08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 11:08:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] A daily picture from my recent travels
[57] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[54] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[47] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[45] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[41] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Through train to Corfe Castle  (Read 11431 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 17:56:57 »

Good on The Dorset Echo for correcting their story and removing the picture of the HST (High Speed Train).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 23:14:46 »

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for Saturday morning’s through service is now showing a proper Weymouth passenger call:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W10661/2018/05/26/advanced

Paul
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 06:04:55 »

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for Saturday morning’s through service is now showing a proper Weymouth passenger call:

Paul

Someone somewhere must have accessed this forum and acted accordingly. Amazing how influential this forum is.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:40 »

So why is this not being promoted by either Swanage railway or SWR» (South Western Railway - about)?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:58 »

Paul

Lone WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) operated journey also changed to SW now.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 09:02:35 »

Looking to be a sensible use of a six car (2 x 159?) train from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) land to Weymouth on summer Saturdays - one unit providing fill in shuttles to Yeovil, and the other headed for Wareham, with three round trips to Corfe Castle.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:24 »

Maybe they are going for a 'soft launch' before publicizing it.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:42 »

The services are starting TOMORROW, 26th May. Have just received this from SR(resolve) via Twitter

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/events/detail/summersaturdayspecial.

it is already loaded into Twitter
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:23 »

Sorry, I meant Real Time trains!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:31 »

Dorset Echo article on the new service starting tomorrow:
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16248529.New_tourist_train_between_Weymouth_and_Corfe_Castle_starts_this_weekend

A NEW summer rail service will link Weymouth and Dorchester with the Swanage Railway.

Passengers will be able to take the train direct to Corfe Castle station on the steam railway branch line. They will then have the option to hop on a steam train down to Swanage.

It’s thanks to a partnership between Weymouth-Waterloo operator South Western Railway (SWR» (South Western Railway - about)) and the Swanage Railway which will help relieve congested roads by enabling visitors to travel to Purbeck by train. It will also connect Corfe to the national rail network. Continues...

Great initiative and great to see something operating from the mainline onto The Swanage Railway this summer.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:32 »

National Rail enquiries reckons it can't find a fare, but gives you the times.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 08:12:39 »

National Rail enquiries reckons it can't find a fare, but gives you the times.

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) website isn't any better. In fact it can't even find the trains. Searching for Clapham Junction to Corfe Castle on 26th May or 2nd June I get
We haven't been able to find any trains or fares for your chosen routes and dates. Please try again or contact our Telesales team on 0345 6000 650

Having read the Swanage Railway link above, It seems as though from further afield you'll need to buy two sets of tickets. One for the SWR Corfe castle train and one for your connecting train.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:37:44 by Surrey 455 » Logged
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 09:05:53 »

My reading of the information put out by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) is that through fares are only available on the through train, or perhaps later trains from stations between Weymouth and Wareham

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:28 »

My understanding is that this was only ‘put to bed’ just in time for this weekend. The publicity giving full details was only sent out yesterday.
 In a reply to me, Chris Loder of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) says that  “services will all be clear and accurate next week for the summer, but they will be SW services in the times as per 26th May”

It would suspect that the tickets are specific to that train and add on ones are needed to travel from other stations.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 11:13:04 »

The farthest 'away' you can travel from, on the £10 Promo Day Return (valid on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains only) to Corfe Castle, is Salisbury. And then from any station that the specials call at, with the Promo Day Return reducing to £5 from Weymouth onward. There are no other fares to Corfe Castle.

Anyone wishing to travel from further afield, connecting into the specials, will need to buy split tickets.

Guess where I'm headed as I type?

The Promo Day Return is valid on earlier returns from Corfe Castle at 1210 (if you only want 30 mins there!) and 1410. Those are shuttles to Wareham, where you can change for services to Weymouth. Travel from Weymouth onward with GWR (Great Western Railway) does mean purchase of another ticket though. This is what I'm doing. Returning from Corfe Castle at 1410 to Weymouth. Then from Weymouth at 1603 to Maiden Newton, with a Day Single.

This service must hold some kind of record. Four reversals en-route. Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Weymouth, Wareham.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:19:24 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: