Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:19:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: More Rolling Stock Leaving FGW?  (Read 20443 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 21:51:31 »

I have been advised today that FGW (First Great Western) are to lose more 158's than expected to be re-deployed in the North as has been mentioned on this board preciously. As has also been stated, FGW are to get 143's to help overcome the overcrowding which according to my infomant is not so acute as in the area where the 158's are going according to the DFT (Department for Transport). But my informant understands FGW are to retain the Adelantes as no other TOC (Train Operating Company) wants them and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have lent heavily on the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) to secure a deal so that they can pinch more 158s from FGW to head North and provide the stored 143's to the West Country.
So if we are to loose even more 158s than previously thought, are 180s going to replace their present duties? One answer could be for 180s to continue operating Thames Valley Oxford/Cotswold services and some 165/166s head to the West. From what you are saying here though, as far as 'West' services are concerned it is looking more and more like a straight swap - modern 158s for clapped out 143s. Got any trashy clapped out trains you want shot of? Then send them down to FGW cos they will run them as they is cheap to run and any old rubbish will do for round here. What has the west country done to deserve such poor rail services?Huh 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 17:45:55 »

It's really frustrating when for the same fare our trains are being downgraded. The DafT are a meddling bunch of [insert swear word here]
g4mby
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 21:12:08 »

I have been advised today that FGW (First Great Western) are to lose more 158's than expected to be re-deployed in the North as has been mentioned on this board preciously. As has also been stated, FGW are to get 143's to help overcome the overcrowding which according to my infomant is not so acute as in the area where the 158's are going according to the DFT (Department for Transport). But my informant understands FGW are to retain the Adelantes as no other TOC (Train Operating Company) wants them and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have lent heavily on the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) to secure a deal so that they can pinch more 158s from FGW to head North and provide the stored 143's to the West Country.
There are no 143's in storage, all 23 are operating for either FGW or Arriva. Northern have been storing a number of 142's which are of similar design and vintage. Is it these units that FGW will be taking on?
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 21:10:54 »

i work for fgw and there is some truth in the rumours about getting more pacer units.

they are going to be the 142's that northern are getting shot of and also the 142's that are currently stored in blackpool

it is not the choice of fgw they are being forced on them by the dft,fgw are trying to retain the 180's to use on pompey/cardiff services.

reference previous post about 165/166 units it would not be pheasable to run them on the west services as they cannot go to portsmouth/southampton due to the width ot the body

the plan is as it has always been 12 angel trains 158's are going to northern by december this was always the plan fgw retained them for 12 extra months to get the fleet more reliable following withdrawl from canton this is also the decision of the dft
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 07:09:47 »

i work for fgw and there is some truth in the rumours about getting more pacer units.

they are going to be the 142's that northern are getting shot of and also the 142's that are currently stored in blackpool

it is not the choice of fgw they are being forced on them by the dft,fgw are trying to retain the 180's to use on pompey/cardiff services.

reference previous post about 165/166 units it would not be pheasable to run them on the west services as they cannot go to portsmouth/southampton due to the width ot the body

the plan is as it has always been 12 angel trains 158's are going to northern by december this was always the plan fgw retained them for 12 extra months to get the fleet more reliable following withdrawl from canton this is also the decision of the dft
I think the trade off of FGW (First Great Western) keeping the 180s for Cardiff-Pompey services, releasing more 158s than originally planned in exchange for 142s is a price worth paying as these trains would only be operated at peak periods on Bristol commuter services and at last Cardiff-Southampton-Pompey finally gets decent length stock that it so desperately needs.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 17:43:42 »

that is assuming nothing changes between now and december

you know what it is like things seem to change on a daily basis so watch this space Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 06:15:17 »

that is assuming nothing changes between now and december

you know what it is like things seem to change on a daily basis so watch this space Wink

In a way, that just might be good news for those of us who continue to campaign for an appropriate service within the FGW (First Great Western) area - though I have to say that whilst we see some positive changes from time to time, we get a number of less positive changes too, such as what I consider to be retrograde steps in terms of stock age and comfort.  It's quite frustrating to hear visitors talk of the marvellous new trains in their areas and how much better they are than the previous ones when in our area the reverse has happened.

Link - Class 14x trains - what's the difference?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacer_(train)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 18:49:13 »

180s aren't cleared to Portsmouth though!

There is also the matter of short platforms and the fact that it is a total waste of a 125mph capable train!

A 5 car class 185 variant would be ideal as they have quick acceleration and are likely to be cleared into Portsmouth.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 20:34:02 »

they are not cleared in to pompey yet but that is easy for them to sort out.

short platforms is not a problem either as 180,s have selective door opening

all this is still being discussed so we could still end up with bendy bus 142's

first dont like letting on what there intentions are especially to staff so we could still end up with more bendy bus pacer units
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 00:40:12 »

From what I have heard from the suit who is in charge of the Maintainance of the 180's is that these will sent back to the leasing company gradually during 2008. I wouldn't expect they'll be seen in Portsmouth after all!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 07:15:51 »

From what I have heard from the suit who is in charge of the Maintainance of the 180's is that these will sent back to the leasing company gradually during 2008. I wouldn't expect they'll be seen in Portsmouth after all!
Thats pretty much what Tony Miles reports in this month's Modern Railways and I see no reason not to believe him. He also reports that it is understood that FGW (First Great Western) have fought hard to retain the 158s but that Dft have agreed with Northern that they are to have them.

Can't wait to see how FGW are going to run services come the December timetable change with around half their 158s gone coupled with the loss of 150s to Arriva last December. Keeping the 180s would have more or less solved this and considerably improved the Cardiff-Pompey service to a level it more than deserves.

Seems now all they are keeping the 180s for is to cover the late running HST (High Speed Train) refurbishment program.
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 19:25:04 »

Thats pretty much what Tony Miles reports in this month's Modern Railways and I see no reason not to believe him. He also reports that it is understood that FGW (First Great Western) have fought hard to retain the 158s but that Dft have agreed with Northern that they are to have them.

Can't wait to see how FGW are going to run services come the December timetable change with around half their 158s gone coupled with the loss of 150s to Arriva last December. Keeping the 180s would have more or less solved this and considerably improved the Cardiff-Pompey service to a level it more than deserves.

Seems now all they are keeping the 180s for is to cover the late running HST (High Speed Train) refurbishment program.

Cardiff to Portsmouths should be 158s, and no less!  The 180s would have been an excellent resource on this mainline!  Arent the 158s nearly 15 years old now?!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 20:31:33 »

Cardiff to Portsmouths should be 158s, and no less!  The 180s would have been an excellent resource on this mainline!  Arent the 158s nearly 15 years old now?!
At least, more like 17 years in some cases. They are good trains and are good enough for Cardiff-Portsmouth, but not as two cars however.
spike

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 20:47:30 »

Whatever 158s they decide to keep they need to do something about the state of them in the short term before refurbishment... A lot of them currently scuttling around FGW (First Great Western) resemble travelling toilets and thats before you get anywhere near the toilets which are 100 times worse! I know Wessex weren't perfect but FGW really do take the biscuit sometimes, it never surprises me the amount of people who moan on FGW about the state of service in some respect. It's not going to get people out of their cars is it!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 21:00:18 »

Whatever 158s they decide to keep they need to do something about the state of them in the short term before refurbishment... A lot of them currently scuttling around FGW (First Great Western) resemble travelling toilets and thats before you get anywhere near the toilets which are 100 times worse! I know Wessex weren't perfect but FGW really do take the biscuit sometimes, it never surprises me the amount of people who moan on FGW about the state of service in some respect. It's not going to get people out of their cars is it!
This in my view is a breach of franchise. A year and a half on and not a single ex-Wessex piece of rolling stock has been refurbished. It surprises me that there are not more complaints about the state of local rolling stock. But then again its not surprising because at the moment passengers are just grateful any stock turns up at all no matter what states its in. It shouldnt be this way and its sad that FGW are allowed by the government to get away with providing the service they are. And judging by the amount of cancellation posts on this site these past few days its getting worse again.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: