Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 02:19:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tube map includes Paddington via Hayes to Heathrow  (Read 5346 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 24, 2018, 13:45:19 »

New London "Tube" map ... now includes Transport for London services that will become part of the Elizabeth Line.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

Now shows seven stations for Acton - how many stations does a town / suburb need ??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 14:36:34 »

I wonder if the Tube Map is not approaching the limits of readability? It's good to have multiple options combined in one source but there comes a point when it's overwhelming, confusing, especially for people who don't know the city well (tourists, business visitors).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 14:41:23 »

I wonder if the Tube Map is not approaching the limits of readability? It's good to have multiple options combined in one source but there comes a point when it's overwhelming, confusing, especially for people who don't know the city well (tourists, business visitors).

No, that's the "London's Rail and Tube" map (previously "London Connections").
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 15:04:33 »

That's this ...

to compare within the same post:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 15:35:12 »

That's this ...

In case I was a bit too subtle there, I meant that "that" was the one that's complicated enough to be confusing - or hard to follow, anyway. (Though it does more of that a bit further east.)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 16:43:46 »

It shouldn't be called the Tube Map any more. If TfL» (Transport for London - about) really thinks it is useful to have a map of all services on rails that they operate to the exclusion of those operated by others they should go back to the practice of the 1956 map which just had a roundel with 'Railways' across it.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 17:46:11 »

That's this ...

In case I was a bit too subtle there, I meant that "that" was the one that's complicated enough to be confusing - or hard to follow, anyway. (Though it does more of that a bit further east.)
You were quite clear. It's the map that isn't (or might not be)!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 21:26:24 »

Notice the area around the Heathrow Terminals. In the older map it is quite complex trying to show the various validities of the services within / without the Central Area. The TfL» (Transport for London - about) Pic. IS valid for the Zone 6 Central Area, but HConn and HEX are NOT. In the latest map there doesn't seem to be any variations at all - apparently all services are valid for Zone 6.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 00:29:41 »

Heathrow Express is not shown on the new TfL» (Transport for London - about) tube map. It is shown on the 'Rail & Tube' map with the legend/key (missing from the image extracts in this thread) making it clear that Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), Contactless and Travelcards are not valid on Heathrow Express between Paddington and Terminals 2&3.

All services except Heathrow Express are valid for Zone 6. Oyster and Contactless holders can use Heathrow Express between Terminals 2&3 and Terminal 5. Paper ticket holders with validity to Zone 6 can use Heathrow Express between T2/3 and T5 after obtaining a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket.

From September 2018 Oyster and Contactless will be accepted on Heathrow Express with special fares applying. No detail yet on the price of those fares.

One thing I have noticed with the inclusion of the TfL Rail line to Heathrow is the poor choice of colour on the 'Rail & Tube' map. The solid blue chosen is too close in hue to that of the Piccadilly Line. I think a better contrasting colour should have been used.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 00:59:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:52:27 »

Heathrow Express is not shown on the new TfL» (Transport for London - about) tube map. It is shown on the 'Rail & Tube' map with the legend/key (missing from the image extracts in this thread) making it clear that Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), Contactless and Travelcards are not valid on Heathrow Express between Paddington and Terminals 2&3.

Full map and key at http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

All services except Heathrow Express are valid for Zone 6. Oyster and Contactless holders can use Heathrow Express between Terminals 2&3 and Terminal 5. Paper ticket holders with validity to Zone 6 can use Heathrow Express between T2/3 and T5 after obtaining a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket.

Clear from the "TfL Rail Map" at
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-rail-map.pdf
which has (I think) been updated since I started this thread as it was earlier giving a duplicate of the above/

One thing I have noticed with the inclusion of the TfL Rail line to Heathrow is the poor choice of colour on the 'Rail & Tube' map. The solid blue chosen is too close in hue to that of the Piccadilly Line. I think a better contrasting colour should have been used.

Agreed. Perhaps the purple of the Elizabeth Line (which it will become) is also unclear when used as a pair of outer lines with a white interior; is this a temporary colour?

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 04:32:55 »

This has something to say about The new map may be of interest
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=108s&v=RH-ghrfZHTQ
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 19:56:22 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 15:06:35 »

So the free inter-terminal shuttles at LHR are now no more. So you now have to pay to go from Central to T4 & T5. That's a scam.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 15:31:56 »

So the free inter-terminal shuttles at LHR are now no more. So you now have to pay to go from Central to T4 & T5. That's a scam.

Who told you that??

... from https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/travel-between-terminals

Free shuttle trains run between Terminal 4 station (Platform 1) and Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3). There are four trains an hour. Please note from 20 May 2018, to travel on the shuttle trains, you can get a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket from the machines in the station. You can also use an Transport for London Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card or a contactless payment card which will not be charged when travelling between terminals.

and

Free shuttle trains are free for travel between Terminal 5 station and Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3). Please note from 20 May 2018, to travel on the shuttle trains, you can get a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket from the machines in the station. You can also use an Transport for London Oyster card or a contactless payment card which will not be charged when travelling between terminals.

CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 16:32:30 »

That's this ...

So you can't get from Terminals  2/3 to 5 except via the Underground Pic. line. That's what the map is saying. Confusing for tourists.
W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 17:08:02 »

Paper ticket holders with validity to Zone 6 can use Heathrow Express between T2/3 and T5 after obtaining a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket.
Paper ticket holders to Zone 6, do not need Terminal Transfer tickets to transfer T2/3 to T5.

Confusion is being caused by Terminal 5 not appearing on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail maps, because they imply that transfer between T2/3 and T5 is via the Piccadilly Line.

I was in the T2/3 station yesterday. There was chaos at the barrier gates every time a Hex train arrived. There was a lot of staff helping out, both Hex and Heathrow Passenger Ambassadors (purple jackets).

Transfer passengers were either being directed to the Transfer Ticket machine or being handed tickets by the staff.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: