Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:17:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Westbury Works, Xmas 2018  (Read 4580 times)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2018, 00:51:33 »

Hi all.

Looking well ahead I see from the GWR (Great Western Railway) list of engineering works that there are to be works in the Westbury area between 22-Dec-2018 and 01-Jan-2019. The works will involve "major track layout changes".

I realise it is probably too early to ask but any ideas what is necessitating these works?

Dave
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:06:05 »

I don’t know anything specific Dave but I think the last time Westbury track layout was modified was in either 1983 or 84.

One observation I have made is trains approach the station very slowly, particularly eastbound on platform 3.

Graham may know a little more about the forthcoming work as it will affect Transwilts services over the Christmas New Year period.

I almost post about this and the work taking place between Reading and London and Bristol and Newport over the Christmas/New Year period the other day when I saw GWR (Great Western Railway) had listed these on the Engineering works page of their website.

A lot of work going on over this time. Strange to be thinking of Christmas in May, but the speed this year is going it will soon be here. Let’s hope we have a decent summer between now and then.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:10:59 »

The EAS says something about the work, but as usual not a lot:
12 DAY BLOCKADE. GWR (Great Western Railway) SERVICES BETWEEN
LONDON AND THE WEST OF ENGLAND TO RUN
VIA WESTBURY AVOIDERS. GWR AND SWR» (South Western Railway - about)
SERVICES TO TERMINATE AT / START FROM
WARMINSTER AND TROWBRIDGE. GWR
SERVICES BETWEEN BRISTOL AND WEYMOUTH
TO REVERSE AT HEWYWOOD ROAD JCN (Junction).

FREIGHT SERVICES TO / FROM SOMERSET
QUARRIES TO RUN VIA WESTBURY AVOIDER. NO
ACCESS TO / FROM ANY SIDINGS / STABLING /
LOCO FACILITIES AT WESTBURY. NO ACCESS TO
/ FROM LDC AT WESTBURY EXCEPT FOR TRAINS
REQUIRED FOR THIS POSSESSION.

WORK = WESTBURY NORTH S+C RENEWAL AND
IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) SIGNALLING WORKS WESTBURY STATION.

SPECIAL WORKING INSTRUCTIONS REQUIRED
FOR REVERSALS AT WARMINSTER AND
HEYWOOD ROAD JCN (gpl 732 SIGNAL).

"Renewal" doesn't sound like a change at all, but I think it's used to cover any replacement, not just like for like. But I don't think it extends to new tracks or platforms.

And as to "IEP signalling works" ... ?
Incidentally, that 12-day blockade runs 23/12/18 to 4/1/19, not just to the 1st. (EAS version from March.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:06:42 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:31 »

And as to "IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) signalling works" ... ?
Incidentally, that 12-day blockade runs 23/12/18 to 4/1/19, not just to the 1st. (EAS version from March.)

Moving of signals to allow full platforming of 2x5 and 9 car Class 802s perhaps. Currently P3 up direction at Westbury has a signal that, if on red, prevents 2+8 HSTs (High Speed Train) from fully platforming. Moving this signal may also necessitate the remodelling of the crossovers from the Up Reception and Back Road sidings.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 15:02:56 »

More details

W2018/5962122
 C70 S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) - Complete Renewal 113A
 95m11ch and 110m55ch
W2018/5964150
URFDO Inspections 109m52ch and 109m77ch

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 19:29:47 »

More details

W2018/5962122
 C70 S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) - Complete Renewal 113A
 95m11ch and 110m55ch
W2018/5964150
URFDO Inspections 109m52ch and 109m77ch

Can anyone translate?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 20:14:39 »

As far as I can understand. Renewing switch 113a, I have tried to find a shot of the panel to see which one that is. The 95m 11ch to 110m 55ch is from the east of the panel box to just before Fairwood Jct, about a mile in length. The former is on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) route and the latter on the original WS&W route, representing a change of mileage
URFDO is Ultrasonic rail testing between distances given, the 20ch from Westbury N Jct.
I would imagine that renewal and relocation of said switch and associated signalling along with platform extenstion(s).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 20:20:11 »

It means complete North Junction layout renewal in 113A rail section (which is the usual flat bottom heavy duty stuff at 113lbs/yard).

As it happens, I passed through Westbury earlier today (12/05/2018) and there is already a TSR (Temporary Speed Restriction) over the station junction (think it was 40mph, but only got a very quick glimpse).  I suspect its reached the end of its life after being hammered to pieces by all of those heavy stone trains since 1985.

Edit to Add: For those that want a little bedtime reading try reading pages 16 to 21 of this:
https://www.thepwi.org/member/network_rail_track_delivery_update__steve_featherstone/nr_track_delivery_update_28_may_2014/pway_design_guide_2011

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:47:17 by SandTEngineer » Logged
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 01:56:00 »

As far as I can understand. Renewing switch 113a, I have tried to find a shot of the panel to see which one that is. The 95m 11ch to 110m 55ch is from the east of the panel box to just before Fairwood Jct, about a mile in length. The former is on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) route and the latter on the original WS&W route, representing a change of mileage
URFDO is Ultrasonic rail testing between distances given, the 20ch from Westbury N Jct.
I would imagine that renewal and relocation of said switch and associated signalling along with platform extenstion(s).
I wouldn't know what would be meant by "switch" 113A. Plenty of photos of the panel in this link: might there be a photo here?
http://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/347-signal_box

Dave
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 08:27:58 »

I wouldn't know what would be meant by "switch" 113A. Plenty of photos of the panel in this link: might there be a photo here?
http://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/347-signal_box

The reference and link provided by SandTEngineer explains very well
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: