Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:22:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Defensive scheduling  (Read 10172 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:28:24 »

Breaking this off from the topic on the problems of IET (Intercity Express Train) introduction.

Suggestion is travel in good time and find something to do at destination if it works for you.

How would you defensively schedule if you had an appointment in Cheltenham at 15:00 on a Sunday, aim to arrive at 18:00 on the Saturday?

Arrive in Cheltenham for a Sunday lunch.  If megaproblems via Kemble, go via Parkway.   All this assuming a London start.   If Pilning start then, yes, travel on Saturday.

As a piece of defensive travel ... I'm working in Motherwell tomorrow, and started from Wick this morning.

08:02 train cancelled, lack of conductor.  We were all on board and the driver turfed us off - "sorry - just heard we have been cancelled". Train left empty a few minutes behind schedule with just the driver and the young lady on the buffet trolley who was going to have extremely lean takings.

Station unstaffed until 10:10 ( 8 passengers who had all managed to find their way in via the unsignposted back gate!). Phone for "Train information".     "We are trying to source a bus ... don't know how long it will be.  We will let you know in the next half hour".  On being asked how he would let us know, he suggested I call back.  On being asked if we could use the 08:53 bus, "I have not been told of any arrangements in place", and on asking if my Spirit of Scotland was valid on the route "I don't know anything about tickets".

I am writing this from the 08:53 bus ... not risking a wait for rail replacement, which might (or might not) be visiting all the intermediate places to Inverness.  Not waiting for the next train at 12:34 - that's assuming that would be running ...

So - greetings from Lybster, last served by trains in 1944, as I recall!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:27:58 »

Probably find the bus is quicker back to Inverness though maybe not quite as enjoyable as travelling by train.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:03 »

Probably find the bus is quicker back to Inverness though maybe not quite as enjoyable as travelling by train.

You might bump into four & twenty virgins on the way back! 🙂
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:33:05 »

I am writing this from the 08:53 bus ... not risking a wait for rail replacement, which might (or might not) be visiting all the intermediate places to Inverness.  Not waiting for the next train at 12:34 - that's assuming that would be running ...

So - greetings from Lybster, last served by trains in 1944, as I recall!

Did you pay for your bus ticket or did the driver/conductor accept your Spirit of Scotland ticket/explanation for using the bus?

I was very lucky last week. Enroute for Inverurie from Wick, I could catch either the 08:02 or 12:34 (both did run). If I caught the 08:02, I would have had to miss breakfast (served from 8am), but could have a couple of hours in Inverness. If I opted for the later 12:34, I could have a leisurely breakfast, but only 9 minutes in Inverness. In the end, my very kind landlady provided breakfast at 7am and gave me a lift to the station so that I could get the 08:02.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 14:15:39 by PhilWakely » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:10:46 »

Interesting topic. Many years ago I would never think of defensively scheduling. Now a days with the total unreliability of the railways it's almost automatic.

As most of my journeys start at Taplow that usually means leaving on the train 30minutes in advance of one that I need. Assuming that it is  running. Real Time Trains is good for checking.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 15:25:02 »

I'm 'defensively' re-scheduling my plans for next week's All Line Rover trip (intended to encompass Wick).  Dare I risk missing the Highland Chieftain for Inverness by making an early start from Yatton to Paddington on a (hot) Monday morning in a possibly short formed/non-available IET (Intercity Express Train)?  I have already booked seats but the more I am reading the less I like look of the chances of making it. I have to be in Inverness by 21:00 to make the last train North for my paid for accommodation.

I have to consider a number of other options now with companies with more reliable trains and more chance of making connections or even a coach to London the day before (Sunday - so not risking a GWR (Great Western Railway) train) and adding a hotel bill.

I am finding what promised to be a relaxing break turning into a worry and possible disappointment.  How sad that it has come to this.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 15:31:09 »

I'm 'defensively' re-scheduling my plans for next week's All Line Rover trip (intended to encompass Wick).  Dare I risk missing the Highland Chieftain for Inverness by making an early start from Yatton to Paddington on a (hot) Monday morning in a possibly short formed/non-available IET (Intercity Express Train)?  I have already booked seats but the more I am reading the less I like look of the chances of making it. I have to be in Inverness by 21:00 to make the last train North for my paid for accommodation.

I have to consider a number of other options now with companies with more reliable trains and more chance of making connections or even a coach to London the day before (Sunday - so not risking a GWR (Great Western Railway) train) and adding a hotel bill.

I am finding what promised to be a relaxing break turning into a worry and possible disappointment.  How sad that it has come to this.

If you don't fancy GWR and you can get yourself to Bristol, then SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Train via Salisbury to Waterloo the day before and Travelodge (other overnight acccommodation is available) would be my preferred option.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 15:53:16 »

Indeed.  Rather than the 08:02 train, I caught the 08:53 bus.  Which got me to Rose Street Inverness (A pretty sounding name for a spot that isn't) a few minutes before 12:00, rather that at 12:36 which is when the train was due.

Did you pay for your bus ticket or did the driver/conductor accept your Spirit of Scotland ticket/explanation for using the bus?

I explained what had happened / showed my ticket and did not have to pay.   I don't think any alternative arrangements were in place, rather an act of kindness (or a thought that I could have caused a scene and delayed the bus) allowed me on.  Big thank you to the driver from me and the others who had also been caught up in the cancellation.

The saga will continue - I am in a further stage of my journey to Glasgow, again making use of my defensive scheduling because I am not on the planned service, but rather on my first reserve!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 16:06:57 »

If you don't fancy GWR (Great Western Railway) and you can get yourself to Bristol, then SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Train via Salisbury to Waterloo the day before and Travelodge (other overnight acccommodation is available) would be my preferred option.

I think it'll be XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to Brum, Virgin to Edinburgh and pick up the Chieftain there. And I can leave 2 hours later with a fall back train if I miss the Chieftain (but without a meal).  I'll decide when I know if seats are available.

At least my income is not dependent on trains being reliable. I am glad you got to Inverness in time Graham.  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 18:16:58 »

The saga will continue - I am in a further stage of my journey to Glasgow, again making use of my defensive scheduling because I am not on the planned service, but rather on my first reserve!

I'm in Glasgow ... and not sure whether to report that I've been on 4 trains today, or travelled on two.   Turfed off one because of a lack of conductor, turfed off a second because of a train fault ... hot, sticky, tired - but in good time to recover from my journey for work tomorrow.   I blame the tiredness on 3 hours sitting crammed on a bus, but then I would, wouldn't I?    12 miles on a bus is fine, 20 miles is stretching it, 100 is taking the proverbial!

Arrived in Glasgow on "First Reserve" which was due 16:52 rather than 16:18.   Actual arrival dead on 17:00.  Intermediate connection failed due to the 170 we were on not climbing on full power from Inverness - overheating engines due to the hot weather.  Perhaps things will improve when these units have got through their teething troubles phase  Grin

rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 20:25:26 »

My 'defensive scheduling' in that neck of the woods was back in 2002.

I didn't book my bike on the Up Highland Chieftain (Inverness to York) for the Wednesday until my Sunday night stay in Inverness on the way north.  I had spent the previous 9 days cycling from Land's End, and by now I'd got the hang of how far I could cover in a day.  Monday was Inverness to Wick; Tuesday Wick to John O'Groats and then on to Thurso - then train (with bike in ScotRail Transit Van) to Inverness, for a plush night's stay in the station hotel.  Then trains back to Derby in time for tea and medals.

Happy days.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:40:26 »

By way of balance: The Squirrel family had a few days in Edinburgh last half-term. We got the train from Droitwich, changing to the Euston-Edinburgh service at Birmingham; this was cheaper than flying (with F&F railcard). All trains were on time, and everyone was very pleasant and helpful; even the woman who'd caught the wrong train and tried to turf us out of our reserved seats was alright once we'd explained whose problem it was. We met up with some friends from Bristol whilst up there; they had flown, which meant getting up at sparrow's fart, and spending most of their first day feeling very tired whilst we were fresh as daisies and up and at 'em.

On the Saturday, we got our train back to Brum and they headed off to the airport to be told that (a) their flight was cancelled, (b) There was no flight on Sunday, and (c) Monday's was/were full. The good news was that there were seats on Tuesday! They clubbed together with a couple of others and hired a minibus, which they drove back to Bristol through the night.

Overall, I think we got the better deal!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 13:03:59 »

I think the whole reason for defensive scheduling is the unreliability  of the current of the services.  It is difficult to anticipate what problems you will face be it infrastructure failures train failures, staff shortages etc. etc.

When a rail journey works there's nothing better when it fails there's nothing worse.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 14:24:01 »

When a rail journey works there's nothing better when it fails there's nothing worse.

That's my point - there IS something worse! Delays, cancellations and inconvenience are obviously a feature of today's railway, but can you think of a time when for purely operational reasons your rail journey was delayed for three days? It's not like our friends were trying to fly home from Predporozhnyy during an unexpected monsoon...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 17:11:40 »

I think the whole reason for defensive scheduling is the unreliability  of the current of the services.  It is difficult to anticipate what problems you will face be it infrastructure failures train failures, staff shortages etc. etc.

Yes, as far as I'm concerned that's true.  But even if the trains ran 99.5% of the time, and 98% arrived at final destination within 5 minutes, I would probably still travel one early for important and time critical appointments - if nothing else to give me a chance to relax and prepare for what I was headed into. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: