Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 21:50:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Mile.  (Read 1259 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:59:04 »

My First Mile is a new gimmick to entice people onto the buses in Bristol and is accompanied by a video too.

I'll write this post as if I were the female depicted in the video.

It's so nice to wake up on a beautiful morning, shower, dress, put the make up on and proceed to the kitchen and put the kettle on, pour out the cereals into the beakfast bowl and put the bread in the toaster.

I think to myself that it's time to book a taxi so I phone a special number which will provide a taxi at a specified time to a designated 'loitering point'.

I enjoy my breakfast and now it's time to leave home and make my way to the designated 'loitering point' which is an area of pavement near my residence that is marked out by the application of a clear vinyl 'mat' affixed to the pavement being a white square with rounded corners and the words 'My First Mile' printed within the square.

I join / am joined by another commuter and low and behold a taxi in Bristols regulation blue colour arrives to take us to the nearest bus stop.

Now just a note about taxis, London has its iconic black cabs but here is Bristol they are unique in being the local regulation Bristol Blue colour, they can be from any manufacturer, any model so long as they are coloured 'Bristol Blue'.

Clambering into the taxi with my fellow commuter(s) we are driven to the nearest bus route and stop which is uneventful arriving, better by luck than judgement, just a minute before the next bus into the city centre.

Arriving in the city centre I alight from the bus and stroll to my office, feeling as fresh as a daisy and walk in to the office, take my coat off and say 'good morning' to my boss.

After I've helped my boss up from the floor I say to him, "are you alright". "Yes", he says, "it's you, are you alright, you're not the usual Miss Grump this morning, you spoke before you were spoken to". "Oh, I've discovered a new way to commute in every day" and I explained my new morning commute to him.

Wind the clock on to 5.00pm, just like in the video I phone the special taxi number and book a taxi from the bus stop where I get off the bus from the city and low and behold there will be a connecting taxi to my front door waiting. "Oh", I think, "I want a ready meal for tonight and some milk and bread for tomorrow mornings breakfast, not to worry the taxi will wait while I pop into my local convenience store without the meter running as its all a fixed fare".

With my shopping completed, in the action portrayed in the video it was a CO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) convenience store which I used, I was then conveyed to as near to my front door as was possible where I alighted and crossed the wonderfully manicured lawn lovingly cared for by the garden contractors used by the management company and paid for out of the exhorbitant fees they charge as a condition of my lease, to enter my home bearing no stress of a home commute in the car, no wondering how was it I missed knocking that cyclist off as he weaved in and out of the traffic in front of me, it's a miracle that I didn't flatten that pedestrian that dashed across the pedestrian crossing in front of me even though I had the right of way.

Don't believe me, then just watch the video and read the sub-titles ;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKXTTqL1xQ4
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:15:30 »

I was amused to see that comments are disabled for the video.  Can't imagine why  Roll Eyes

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:19 »

Seems to be promoting taxis. Interesting* that her morning bus was on the northbound side of Gloucester Road, I guess her office is in Aztec West** or the Bradleystokegifford area rather than the city centre.

*Not particularly.
**Site of the unbuilt underground station, of course!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: