10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:09:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Through train to Corfe Castle  (Read 11429 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:44:16 »

On Saturday 9th of June SWR» (South Western Railway - about) are running a service, 1L11, from Basingstoke (07.22) to Corfe Castle via Yeovil and Weymouth. (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W10661/2018/06/09/advanced)

At Weymouth one set is removed and forms the 12.10 to Yeovil Junction and 14.12 return.
The Corfe set returns at 15.45 combining with the set at Weymouth to return to Waterloo.

The SWR Weymouth service is a summer dated one but I am not sure if the Swanage Railway trip is repeated. On other Saturdays there is a Swanage-Wareham shuttle.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 14:50:24 »

From 12th Feb 2018, at 06:56

But I suspect that 158 887 was just dreaming ... really headed for Southampton Central!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 17:00:24 »

I’m surprised not more is being made of this yet or is it still TBC even though it’s showing up in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:12:31 »

This is from today’s Dorset Echo. However it mentions the Wizard as an HST (High Speed Train). I presume they are wrong

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16243566.Extra_rail_services_to_be_a_boost_for_tourism_this_summer/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:26 »

This is from today’s Dorset Echo. However it mentions the Wizard as an HST (High Speed Train). I presume they are wrong

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16243566.Extra_rail_services_to_be_a_boost_for_tourism_this_summer/

1O72 - still class one train extra on summer Saturdays - shown in GWR (Great Western Railway) timetable without refreshments (clue) and running just as fast as the other trains on the line (second clue).  No "Weymouth Wizard" in the list of named trains (third clue).  Extra train back - 18:30 off Weymouth - is class two, similar timings to other trains on the line (fourth clue) and calling on request at the halts (fifth clue).

I suspect the Dorset Echo is a bit clueless!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:46:01 »

1O72 - still class one train extra on summer Saturdays - shown in GWR (Great Western Railway) timetable without refreshments (clue) and running just as fast as the other trains on the line (second clue).  No "Weymouth Wizard" in the list of named trains (third clue).  Extra train back - 18:30 off Weymouth - is class two, similar timings to other trains on the line (fourth clue) and calling on request at the halts (fifth clue).

Or recirculating a previous years news.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:10:54 »

As are most so called 'local news outlets' now all owned by the same company. Some articles you see nowadays must be written by someone hundreds of miles away and are mainly click bait. Very sad to see 'local journalism' become so trashy.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:58 »

Very sad to see 'local journalism' become so trashy.

In fact, neither local nor journalism.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:31:21 by Timmer » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 14:14:17 »

When I looked at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the Basingstoke - Corfe is shown as NOT calling at Weymouth on its outward journey as the Weymouth times are not bold as are those at other stopping points are so presumably is only to detach the leading unit whilst the rear unit then reverses to Wareham thence Corfe.

Also RTT shows two round trips Wareham - Corfe one single leg of which is shown as Operator WR  so I do wonder if this a precursor of possibly peak holiday season Wareham - Swanage trips and is for WR personnel to obtain traction familiarisation in preparation for stock hire-ins as previously on this forum it was stated that preserved diesel stock would not be ready in time for this summer ?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/CFC/2018/06/09/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 14:20:38 »

Swanage Railway aren't planning to run a regular service until September. I would imagine the cost of paying West Coast to operate the service last year was too much to do this year despite good loadings.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 15:33:47 »

West Coast (WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority))) are shown on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) to be running services  every Saturday from 16th June.

Also a friend has received this from Barry Doe regarding SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service:
"SWR can’t tell me why it’s only showing for June 9th (something I knew about a few days ago) but assures me it runs every Saturday from this one until September 8th"

and

"The fare is £10 from Salisbury to Corfe (very cheap indeed) or £5 from Weymouth/Wareham – which is also cheap. For those who arrive Wareham from the east on Waterloo trains it’s still £5."
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 16:54:04 »

When I looked at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the Basingstoke - Corfe is shown as NOT calling at Weymouth on its outward journey as the Weymouth times are not bold as are those at other stopping points are so presumably is only to detach the leading unit whilst the rear unit then reverses to Wareham thence Corfe.
I’m presuming that’s a data error.  There’s little to be gained from not calling, and when I looked last week the return train did make a normal call.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 17:27:08 »

From a follow up in the Dorset Echo
( http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16243566.Extra_rail_services_to_be_a_boost_for_tourism_this_summer/ )

We have been asked to point out that the Great Western Railway summer Saturday train will not be provided by a High Speed Train (HST) as stated in the original article. A HST used to provide the service to Weymouth on summer Saturdays.

Instead this year, a six car turbo train will be laid on for passengers.

Which I think is the Dorsetshire way of (not) saying "sorry, we's gotten it rong!"

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 17:40:30 »

When I looked at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the Basingstoke - Corfe is shown as NOT calling at Weymouth on its outward journey as the Weymouth times are not bold ...

"Please stand back from the edge of platform 2 - the next train is not scheduled to stop here" ... and, yes, I have heard that announcement at Weymouth!

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 17:46:33 »

When I looked at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the Basingstoke - Corfe is shown as NOT calling at Weymouth on its outward journey as the Weymouth times are not bold ...

"Please stand back from the edge of platform 2 - the next train is not scheduled to stop here" ... and, yes, I have heard that announcement at Weymouth!

So have I, usually when the empty stock for the Wizard was approaching the platform for the return to Bristol.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: