Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:50:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Short formation - whose responsible for the decision?  (Read 5797 times)
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:55:29 »

We have all seen and no doubt suffered from the dreaded short formed trains of late. A large number of us know the rationale for the short formations. What I would like to know is who makes the decision to short form the train?

GWR (Great Western Railway) will be providing the driver and crew.
Hitachi or the leasing group will be providing the train.
Network Rail the track and undertaking any possessions of the asset.

We keep hearing that all these players are working closer together. So who makes the decision to short form the trains into service? I'm assuming that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has signed off on this strategy of service as rationale for the short forms are problems with the GWML (Great Western Main Line) upgrade and fleet delivery.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:13:08 »

I would presume that GWR (Great Western Railway) make the decision, based on what trains are available.
They hopefully try to use the short trains on the less busy services, but recently short formations have become the norm on many services including busy ones.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:17:14 »

I assume you are referring to the IET (Intercity Express Train) stock, although you don't specify this.

Hitachi have a contract to supply x sets of IETs every day, in various formations (5, the odd 9 & 10 currently)
If they fail to supply enough sets (for which they would pay a penalty - usually deducted from GWRs (Great Western Railway) hire fees), then GWR have to decide whether to cancel one set's daily service or split one 10 set into two 5s to be able to run all the services. You may agree that is is better to have two 5s running around short-formed than cancel one set's services.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:34:27 »

I also suspect that politics comes into it a bit.

If say a government minister is expected to be on a train, then it is almost certain to be full length even if this results in other short formations. Likewise if reporters or news crews are expected to be on board.
It is often alleged that services known to be popular with MPs (Member of Parliament) receive special attention.

Before the present failures, I favoured the Golden Hind, the 18-03 from Paddington as this was popular with MPs and was therefore much less likely to be cancelled.
There certainly seemed to be a policy, that if the train due to form the 18-03 failed to arrive on time at Paddington, that an alternative set was to be used, even if this meant cancelling another service.

When the far west services are downgraded to DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) operation, I suspect that the Golden Hind will see the odd reduction to 5 cars, but probably less often than other services.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:07 »

Also, as Hitachi are the maintainer & supplier of these IETs (Intercity Express Train), a minor fault that in the past might have meant the service still ran but without full availability of on-board services, for example, might now be refused and if Hitachi don't have another serviceable spare, would result in being one set short for the day.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:10 »

Before the present failures, I favoured the Golden Hind, the 18-03 from Paddington as this was popular with MPs (Member of Parliament) and was therefore much less likely to be cancelled.
There certainly seemed to be a policy, that if the train due to form the 18-03 failed to arrive on time at Paddington, that an alternative set was to be used, even if this meant cancelling another service.

Probably also because, Fridays excepted, it is the last train of the day from London to stations in Cornwall apart from the sleeper.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 14:06:09 »

Before the present failures, I favoured the Golden Hind, the 18-03 from Paddington as this was popular with MPs (Member of Parliament) and was therefore much less likely to be cancelled.

Probably also because, Fridays excepted, it is the last train of the day from London to stations in Cornwall apart from the sleeper.

I doubt I'll shake you from this regularly aired belief, Broadgage, but in all my years on the railway I have never heard of any special attention being paid by the train operators to pamper for MPs who are just travelling on trains. Dozens of them do, every day.  If an MP is travelling in a media/publicity capacity, then yes, special measures are taken (as they are with royalty, the PM etc.).

The reason the 18:03 is given any priority over others is simply that it's a popular train with lots of important people on it, and it has a Pullman.  Quite correct for it to be put at the top of the priority list!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 14:13:20 »

I doubt I'll shake you from this regularly aired belief, Broadgage, but in all my years on the railway I have never heard of any special attention being paid by the train operators to pamper for MPs (Member of Parliament) who are just travelling on trains.

I can confirm the lack of routine special treatment. I have certainly seen / travelled with MPs who were not receiving any different attention to the regular passenger, and indeed were unrecognised amongst the crowds. And it's been good to see both our previous and current MP using the train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 14:29:14 »

To clarify, I was not suggesting that a train gets special treatment because AN MP (Member of Parliament) happens to be on board, there are hundreds of them and the TOC (Train Operating Company) would not normally even be aware that a particular MP was on a certain train.

What I AM suggesting is that a train known to be regularly patronised by multiple MPs probably DOES get special treatment.

If the cancellation or short formation of a certain service regularly produces multiple letters of complaint from MPs, whilst the cancellation of a different service seldom or never produces such complaints, then that suggests that special attention would be given to the train regularly used by multiple MPs, or other public figures.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 14:34:41 »

In the run up to the 2015 General election I was politely asked to vacate my seat on a FGW (First Great Western) service from Bristol Parkway to Swindon. The reason? Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne and his entourage were boarding and presumably didn't want to mix with the plebs while travelling.

Interestingly, as I was being turfed out, a Tory party funky was placing reservation labels on a number of seats. These were Virgin Trains labels making me wonder whether they'd nicked a load!

I did consider standing (well, sitting) my ground, but quickly weighed up the situation realising I'd very soon be 'chatting' with Special Branch if I didn't move.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 15:26:08 »

Bob.  Monday to Thursday the last connection for Cornwall is the 1903 off Paddington, change at Plymouth for all stations to Penzance on a Sprinter.
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 15:31:26 »

So we don't know who makes the actual decision on a short formation? All the recent ones must have been passed through the DFT (Department for Transport) thought right?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 16:19:23 »

So we don't know who makes the actual decision on a short formation? All the recent ones must have been passed through the DFT (Department for Transport) thought right?

I doubt it.  To do that they would have to have someone sat in Control at Swindon full time. No I don't think so.

However I would be surprised if they hadn't set the broad policy that short formations should be used to manage the present crisis issues (did I say crisis surely not Wink
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 16:50:15 »

The DFT may well have given some sort of general agreement regarding short formations, many of which can be blamed directly or indirectly on DFT trains delivered late, thereby impacting training, and then not working properly when they did arrive.

However I cant believe that DFT make decisions as to which individual trains are short formed. By the time a civil servant could make a decision, the train would have long since departed.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 17:06:56 »

Bob.  Monday to Thursday the last connection for Cornwall is the 1903 off Paddington, change at Plymouth for all stations to Penzance on a Sprinter.

Agreed - I was talking about through trains.  Added to which the 19:03 has a habit of losing time and either delaying the connection at Plymouth or finishing the journey by taxi or coach leading to an even later arrival.

Added to which if you cancel the 18:03 you end up with a set short at Long Rock overnight which almost certainly means at least a cancellation between Penzance and Plymouth the following morning.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: