I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:20:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Brizzle Arenal....where to mi babber ?  (Read 23016 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2019, 18:54:25 »

From TheStadiumBusiness on 1st May 2019
Bristol’s proposed YTL Arena has named Grimshaw Architects and Manica Architecture as the design team appointed to deliver the project.

The planned 16,000-capacity venue, which Malaysian investment firm YTL envisioned at the Brabazon hanger site, would rival a city centre arena.

Although plans for the project are still at a very early stage, YTL is committed to building an arena in the city by autumn 2022.

Grimshaw’s managing partner Keith Brewis said, according to Bristol Live: “We want to create something that’s a unique experience. The space speaks to me in two ways – on the one hand there is the physicality and the scale of it.

“We have the opportunity to bring that space back to life, and give the general public many different modes to come and see this.”

Manica Architecture recently designed the Chase Center in San Francisco, the future home of the NBA basketball franchise the Golden State Warriors, as well as the 65,000-capacity Las Vegas NFL Stadium, the future home of the Las Vegas Raiders.

Last September, Bristol City Council ditched plans to develop a new arena in the city centre after Mayor Marvin Rees backed a different proposal for a mixed-use development on the Temple Island site. The council had already invested some £12m (€13.3m/$15.3m) into clearing the Temple Island site for a major arena but Rees ultimately backed a different proposal for a mixed-use development.

Andrew Billingham, managing director of YTL Arena Operations, said the larger space outside the city centre would mean “you could attract some of the biggest shows to Bristol”

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 17:01:24 »

New plans for Bristol Arena: in... Southville!!!!
Ashton Gate’s 4,000-capacity sports and convention centre would be the permanent home of Bristol Flyers basketball team as well as being able to host a number of other indoor sports, as well as being a venue for live music and theatre.
As well as the arena that is carefully not being called an arena, the redeveloped Ashton Gate site will contain a four-star hotel, larger shop, museum and car park.
And transport plans, or at least concerns:
Improved transport links to south Bristol will also be a key component of the plans, with Griffiths clearly frustrated with the current metrobus system.

He said: “We have a bus stop called Ashton Gate but sadly it does not stop at the stadium. I’m working on that. If you have a metrobus stop called Ashton Gate, it should stop at Ashton Gate.”
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/sport-news-and-features/ashton-gate-sports-convention-centre-set-to-be-game-changer/

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2020, 21:34:25 »

I want to pay tribute to YTL Developments, the developer of the 400-acre airfield site. Its proposals will lead to the building of a new arena on the border between Bristol and South Gloucestershire, which will be funded without a penny of taxpayers’ money. YTL’s forecasts predict that the project will create 500 jobs, attract 1.4 million visitors per year and add around £1.5 billion to our local economy.

In reusing the existing Brabazon hangar, instead of building a brand-new arena from scratch, the proposals will save 18,600 tonnes of carbon emissions—the equivalent of 11,200 return flights to New York, so I am told. The innovative designs will mean that the Brabazon arena will be able to host touring bands, concerts and sport events in a single venue. Importantly, the arena will boast excellent transport links, including a brand-new railway station at North Filton, a regular MetroBus service and convenient walking and cycling routes. This project is a fantastic opportunity, and I urge Bristol City councillors to get on with granting the planning permission, because delays will only cause costs to increase. The Labour council’s plans to spend £150 million of taxpayers’ money on an arena at Temple Meads in the middle of Bristol were ill-fated, but there is now a great opportunity at the Brabazon hangar site to have a better facility with better transport links at zero cost to the taxpayer. I suggest that the councillors seize that opportunity with both hands.
Source: Jack Lopresti, MP (Member of Parliament) for Filton and Bradley Stoke, Hansard 13 Feb 2020

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2020, 10:47:00 »

New plans for Bristol Arena: in... Southville!!!!
Ashton Gate’s 4,000-capacity sports and convention centre would be the permanent home of Bristol Flyers basketball team as well as being able to host a number of other indoor sports, as well as being a venue for live music and theatre.
As well as the arena that is carefully not being called an arena, the redeveloped Ashton Gate site will contain a four-star hotel, larger shop, museum and car park.
And transport plans, or at least concerns:
Improved transport links to south Bristol will also be a key component of the plans, with Griffiths clearly frustrated with the current metrobus system.

He said: “We have a bus stop called Ashton Gate but sadly it does not stop at the stadium. I’m working on that. If you have a metrobus stop called Ashton Gate, it should stop at Ashton Gate.”
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/sport-news-and-features/ashton-gate-sports-convention-centre-set-to-be-game-changer/

Luckily this one will belong to Bristol Sport and have nothing to do with Bristol City Council
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2020, 11:17:01 »

But unluckily no mention of the possibility of reopening Ashton Gate station on the Portishead line...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2020, 13:37:04 »

But unluckily no mention of the possibility of reopening Ashton Gate station on the Portishead line...

I hope that's not an indication that Bristol Sport have given up hope on that one.  I don't think they have mind you as they have always shown strong support for said station.  Metrobust might be seen as a more achievable objective in the short run, even though it cannot be considered as a workable substitute for a rail link.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2020, 15:40:17 »

Meanwhile...
Filton Arena would have 'significant adverse impact' on Bristol motorway network

Highways England object to 17,000-seat arena near M4, M5 and M32

The Government agency running Bristol’s motorways has objected to plans for an arena at Filton Airfield because it would have a ‘significant adverse impact’ on four motorway junctions nearby.

Highways England, the Government’s motorways agency, has formally objected to the application to turn the Brabazon Hangar into a 17,000-seater arena and told Bristol’s planners the application should be refused until and unless the issues can be sorted out.

What that would mean would be the subject of detailed negotiations between the applicants YTL, the planners and highways experts, but the objection appears to point to fears that a major arena in that location would cause traffic gridlock on the region’s motorways.

[...continues]
Source: Bristol Post

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2020, 18:41:48 »

Meanwhile...
Filton Arena would have 'significant adverse impact' on Bristol motorway network

Highways England object to 17,000-seat arena near M4, M5 and M32

The Government agency running Bristol’s motorways has objected to plans for an arena at Filton Airfield because it would have a ‘significant adverse impact’ on four motorway junctions nearby.

Highways England, the Government’s motorways agency, has formally objected to the application to turn the Brabazon Hangar into a 17,000-seater arena and told Bristol’s planners the application should be refused until and unless the issues can be sorted out.

What that would mean would be the subject of detailed negotiations between the applicants YTL, the planners and highways experts, but the objection appears to point to fears that a major arena in that location would cause traffic gridlock on the region’s motorways.

[...continues]
Source: Bristol Post

I want to pay tribute to YTL Developments, the developer of the 400-acre airfield site. Its proposals will lead to the building of a new arena on the border between Bristol and South Gloucestershire, which will be funded without a penny of taxpayers’ money. YTL’s forecasts predict that the project will create 500 jobs, attract 1.4 million visitors per year and add around £1.5 billion to our local economy.

In reusing the existing Brabazon hangar, instead of building a brand-new arena from scratch, the proposals will save 18,600 tonnes of carbon emissions—the equivalent of 11,200 return flights to New York, so I am told. The innovative designs will mean that the Brabazon arena will be able to host touring bands, concerts and sport events in a single venue. Importantly, the arena will boast excellent transport links, including a brand-new railway station at North Filton, a regular MetroBus service and convenient walking and cycling routes. This project is a fantastic opportunity, and I urge Bristol City councillors to get on with granting the planning permission, because delays will only cause costs to increase. The Labour council’s plans to spend £150 million of taxpayers’ money on an arena at Temple Meads in the middle of Bristol were ill-fated, but there is now a great opportunity at the Brabazon hangar site to have a better facility with better transport links at zero cost to the taxpayer. I suggest that the councillors seize that opportunity with both hands.
Source: Jack Lopresti, MP (Member of Parliament) for Filton and Bradley Stoke, Hansard 13 Feb 2020

I want to pay tribute to Highways England, who have provided the Labour council with the perfect reason to overturn the plan by the Labour Mayor to allow a Malaysian company which isn't noted for non-profit enterprise to build an Arenal miles out of town. (Source: TonyK.) Carrying on with the idea would need a few hundred million quid more spent than already likely for road improvements. Building the originally planned Arenal on Arenal Island near Temple Meads instead of the threatened Legal and General monstrosity would save 18,600 tonnes of carbon emissions—the equivalent of 11,200 return flights to New York, so I am told. Not only that, the people coming to it from Henbury wouldn't even need to catch the train to get there. Even Bristol City Council could turn a profit from it over the years from leasing it to operators. They could ring it up on the till at City Hall, rather than ringgit up elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 18:53:32 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2020, 18:41:42 »

YTL Arena Bristol approved by Bristol City Council

Plans to transform the Brabazon hangars at Filton into a world-class music venue have been approved by Bristol City Council.

After three-and-a-half hours the council’s planning committee approved the plans for an arena at Filton Airfield.

It will be the third largest arena in the UK (United Kingdom) after London O2 and Manchester's M.E.N arenas, hosting seats for 17,000.

The Malaysian investment firm behind the Filton Arena plans YTL, aims to open the doors to the public in early 2023.

The project's Managing Director, Andrew Billingham, has said the complex will create more than 500 new jobs and generate £1.5 billion locally over 25 years.

The plans also included a Temple Meads to Brabazon station rail link and a new metrobus route.

[...continues]
Source: ITV News

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2020, 12:03:08 »

H M Government have decided Bristols long vaunted arenal can go ahead.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2020, 16:50:45 »

Indeed:

YTL Arena Plans Take Off

We are thrilled to announce that the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government has made the decision not to call in the application for YTL Arena Complex, Bristol.

The Secretary of State was happy with the decision made by Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council, and saw no reason to further examine our application.

[...continues]
Source: YTL

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2020, 15:38:44 »

Indeed:

YTL Arena Plans Take Off

We are thrilled to announce that the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government has made the decision not to call in the application for YTL Arena Complex, Bristol.

The Secretary of State was happy with the decision made by Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council, and saw no reason to further examine our application.

[...continues]

They must be rubbing their hands with glee, as well as sanitiser. At least it will get built, and I'll be able to drive there if I want to go.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2020, 21:31:04 »

Indeed:

YTL Arena Plans Take Off

[...continues]

They must be rubbing their hands with glee, as well as sanitiser. At least it will get built, and I'll be able to drive there if I want to go.

Yep, and rather than a pigs ear of a municipal arena (or more likely an empty plot for another ten years), we'll get a load of fancy Zaha Hadid-designed flats next to Temple Meads, making the whole area much nicer.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2020, 11:00:59 »

Yep, and rather than a pigs ear of a municipal arena (or more likely an empty plot for another ten years), we'll get a load of fancy Zaha Hadid-designed flats next to Temple Meads, making the whole area much nicer.

There's still time for a ten-year hole and some multi-storey council flats with cladding, but I don't live there any more so don't much care. The design for the original arenal, let us not forget, was the subject of a competition overseen by a mayor who was an architect of some repute, and not cobbled together by a sub-committee of enthusiastic amateurs. It would have provided revenue for the council in the form of rental payments, but was scrubbed by the new mayor, who was criticised in the early stages of his rule for spending a lot of time in places like China and Malaysia rather the Eastville and Lawrence Weston. 

I do not doubt YTL's ability to find architects of the necessary calibre to transform an iconic aircraft hangar into an arenal that looks like an iconic aircraft hangar, but the revenue to the council will be solely business rates based on what profit is left after the equally highly skilled accountants have had a look at the books. Any profit will go to YTL in Kuala Lumpur. The council will end up paying for infrastructure improvements beyond the ones already approved by the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) when it had jurisdiction for transport, and whose chairman at the time was a YTL director, now a director of inter aliaof YTL Land and Property UK (United Kingdom), YTL Events Ltd, Brabazon Estates Ltd, YTL Property Holdings Ltd, and YTL Property Holdings Ltd.

The railway station to accompany the Arenal will hopefully be opened in time for the 10th anniversary.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2020, 11:18:32 »

Well, the signalling plan for the new station (HENBURY) was produced two years ago, so at least some preparation is underway...... Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: