Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:22:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A short distance from one of the best to one of the worst...  (Read 2484 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:00 »

Britain's 'best and worst' railway stations have been listed following passenger surveys with Transport Focus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44023411

It struck me that Reading is the 4th best, whereas Oxford is the 3rd worst in the country, though only 56 stations were surveyed.  One of course has undergone a huge amount of investment recently, and one has a 'masterplan' which is on the horizon but lacking funding.  Perhaps it's time to give even more effort into improving Oxford station?  Signalling alterations will help this summer but won't of course change the ambience of the place which has totally outgrown its 90s rebuild.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:19:19 »

I am always reminded how dated Oxford station looks when it features in episodes of Inspector Morse and looks largely unchanged...
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:50 »

If Oxford was still in its pre 1990 state there really would be something to complain about.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:53:51 »

Was either of Bristols two major stations among the 56 in the survey ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:07 »

Bristol Temple Meads was 41st out of 56.

The Guardian has the full list:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/07/glasgow-queen-street-london-kings-cross-railway-station-survey

Transport Focus surveyed 28000 people about station quality, and the results are from 56 stations where they received 100 or more responses.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 18:20:18 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 12:47:49 »

An item on this subject to be included in todays, 7th May, Radio 4 1 o'clock news.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 12:59:25 »

A pretty unsubstantial survey to be picked up so widely by the press, but it does give an indication as to customer opinion I suppose.

Surprising to see Marylebone feature so high on the list given its cramped layout, one third of its platforms a long way from the concourse and frequent complaints about late advertising of trains at the far end of platforms from the likes of Barry Doe, who always likes to take a pop at Chiltern whenever possible.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 13:13:32 »

For the record - 1st and last, and all those with GWR (Great Western Railway) services / connections

1. London King’s Cross 96%
4. Reading 92%
18. London Paddington 88%
19. Heathrow Airport Terminals 1,2,3 88%
22. Bath Spa 88%
23. Heathrow Terminal 5 88%
35. Brighton 83%
41. Bristol Temple Meads 81%
47. Cardiff Central 75%
54. Oxford 67%
55. Gatwick Airport 66%
56. Glasgow Queen Street 58%

For next time, we really must hear about it and hand out forms ourselves at other stations.  Imagine getting focus on facilities at Patchway and Pilning!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 13:18:00 »

For next time, we really must hear about it and hand out forms ourselves at other stations.  Imagine getting focus on facilities at Patchway and Pilning!

Wot about Melksham too !
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 16:39:36 »

Most of what I take to be "60s" stations I think are fairly dire. Wokingham was before it was rebuilt, coloured in my case in that I could remember the original Victorian buildings. Gloucester is awful, in my estimation, Swindon is similarly unattractive from my point of view.
Ultimately, what is the criteria that they are judged by? Clapham is old and suffers from lack of maintenance, and short-sighted thinking (can't understand how what used to be the world's busiest station has short platforms), but works well enough. I also hate Gatwick, the signing/wayfinding is pretty dire. Were a lot of poor/short-sighted decisions made in the 60s around the time of Beeching which we are still paying for?
In the past railways never had architects, it was always the responsibility of the Chief Civil Engineer but in Victorian times they managed to produce wonderful structures, love Brighton and the Balcombe Viaduct (sorry Southern origins showing). Something was definitely missing in the 60s.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 17:14:37 »

In many cases it is the overcrowding in the open spaces rather than any specific facilities per se. Gatwick is a terrible melee at times with a confused mass around the inadequate ticket office / machines. Oxford has a crushed footbridge, and minimal canopy for the length of the platforms.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 17:55:13 »

My experience of Marylebone on a very cold December day left me far from impressed.  There were no enclosed waiting areas unless you prepared to spend money on drinks or food - I spent a lot of time in W H Smiths. Further my platform was displayed only 3 minutes prior to departure despite the train having been there for some time. Earlier platform indication would have meant that we could have sat in the warm

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 21:27:59 »

Birmingham New Street 3rd Huh

I though it was shopping centre not a station.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 21:46:57 »

Birmingham New Street 3rd Huh

I though it was shopping centre not a station.

Was talking about this with Lisa today.  We came to the conclusion that people answering this survey are likely to be people starting or ending their journeys, rather than places you change.  New Street may be great for a start / end of journey.  For a change it remains a dark and squashed cavern ... perhaps our problem is more because were moving out of one rammed XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train and then cramming onto another rammed one.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: