regarding a road overbridge at Ash recently which would solve one problem going towards 3 tph. I know it's not that practical or cost effective ticketing wise but catching the 0846 and changing at North Camp or the 1004 and changing at Sandhurst and coming back are other 'possibilities' to get to Blackwater in the err.. new blackout.

Is this hour - after 9:00 - rather important? Certainly its timetable on this line has always been rather odd. There is an extra (third) train, but somehow the service is worse than before or after it. This time, those two trains seem to be the only example of the 'leapfrog at Guildford' feature that we expect to happen all day in future.  Maybe they are trying it out to see how the timings work.

It also looks like platform 6 is being used/tested at Guildford for semi-fast Reading departures in general with the next SWR Ascot service being switched to platform 8. The Redhill train is due to depart 4 minutes after that **44 Reading train leaves, so late running potentially causes problems waiting for a platform now.

I also noticed the last train from Reading to Gatwick cancelled the other day. GWR (Great Western Railway) should avoid doing that if at all possible (indeed any TOC (Train Operating Company) should endevour to run the last train or make alternative provision). Also, in the case of the North Downs, the last trains are not all stations so you could make an argument for running at least the last 2.

I hope the drivers keep on top of these irregular calling patterns!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 11:02:59 »

They could always opt for this hi-tech reminder used elsewhere  Grin

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 11:28:16 »

They could always opt for this hi-tech reminder used elsewhere  Grin

It continues to amaze me that despite the detailed analysis of every 'stop short', 'fail to call' or 'station overrun' a driver is involved in, the powers that be seem very slow to try to develop technology to try to reduce these incidents.  All you get are posters such as that one and other very lo-tech solutions.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 17:53:54 »

A slightly tardy update.

The morning one-hour service gap at North Camp and Blackwater was rectified on 1 August:

2V54 ex-Redhill at 0851 now calls at North Camp (1001) and Blackwater (1009).

Farnborough North passengers are still cursing the removal of their call on 1O79 ex-Reading at 1732 however. A friend who holds a season ticket sent in a complaint and received a quite detailed explanation, not to mention a three-figure sum of rail vouchers!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: