Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:35:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[137] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[9] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Antimacassars - the travelling public demands answers  (Read 7239 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2018, 21:07:22 »

To try to cheer you all up when there seems to be so much misery around on the railways, and prompted by my post in the North Downs section, I thought I would draw your attention to a subject so  far sadly neglected in the coffee shop, and one to which there seem to be many unanswered questions - Antimacassars!

Is there someone at GWR (Great Western Railway) in charge of them? I have a mental image of a retired serviceman, who still wears a bowler hat, based in a dingy office somewhere above Paddington Station who has never forgiven that upstart Hopwood for insisting he gave up his morning suit with stripey trousers for an ill-fitting dark green blazer.

What does the franchise agreement provide about antimacassars? Is there a whole schedule specifying which seats on which trains should use them, and a standard specification that the TOC (Train Operating Company) must follow? Does OPRAF (sorry - ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) have a department dedicated to monitoring each TOC's performance in discharging their antimacassar performance? Do they publish league tables? Is Govia only holding onto its Southeastern and Thameslink franchises because of its exemplary antimacassar record?

Was the BR (British Rail(ways)) antimacassar operation privatised in the 1990s? Was it sold to an overseas bank that now ties TOCs up in expensive leasing deals they cannot afford to break for the supply of ORR compliant antimacassars?

What happens to the antimacassars when a franchise comes to an end? Are they cascaded through the system like rolling stock? Do Cornish branch lines and northern rural routes still use BR era antimacassars with the double arrow symbol? Is there a large store of redundant antimacassars at Long Marston, with a particularly large section for the former East Coast Main Line operators?

Is there a Network Rail team that tests antimacassars, using a test train comprising two old diesel engines with a converted mark 1 coach between them testing antimacassars throughout the network painted yellow? Will it soon be replaced by two redundant HST (High Speed Train) power cars with an HST coach between them so we can at last test antimacassars under air conditioning? Do they use a British Railways standard antimacassar testing hair oil, formulated on nationalisation after extensive testing of the test hair oils of the big four companies?

Is there a well documented history of railway antimacassars? Can you find copies of books with titles like "Antimacassars of the Great Western Railway, 1923 to Nationalisation" in secondhand bookshops or Abe Books? What were the contributions of Churchward, Gresley and Stanier to the development of the antimacassar? Did BR test a tilting antimacassar in the 1970s., only to abandon the project when they discovered that their failure to return to the upright position caused well oiled journalists to feel ill?   

I think the travelling public is entitled to answers to these questions, and any more that your fertile minds may come up with. Coffee Shop members  we await your replies!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 21:16:52 »

What I'd like to know is how many people still use Macassar Oil on their hair?

Shouldn't the pieces of fabric be renamed Antihairproducts or Antisebums?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 21:27:08 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 21:25:11 »

Having some hair would be nice for some of us.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 22:38:48 »

Be careful what you say - "antimacassar" can now be understood to identify a serious hate crime. Perhaps a safer alternative is anti-ylang-ylang.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 22:40:17 »

Can you find copies of books with titles like "Antimacassars of the Great Western Railway, 1923 to Nationalisation" in secondhand bookshops or Abe Books?

Surely that bit at least must be true!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 22:47:34 »

Can you find copies of books with titles like "Antimacassars of the Great Western Railway, 1923 to Nationalisation" in secondhand bookshops or Abe Books?

If you can't, then I suspect it's the only aspect of the Official GWR (Great Western Railway) (not to be confused with the upstart Provisional GWR) that hasn't been written about.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 23:07:44 »

The Provisional GWR (Great Western Railway)!

I like it. Grin Grin Grin

If they get the contract extensions do they become Continuity GWR?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 00:34:34 »

I think all this summer sunshine has rather gone to the OP (Original Poster / topic starter)'s head! 😨
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:36:06 »

The Proprietors of the Macassar Oil can proudly appeal to an enlightened and judicious Public for the unrivalled efficacy of this Oil. They wish not to deceive or delude by rhetorical declamations or bombast language — they solicit only the test of experience, and with confidence they can affirm, that the more it is known in a higher degree of estimation will it be held. The utility is evinced by preserving the hair from falling off or changing colour, and its elegance by producing the most smooth and beautiful gloss ever known. Thus to the fairest and most amiable part of the creation it must prove an invaluable advantage, its virtues being so great an auxiliary to heighten their charms. To expatiate more on the subject would be superfluous; suffice it to say, that the Macassar Oil is perfectly innocuous; and it will retain its virtues in any climate; therefore, it is earnestly recommended to Ladies or Gentlemen going abroad.

1807 advertising copy.

The stuff is quite expensive these days. But worry not folks. Smooth and glossy hair can be achieved with a couple Bob Martins a day!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:41:13 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 07:28:24 »

I had a Victorian Aunt who was always making these, like samplers, and always bringing them with her on a visit. She was  the sort of person who always ran everyone down and she became known within the family as Aunty Massacre !
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 07:37:50 »

I think the travelling public is entitled to answers to these questions, and any more

A good question for many especially those unfamiliar with travelling might be, what is one?    Wink
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 07:47:34 »

Personally I'm proud to be pro macassar.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:14 »

I think the travelling public is entitled to answers to these questions, and any more

A good question for many especially those unfamiliar with travelling might be, what is one?    Wink

antimacassar
noun
a piece of cloth put over the back of a chair to protect it from grease and dirt or as an ornament.

It appears that the word has become less popular than it used to be.  That may be because of a dumbing down of the English language, a lessening of the amount of grease on people's hair lessening the need for such things, the higher proportion of passengers standing, or modern seat cloths that are easier to clean without an extra layer of protection.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 08:18:56 »

Its that, usually white, piece of material placed over the headrest of a seat to hopefully stop Brylcreem plastered hair from transferring the grease contained within the Brylcreem to the headrest and thus onto the next unsuspecting passengers hair who sits in the seat. Mind you, the grease is transferred to the thingy placed over the headrest and then onto the next unsuspecting passenger to place their head against the said headrest instead.

Examples I can recall are ones with BR (British Rail(ways)) woven into the fabric, a red embroidered BR arrow. a Pullman Coat of Arms embroidered in ones used on the Blue Pullman Trains, and I have seen ones with a swallow Inter-City livery motif which looked like a cheap screen printed product. Cost cutting measures resulted in what I can only describe and disposable 'Airtex' paper ones being used in more recent times.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:40:58 by martyjon » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 09:27:23 »

At the end of their service life, antimacassars are sold cheaply to a small hotel in Torquay.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: