Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:12:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Chaos at London Victoria" 05/07/2018  (Read 4921 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2018, 13:24:13 »

Passengers warned to avoid London Victoria due to severe disruption caused by failure of power supply to signalling.
Thameslink and southern severely affected and Gatwick express suspended.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

Someone needs to tell network rail about backup power supplies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 13:37:18 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 13:49:43 »

Although in the article it does state that their was an issue with 3 seperate power supplies, so I assume (never assume Smiley)at least one of those was a backup.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 13:51:25 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News described it as a "signalling error" - really? - and then said no SN/TL/GX trains were running to Victoria. In fact GTR seem to have and be running a planned backup SN/GX service, having TL via East Croydon-London Bridge running. They also have the line via West Norwood back in use, and are now running some Victoria services that way.

However, with the main fast and slow lines through Streatham Common U/S, all services have been cut to half or less so as to fit in what's left. Thameslink seems to be running as normal (whatever that means), so the pictures purporting to be Brighton with no trains can't have been.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 14:15:41 »

Although in the article it does state that their was an issue with 3 seperate power supplies, so I assume (never assume Smiley)at least one of those was a backup.

I would be very surprised indeed if three genuinely separate power supplies failed at the same time.
Failure of three supplies suggests to me that they were not truly separate but had some single point of failure.
Examples of single points of failure include supplies derived from the same substation, or different supplies but with the cables taking the same route. A single fire or accident with a digging machine then cuts all three cables.

An example of three GENUINELY separated supplies would include,
1) From the local DNO (Distribution Network Operator), preferably by a dedicated cable from the DNO substation.
2) An HV supply via private cable along the railway line from an electrically distant part of the DNO network.
3) A converter from the traction supply.

If the signalling centre is not on or near railway property, that precludes options 2 and 3 above, an alternative arrangement could be
1)From the DNO, by a dedicated cable from the nearest substation.
2)A second DNO supply obtained from another substation that is on a DIFFERENT 11KV circuit.
3) A generator.

In all cases great care should be taken to eliminate common points of failure, for example by NEVER putting cables for main and standby supplies in the same trench or cable trough.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 18:07:08 »

Ok I will have to be a little careful what I say as the incident is subject to a formal inquiry which will report back to the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Board and the Minister.

There are typically in the third rail area the signalling power supply is derived from the traction substations; the 33kV supply system is run as an open ring, a fault on 33kV cable or a DNO (Distribution Network Operator) outage the ECR can restore.  Substations have 2 33/0.415kV transformers to supply the substation domestic load and signalling power.

In the London area it is usual to have third 415V supply from the DNO street network.

All 3 supplied are controlled by a change over panel which will automatically change form one traction supply transformer to the other in the even of niether of these being available it will switch to the DNO; the ECR can control the change over panel as well, the traction sypply can be parralled so its posibel to change from traction transformer to the other without loss of supply.

The change over panel supplies normally 2 400/650V signal power supply transformers which again supply a change over panel.

Ther Streatham area has recently been resignaled with an auto reconfiguration system along the tack.

Apparantly the problem on this ocassion was one of the change over panels suffering a catostrphic failure, the maintainence teams work soild for 12 hours to hard wire around the destroyed equipment also checking to ensure there was nothing down stream that initated the fault and nothing else was damaged.

The signalling power supplies in the third rail area are generally robust.

As said this incident is subject to a formal inquiry

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 18:26:17 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5920411/Travel-chaos-biblical-scale-commuters-told-AVOID-London.html

The heading to the page has this:

NorthernBelle.co.uk | Official - Pullman Dining Train Journeys
Pullman Dining - To Magnificent Destinations. From A Station Near You!

However below this is the real report:

SECOND day of travel hell: Commuters and Wimbledon visitors are told to avoid Victoria station tomorrow amid signal problems affecting Thameslink, Southern, and Gatwick Express trains

* Hundreds of thousands of passengers are urged not to travel to Britain's second busiest station today
* Frustrated commuters share images of travel disruption and packed carriages as they are forced onto buses
* Dozens of Gatwick Express, Thameslink and Southern journeys to and from London Victoria are cancelled
* Southern has warned beleaguered passengers that 'disruption will continue until at least 7am tomorrow'
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 21:28:32 »

There is a temporary fix in place in the power system, I almost certain NR» (Network Rail - home page) maintainers will be out on standby at key locations through the morning rush hour(s)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:21 »

…………..and as is always the case, customers are told "don't travel", as the TOCs (Train Operating Company) trouser millions in compensation from Network Rail (aka the taxpayer) ching ching!  Angry
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:36:33 »

Apparently the problem on this occasion was one of the change over panels suffering a catastrophic failure, the maintenance teams work solid for 12 hours to hard wire around the destroyed equipment also checking to ensure there was nothing down stream that initiated the fault and nothing else was damaged.

From GTR journeycheck
The electrical supply that maintains this areas signalling system failed. The failure has been traced to a faulty power supply cable which feeds off the national grid.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 16:47:46 »

Apparently the problem on this occasion was one of the change over panels suffering a catastrophic failure, the maintenance teams work solid for 12 hours to hard wire around the destroyed equipment also checking to ensure there was nothing down stream that initiated the fault and nothing else was damaged.

From GTR journeycheck
The electrical supply that maintains this areas signalling system failed. The failure has been traced to a faulty power supply cable which feeds off the national grid.

Chris I know more about this incident than I can say here, my knowledge is based on actual evidence and not press releases

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 12:19:27 »

Chris I know more about this incident than I can say here, my knowledge is based on actual evidence and not press releases

Will you be able to tell us more, eventually ? Or will it remain confidential effectively forever ?

One of your earlier posts suggests that some form of enquiry is to take place, will the results be published or will it be for internal use only.

And of course updates from anyone else would be most interesting.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:39:47 »

Will you be able to tell us more, eventually ? Or will it remain confidential effectively forever ?

One of your earlier posts suggests that some form of enquiry is to take place, will the results be published or will it be for internal use only.

And of course updates from anyone else would be most interesting.

There is a posiblity some of it may be commerially sensitive, the area was only resignalled in the last 2 years.

The enquiry can take several weeks to complete, the items that cause the fire my need to go to a lab for analysis.

It is highly likely the Secetary of State will want a briefing before it gets released

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 23:31:08 »

Has this fault, or a very similar one recurred ?
No effective service from London Victoria again tonight, due to a power failure.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 16:35:14 »

Has this fault, or a very similar one recurred ?
No effective service from London Victoria again tonight, due to a power failure.

No it was not related to the incident in the OP (Original Poster / topic starter).  The original incident was due to a loose connection in a power supply change over switchboard, whilst duplication and even triplication of supplies is done there is always one weak link in the chain even these are made as robust as possible.  The incident in the OP was the first such incident for over 30 years in such equipment in the DC (Direct Current) electrified area, of which there are several hundred of these types of switch board.

The final report and actions are still commercially sensitive due to the recent re-signalling project.

Yesterdays incident was due to a fault on National Grid 275/400kV network which reflected back onto the railways high Voltage network which caused some of the signalling interlocking to fail safe, due to the time of the event the technicians struggled with heavy road traffic to get to all the locations, there is only a finite number of tech available.   

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 11:42:32 »

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I do however find it very surprising that a high voltage grid outage was behind this failure.

High voltage National Grid circuits are usually duplicated and loss of supply therefore very rare from this cause. I  recall a failure some years ago when two almost simultaneous faults blacked out a large part of greater London and North Kent.

However in this case I don't recall any large scale outages to ordinary consumers. It is of course possible that the railway 33Kv system is reliant on a single high voltage grid connection which would be more vulnerable.
In such circumstances I would expect that the low voltage DNO (Distribution Network Operator) supplies would still be available.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: