Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:47:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Server issues  (Read 44520 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2018, 17:31:05 »

Just to let members know ... few funnies going on.  I am away with limited access / just note may be some service issues

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:24:06 »

Hi Grahame.  Just to let you know (not a criticism) that message still cropping up at odd times saying 'database gone away' or 'unable to connect to server'.  Usually solved by retrying a few times.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:29:19 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 13:47:04 »

Hi Grahame.  Just to let you know (not a criticism) that message still cropping up at odd times saying 'database gone away' or 'unable to connect to server'.  Usually solved by retrying a few times.

Totally known ... but thanks for confirming it's not just me.

From where I am this week,  I dare not try too much; very limited access (no shell access to server, no scp, Lisa's vpn left her dead in the water.  And that's on what's called "the works".  A grumble to the provider here, and I'm told "funny you should ask - someone else was asking just this morning".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:07:33 »

Just to let members know ... few funnies going on.  I am away with limited access / just note may be some service issues

Pinging this to the top ... normal service should resume from Friday, perhaps with some engineering overrun to Saturday.  Problems due to lack shortage of technical admins on one of the rare occasions we needed them!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 13:28:52 »

I am now back with regular access ... and have been looking around at flakiness during the week.  And I note from our logs that the Ahrefs Bot has been making up to 42,000 requests of our server per day - that's an average rate of one request for a page every 2 seconds!

So what is this robot?

AhrefsBot is a Web Crawler that powers the 12 trillion link database for Ahrefs online marketing toolset. It constantly crawls web to fill our database with new links and check the status of the previously found ones to provide the most comprehensive and up-to-the-minute data to our users.

Link data collected by Ahrefs Bot from the web is used by thousands of digital marketers around the world to plan, execute, and monitor their online marketing campaigns.

This data has immense value for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - ) community as it helps marketing professionals to better understand the fundamental algorithms of the world's largest search engines so that they could optimize websites accordingly. Every 24 hours our crawler visits over 6 billion web pages and updates Ahrefs’ index every 15-30 minutes.

Looking around, I see we're not the only ones to have this issue:

Not sure when Ahrefs went dark side, but with the amount it was hitting my forum I had to make it stop. It was killing everything.

And whilst it may be of value to the advertising community, I'm not sure what value if any it adds to our site.

They describe themselves as a "good bot":
According to a recent third-party study of “good bots”, AhrefsBot is the second most active crawler after Googlebot.
Now - Googlebot is certainly most welcome ... but in our site is far less active than AhrefsBot - averaging about 6,000 requests per day, with a peak of just over 10,000.   Me thinks that the AHRefsBots folks describe themselves as a "good bot" in the hope that none-technical people will believe them.   As far as we're concerned, they're aggressive users of bandwidth for purposes of their own business profit - harvesting data the harvesting of which is no use to us.  And indeed they've been so aggressive that they caused a great deal of worry while I was supposed to be forgetting everything for a week's holiday!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:45:42 »

Unscheduled outage from about 04:30 for about 3 and a half hours - sorry folks.  My alarms went off but I was sleeping like a log.     Since the Ahrefs bot problems described a week ago and the banning of that naughty bot, the server has returned to a much more stable state.   I have been watching but refraining from making other adjustments until convinced with a good degree of certainty that it really was that loading that gave the truly massive problems I had the previous week.  Once I did wake, fix was minutes rather than hours and I would have wasted time (and left debris) had I shifted to our backup status page on another server.  So decision was few more minutes of no data for a quicker return.

Also been watching things like Google Analytics to ensure that there were no indirect consequences of banning the bot, and I'm delighted to confirm that telling it to go away has - thus far - had zero effect on visits.   Big sigh of relief as it confirm that Analytics data is a meaningful statistic.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 22:19:46 »

I will be rebuilding some tables overnight after the backup system has started to play up in last hour.  Tiny chance of losing late evening posts.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:44 »

As ever, grahame, may we offer you our very grateful thanks for your sterling efforts - usually behind the scenes - in maintaining the Coffee Shop forum.  Wink Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 01:55:07 »

I will be rebuilding some tables overnight after the backup system has started to play up in last hour.  Tiny chance of losing late evening posts.

As ever, grahame, may we offer you our very grateful thanks for your sterling efforts - usually behind the scenes - in maintaining the Coffee Shop forum.  Wink Cheesy

I feel a bit of a fraud tonight ... no need to to do the rebuild in the end.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 02:16:34 »

No worries - you can credit our collective thanks to your previous sleepless nights instead. Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 20:37:13 »

I will be rebuilding some tables overnight....

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 21:33:42 »

My pet hate.  Always seem to end up with bits left over.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 21:48:41 »

My pet hate.  Always seem to end up with bits left over.

Pocket screws ... the ones you put in your pocket after you've rebuilt the table?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 18:39:39 »

Noting server down for a while this afternoon ... I have been offline and now changig trains - think I have kicked it back into order but need to run for train 2000.  Will check in later and see if it's AOK.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 19:54:40 »

Think it is!   Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: