What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:11:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Server issues  (Read 44388 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2019, 18:48:29 »

Sorry about downtime - significant database crash. Coming back up.

Greetings from Newport, Rhode Island  Grin - and test post

Trickling back ... should be restores as was at 14:10 checkpoint.   Some images still to be restored.   Limited access prevents full analysis - just concentrating on getting it going (and not missing last tender back to ship!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2019, 18:54:35 »

Sorry about downtime - significant database crash. Coming back up.

Greetings from Newport, Rhode Island  Grin - and test post

Trickling back ... should be restores as was at 14:10 checkpoint.   Some images still to be restored.   Limited access prevents full analysis - just concentrating on getting it going (and not missing last tender back to ship!)

OK ... some issues remain but I will need to look at them tomorrow (in next port).   Deep issues on which I have not trained / instructed a backup person - sorry, folks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2019, 16:06:16 »

I blame Brexit!
Or possibly a drone attack, maybe even a swarm of drones.

More seriously, thank you for all your work.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:08 »

I am noting - and I'm sure other members are too - that our server has been staggering a bit over the last few days, with dropped connections and various other messages from time to time.  I'm taking a look but no magic wand.

If you are making a significant post (i.e. one that's taken a time to write and you really don't want to have to rewrite), take a copy on your local system before you post please - just in case the post goes wrong. And should you accidentally make a duplicate post, don't worry too much - one of the moderators / admins will understand and remove the second copy.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 10:12:19 »

If it helps these are the messages I have been getting:

Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/firstgreatwestern/httpdocs/coffeeshop/Sources/Display.php
Line: 145

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:42:58 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:52 »

If it helps these are the messages I have been getting:

Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/firstgreatwestern/httpdocs/coffeeshop/Sources/Display.php
Line: 145

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sadly I am getting similar messages.   Tried most of the normal things.   Will try some abnormal things this evening but working today.

Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2019, 15:52:26 »

Ah, it wasn't only me! I've just double-posted (again) in another thread after I got the above messages or nothing seemed to happen when I pressed "post".

Marlburian
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2019, 17:52:31 »

Ah, it wasn't only me! I've just double-posted (again) in another thread after I got the above messages or nothing seemed to happen when I pressed "post".

Marlburian

I am experimenting - 17:50 on 10.12.2019 .... please take copies of everything you post.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2019, 19:09:38 »

Marlburian

I am experimenting - 17:50 on 10.12.2019 .... please take copies of everything you post.

Still testing - but looks promising.  I have cleaned up a couple of tables that appeared to have got a bit dirty, and the database engine sounds like its purring not grating now.  For those of you concerned as to our long term future, our database engine is electric and indeed has never run on fossil fuel, nor produced particulates.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2019, 01:02:51 »

Presuming that your electricity is obtained from the grid, then some fossil fuel IS consumed and some particulates are emitted by the production of the electricity used by the server.
UK (United Kingdom) electricity is greener than that in many other countries, but by no means completely green.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2019, 07:18:09 »

Presuming that your electricity is obtained from the grid, then some fossil fuel IS consumed and some particulates are emitted by the production of the electricity used by the server.
UK (United Kingdom) electricity is greener than that in many other countries, but by no means completely green.

You are, of course, correct. You also correctly assume our server is in the UK; may move from dedicates to the server to the cloud over Christmas, which is suspect uses less power per page served than the old server.  And in any case (wherever we choose) we are joining in with the electricity industry as they reduce to the point of elimination the use of fossil fuel.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2019, 07:48:48 »

It’s all about striking a balance over climate change or we will all be back in the caves and burning fossil fuel to keep warm.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2019, 09:39:31 »

Seems to be running OK now (well, no messages like before being received now).....and the site seems to be running a bit faster than before.  Thanks for your hard work Grahame.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:58:48 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2019, 21:07:56 »

Just out of interest, what happened to the forum software upgrade that was talked about last year.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2019, 21:12:53 »

Just out of interest, what happened to the forum software upgrade that was talked about last year.

'tis planned for Christmas ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: