I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:01:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inadequate Passenger Information Signage on Network Rail stations  (Read 1590 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2018, 22:22:58 »

This evening on my way back home I noticed another example of a pitfall for passengers unfamiliar with the way things are.

The first leg of my journey got me to Reading at 19-14, with (for a change) enough time to enable me to catch the onward 19-19 stopping service to Oxford. Recently these have been conveniently (for those of us arriving at Platforms 4 - 6 on the North Downs line) departing from Platform 3. Tonight though it was 12B, so up onto the overbridge I went.

Now I am aware that there are two trains leaving Reading for Oxford at 19-19, the one I was hoping to catch, and another non-stop. Walking along the overbridge to Platform 12 I glanced up at the small dot matrix sign above me. It is one of those that shows a limited number of trains, typically 6 at a time at most, and moves slowly through a sequence of 2 or 3 "screens" showing trains by destination in time order, alternating with 2 or 3 showing a selection of destinations in alphabetical order. Who has time to wait for the screens to go through the sequence until they find the information they need?

The last line of this screen read - "19-19 - Oxford - Cancelled"

I imagine that most people going for my train would have assumed that it had just been cancelled and given up! I happen to know as a "regular" that there are two trains, and mine would have been additionally described as a local stopping service.

The point of this anecdote is that the train information at Reading is dreadful in most of the areas used by passengers in the "new" part of the station. There are some decent information signs - such as the display above the information desk at Brunel Plaza, and the screens inside the platform waiting rooms. Most however are too small, so often only display about 5 minutes worth of trains at times. Many are poorly sited such as those on platforms 4, 5 and 6 which are smaller and more widely spaced than the ones they replaced and the ones at the western end part hidden by beams. The (poor) display behind the new information booth on the overbridge hides another screen behind - and there are others behind the retail units between the lift shafts. All this at one of the busiest stations on the network, especially for passengers changing trains.

It is not only Reading. On a recent trip to Bristol, the platform departure signs at Temple Meads did not indicate which service was next, and I struggled to find a sign on the platform with decent information about trains on other platforms.

Is this a particular problem on Network Rail stations? If so, what are the channels of complaint/consultation to get them to do something about it?   
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 23:10:34 »

I had a slightly different problem at Reading in that I couldn't work out which trains were the stopping service. I was trying to get to Twyford and all the screens I could find only had the final destination. There is the short hand code of stopping services generally being listed as Ealing Broadway and fast as London Paddington but there are some of the latter that stop at Twyford. It may have been because I was on the upper concourse. There are screens on the individual platforms but as I was running late and carrying luggage it was a bit of a hassle to get to them and I then had to chose as only had time to get to one platform.

I'm sure now someone will point out the giant screen I missed but I didn't seem to alone in struggling to find the Twyford train. The Ealing shorthand is useful but it did take me a while to become aware of it and I'd imagine passengers passing through wouldn't know of it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:28:53 »

Is this a particular problem on Network Rail stations? If so, what are the channels of complaint/consultation to get them to do something about it?   

I suspect ir relates to bigger stations in general, which will correlate to Network Rail stations.

There are far more trains running in most places than at any time in the past, and in places screen / dynamic display real estate has shrunk.  Result - too much data to display easily in a single go. Further, with so much connectional traffic and the connections often being quite quick, siting becomes none-obvious.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:52 »

Some interesting posts on how railways handle things but (Health Warning; thread drift coming):

Yesterday I was stood at one of the bus stops in Plymouth city centre that has one of the new LCD 'next services' displays.  It correctly informed me that my next bus was at xx time and duly counted that down to scheduled departure time.  Following services, to different but close destinations to mine, started to correctly appear behind mine.  Departure time reached, then suddenly my service disappears from the display and following services step up in its place.  Oh, whats happened to my bus?  Never mind, I'll catch the next service due in one or two minutes and walk part way home.  Guess what happend next........
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:00:19 »

There are at least two 'next service to ...' display s at Reading - if you can find them. The issue as I see it are that the screens are too small and placed too high up in general.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 21:34:56 »

....and in places out of the sightline of passengers, especially in the circulation areas inside the gatelines. The one inside the main town-side gateline was clearly positioned by someone who used to enjoy going to the pantomime and shouting out "it's behind you"!

Yet there (as I mentioned) much better ones in the waiting rooms on the platform.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 06:31:02 »

Once at Reading I was asked about what the next train was to somewhere by someone with a Dutch accent when he was right underneath the next train indicator on the transfer deck.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: