I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:35:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Brizzle Arenal....where to mi babber ?  (Read 23017 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 10:59:39 »

To overrule almost the entire council, including those in his own party, is a very interesting move, one that the people of Bristol will be able to give their verdict on at the next mayoral election which is 2 years time is it?
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 11:14:00 »

Does anyone have any idea what is currently being built on Arena Island? Looks like a bridge, which will presumably be moved into position once complete, but to where? And what for?

I'm told that it is a new Pedestrian access footbridge, so at least one new footbridge is being installed in the Bristol area !.

The bridge is complete and cranes have appeared in the past few days to lift it into place
I belief it is connecting to Albert Road
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 11:30:50 »

Yes, it connects the coach drop-off point on Albert Road to the Arena. Oh, hang on... 

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2018, 12:50:08 »

Marvellous Marvin says that the centre is the best place for the Arena but that using that land for a mix of offices and housing will be more beneficial for the city as a whole. Possibly he's right, I don't know. I just doubt that the Nonarena Island will actually be used for anything now.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 13:34:36 »

Reluctantly, I agree with Marvin on this issue. Bristol is not a huge city with spare space for a large Arena, unless expensively done with accommodation, entertainment and retail to ensure that the site is fully utilised for much of the day. The population of Bristol has already grown by 10% in the last 10 years, and is approaching 500K fast,  the need for accessible entertainment venues is essential for a vibrant city. The need for an Arena is more important now than ever.

However, this whole process has been dragging on 15 years and the failure of work not to be in progress is Marvin's, and Marvin's alone.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 09:40:37 »

There is a new sports arena coming to the land around Ashton Gate, expect to see this up and running before this plan at Filton comes to anything
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:54 »

I can see that 'Arena' and 'Sports Arena' both contain the word 'arena', but they are not the same thing.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 11:17:40 »

Bristol must be one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and due to its size, and the population of neighbouring authorities there is a need for a local arena.

The problem with going to London, Birmingham, Cardiff and Exeter is that return public transport stops at 10pm none of them are located easily for Bristol traffic.

I hope that any plans for Filton include

• local rail access
  • monorail for Mall@Criibs car parks
  • central bus station for local and national buses to ensure people can get home
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:45 »

Bristol must be one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

According to the ONS» (Office for National Statistics - website), the Greater Thornbury town region had the second fastest population growth in the UK (United Kingdom) in the period mid-2011 to mid-2016. Curiously, and anachronistically, they refer to this region as you do, as 'Bristol'.

Of course the Brab Hanger site is pretty central for Greater Thornbury...

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 11:59:08 »

Bristol must be one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and due to its size, and the population of neighbouring authorities there is a need for a local arena.

The problem with going to London, Birmingham, Cardiff and Exeter is that return public transport stops at 10pm none of them are located easily for Bristol traffic.

• local rail access
  • central bus station for local and national buses to ensure people can get home

Cant agree with the monorail, non standard and too much to go wrong.
Substitute a standard railway or tramway, and I agree.
A standard type of railway can of course be elevated well above ground if the extra expense and complication is justified.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 12:15:35 »

Cant agree with the monorail, non standard and too much to go wrong.
Substitute a standard railway or tramway, and I agree.

Guided Busway? Understand there may be grants available ...

Or perhaps an opportunity to run a branch railway from North Filton Platorm across the site of the old runway to Cribb's shopping centre before housing locks all alternative routes.   Advantage - transport could link and continue to stations throughout the West of Engalnd.  Disadvantage - new trains with plenty of luggage capacity might be needed
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:23:43 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 12:28:38 »

Monorail. Like Alton Towers?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 12:32:43 »

According to the ONS» (Office for National Statistics - website), the Greater Thornbury town region had the second fastest population growth in the UK (United Kingdom) in the period mid-2011 to mid-2016. Curiously, and anachronistically, they refer to this region as you do, as 'Bristol'.

'Thornbury' is one of the finest hymn tunes ever written, whereas 'Bristol' is a bit drab and pedestrian, so I'm with you on this one.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 12:41:15 »

Monorail. Like Alton Towers?

Smaller centres of population can already boast of having better than anything we are likely to end up with there:

https://www.kdlr.co.uk
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 12:43:42 »

• local rail access

Or how about you put a station on the Henbury loop that just so conveniently passes right by the proposed arena site there!
Of course that would require joined up thinking and actually public transport planning. By a council who have spend millions on replacing three bus routes, with well, three bus routes.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: