19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:15:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New TfL Ticket Machines & GWR Tickets  (Read 1834 times)
CJB666

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2018, 23:31:28 »

Playing around this evening at H&H I was somewhat gob-smacked that the new TfL» (Transport for London - about) ticket machines apparently can't issue tickets for GWR (Great Western Railway) services.

In the past I have purchased Hayes to / from Reading off-peak senior day returns. These have succeeded although the slowness of the machines means that if you want a ticket in a hurry then no-way.

But I decided to try and purchase tickets from Hayes to / from Castle Cary for say tomorrow.

Firstly I had to type the name 'Castle Cary,' then click 'Tomorrow,' then chose Senior RC - each time the machine went to sleep for minutes. Finally a series of fares was offered - all 1st class.

But there was a small 'More..." button. Clicking that the machine went to sleep again, but finally displayed 2nd class fares.

I clicked the one month return off peak fare. The machine then went to sleep again. Finally coming up with a statement that the ticket could not be issued and to go to a ticket office.

The display then reverted to its home page.

Time wasted 15 minutes.

====

So I tried another destination - Penzance. I spelt out the destination. Then I clicked on Senior. The machine went to sleep as usual. But when I clicked on 'Tomorrow' the machine went to sleep for 5 minutes, then reverted to its home page. Useless.

Time wasted 10 minutes

====

I shall try other destinations - but it does not bode well for the machines issuing tickets for GWR services.

BTW (by the way) I wonder how often the touch-screens are cleaned - likely never?

====
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:13:58 »

Playing around this evening at H&H I was somewhat gob-smacked that the new TfL» (Transport for London - about) ticket machines apparently can't issue tickets for GWR (Great Western Railway) services.

[snip]

Time wasted 15 minutes.

[snip]

Time wasted 10 minutes

Surely not wasted unless you really intended to visit Castle Cary or Penzance - rather, 25 minutes spent learning  unexpected lessons about the ticket machines.  And the unexpected lessons are often the most interesting.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:55:19 »

So it appears that the TfL» (Transport for London - about) ticket machines are supposed to sell 'walk on today' and 'travel tomorrow' tickets for all routes and services.

So why does an attempt to purchase tickets fail almost every time.

Has anyone actually succeeded in purchasing tickets on other traincos services?
hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 20:37:45 »

At Southall I've had no issues buying an Off Peak Day Return for Boundary Zone 6 to Reading, and for Southall to Reading.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:21 »

With all the "machine went to sleep" it sounds like a fault either in the machine or perhaps more likely the connection to wherever the database is.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 21:21:26 »

Are tickets printed on normal orange national rail ticket stock? I've bought tickets before from LU machines to Southend which are pink.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 22:33:24 »

At Southall I've had no issues buying an Off Peak Day Return for Boundary Zone 6 to Reading, and for Southall to Reading.

Try Bristol, Penzance, Castle Cary, Yeovil, Brighton, etc., etc. Whist the process of purchasing seems to follow a defined path, the machines I tried at H&H gave up at various stages.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: