I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:54:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: M1 diversion: Drivers warned to expect delays over weekend - 12 / 13 May 2018  (Read 1968 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2018, 00:04:22 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

M1 diversion: Drivers warned to expect delays over weekend

The M1 is being closed so a bridge can be put in place for the new Kegworth bypass in Leicestershire

Drivers including football fans and people catching flights have been warned to expect disruption while part of the M1 is closed over the weekend.

Junctions 23A to 24, near East Midlands Airport, will shut from 22:00 BST on Friday to 15:00 on Sunday.

Fulham FC(resolve) fans had asked for the closure to be put back an hour because of their match against Derby County.

But Segro, which is putting a bridge in place for a new bypass. said it had advised of the closures since March.

Highways England authorised the motorway closure but is not involved in the construction of the Kegworth bypass.

Former MP (Member of Parliament) Tom Greatrex, who is chairman of the Fulham Supporters Trust, expects to be stuck in congested traffic for several hours after leaving the Pride Park stadium in Derby on Friday night.  He asked Highways England if they could close the road an hour later.

"It's not Highways England's fault as the game has been scheduled at short notice on a Friday night, but I thought it might make a bit of sense to avoid a whole load of chaos by starting an hour later," he said. "The closure is going to start at 10 o'clock and at about quarter to ten, roughly, there will be about 30,000 other people coming out of the Derby ground. I would expect a chunk of those would normally be heading towards the M1 by car."

Segro said in a statement: "This project has taken months of intricate work with numerous organisations and we began advising of the closures in March to help people plan their diversions.  Given the high level of planning and coordination involved in this project, we regret that we can't change the timings this close to start of the operation.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Traffic was stopped for more than four hours on Friday morning on the northbound carriageway of the same stretch of motorway.  This was after a truck was involved in a crash and shed its load.

It's not just on the railways where significant engineering maintenance / improvement work has to be done, sometime or otherRoll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 06:34:54 »

Former MP (Member of Parliament) Tom Greatrex, who is chairman of the Fulham Supporters Trust, expects to be stuck in congested traffic for several hours after leaving the Pride Park stadium in Derby on Friday night.  He asked Highways England if they could close the road an hour later.

"It's not Highways England's fault as the game has been scheduled at short notice on a Friday night, but I thought it might make a bit of sense to avoid a whole load of chaos by starting an hour later," he said. "The closure is going to start at 10 o'clock and at about quarter to ten, roughly, there will be about 30,000 other people coming out of the Derby ground. I would expect a chunk of those would normally be heading towards the M1 by car."

It's not just on the railways where significant engineering maintenance / improvement work has to be done, sometime or otherRoll Eyes

A fine example of a major sporting event planned at late notice after traffic infrastructure closure for works has been planned at what was anticipated to be a quiet time.

Common sense comment and request for a start about an hour later from Tom Greatrex. But he's right only to ask (and not demand with indignation) in my view. Criticism may be due to the people who scheduled the match to clash, but even there we don't know if they were aware of / checked for other goings on, how real (an how much of a storm in a teacup this is), and what other constraints there were.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:15:59 »

A fine example of a major sporting event planned at late notice after traffic infrastructure closure for works has been planned at what was anticipated to be a quiet time.

Common sense comment and request for a start about an hour later from Tom Greatrex. But he's right only to ask (and not demand with indignation) in my view. Criticism may be due to the people who scheduled the match to clash, but even there we don't know if they were aware of / checked for other goings on, how real (an how much of a storm in a teacup this is), and what other constraints there were.

It was a play off semi final so not a scheduled fixture in the normal run of things, the teams/venue wouldn't have been known until the end of the season a week or two ago.

Pride Park is only a mile or so from Derby station but sadly the last train back to London for Fulham fans left before the match finished which would at least in part explain the vast numbers driving instead. Perhaps a more joined up approach from the transport providers would have helped?

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:20:59 »

There possibly might have been an option to flip the fixtures round as it is done over two legs, but I guess they didn't want their supporters to travel to Derby for a Monday night fixture either.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 08:13:05 »

So this numpty wants a project that has more than likely been planned for 2 years, several hundred construction workers and their plant mobilised, local authorities, Police etc made ready; the date of the closure published ....................  Huh

For a football match that was planned at the drop of a hat ....................... really  Undecided

And this person is supposed to be an MP, I thought they were supposed to be concerned about "public sector" be more efficient like the "private sector" ..................... 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:30:48 »

And this person is supposed to be an MP (Member of Parliament), I thought they were supposed to be concerned about "public sector" be more efficient like the "private sector" ..................... 

No it is the fact that such people have such little understanding which makes our public services so inefficient despite the skills of those 'experts' trying to run them. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 08:49:14 »

So this numpty wants a project that has more than likely been planned for 2 years, several hundred construction workers and their plant mobilised, local authorities, Police etc made ready; the date of the closure published ....................  Huh

For a football match that was planned at the drop of a hat ....................... really  Undecided

And this person is supposed to be an MP, I thought they were supposed to be concerned about "public sector" be more efficient like the "private sector" ..................... 

No, he acknowledged that it wasn't a Highways England issue and in his capacity as Chairman of Fulham supporters Trust politely asked if the road could be closed an hour later than planned, not sure how that makes him a "numpty"?

The football match wasn't organised at the "drop of a hat", the playoff semi final had been in the calendar from the start of the season, the teams taking part can't be confirmed till the end of the season

......and he's not an MP - perhaps worth reading the whole article and/or doing a little research  before commencing frothing at the mouth?  Smiley
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:06:21 »

Could the football match kick off an hour earlier?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:21 »

No, he acknowledged that it wasn't a Highways England issue and in his capacity as Chairman of Fulham supporters Trust politely asked if the road could be closed an hour later than planned, not sure how that makes him a "numpty"?

Agreed - he would have been a numpty to demand ... he's asked a sensible question.  I suspect that the chairman of a team's supporter's trust has little or no influence over the scheduling of matches such as this.

Looking around for potential "numpties" who are making for significant traffic problems, I'm reading of a couple who've chosen to have their high profile wedding next weekend at the end of a branch line that is having to have special measures put in place to cope, when his granny has a big place in central London that's all set up for big events, has excellent transport links and probably will be empty that day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 09:32:59 »

Agreed - he would have been a numpty to demand ... he's asked a sensible question.  I suspect that the chairman of a team's supporter's trust has little or no influence over the scheduling of matches such as this.

Looking around for potential "numpties" who are making for significant traffic problems, I'm reading of a couple who've chosen to have their high profile wedding next weekend at the end of a branch line that is having to have special measures put in place to cope, when his granny has a big place in central London that's all set up for big events, has excellent transport links and probably will be empty that day.

I recall watching an interview with a disabled ex serviceman who served with Prince Harry who invited all those who think he is stupid, feckless etc, to serve two tours in Afghanistan, learn to fly an Apache attack helicopter, found and maintain a charity that transforms the lives of the most vulnerable children in Africa, and similarly start a worldwide paralympic multi sport games that does similar for servicemen who have been terribly wounded defending our freedoms, to give similar service and then come back and have the same conversation.

I thought that summed it up pretty well.

I don't think we are yet so churlish as a Nation to try to tell such a man where he should and shouldn't spend the happiest day of his life.

Walk a mile in a man's shoes Graham.

(.....and there are two stations in Windsor by the way!)  Wink

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:53:44 by TaplowGreen » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:43:14 »

Whilst I respect the Royal couple, and agree that they are entitled to hold the wedding where they wish, I feel that London might have been a better choice for such a high profile and popular event.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 16:43:51 »

Whilst I respect the Royal couple, and agree that they are entitled to hold the wedding where they wish, I feel that London might have been a better choice for such a high profile and popular event.

I suppose it depends on how you define "better", and from whose perspective?

I struggle to picture an Equerry or similar saying "Sorry Sir, Windsor's a non starter, GWR (Great Western Railway) can only run 3 car trains into Windsor and Eton Central"  Smiley

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 07:35:09 »

I doubt that an Equerry would comment in detail on the inadequacy of a particular train service, they are probably not even aware of the details.

I could however see such an advisor suggesting "I feel that a London venue might be a better choice, your Highness. Large numbers of your loyal subjects will no doubt wish to attend, and London is better served by numerous public transport links. For those unable to make the return trip in one day, London also the merit of numerous large hotels" 

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: