Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:17:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Brightons gone again  (Read 27007 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 21:59:24 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) Brighton services can be quite handy. I've used them several times over the years. A through train is always more preferable than a change so I wouldn't want the see the service split.

It would however be a more natural fit if it were operated by SWR» (South Western Railway - about).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 08:57:49 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) Brighton services can be quite handy. I've used them several times over the years. A through train is always more preferable than a change so I wouldn't want the see the service split.

It would however be a more natural fit if it were operated by SWR» (South Western Railway - about).

Capped at both ends today. Engineering works at Bristol Parkway and lack of crew south of Westbury.

12:29 Filton Abbey Wood to Brighton due 16:18
12:29 Filton Abbey Wood to Brighton due 16:18 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Dilton Marsh, Warminster, Salisbury, Romsey, Southampton Central, Fareham, Cosham, Havant, Chichester, Barnham, Worthing, Shoreham-By-Sea, Hove and Brighton.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

Not sure where a "natural home" would be.  Even for SWR it goes beyond their current easterly limit of operation, and it goes north west of their other end at Bristol.  Some might suggest Cross Country, but their record to Brighton isn't encouraging ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 16:05:43 »

Caped, perhaps. Unless things have changed from my days as a lad at Cary.
want2workrail

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 21:58:22 »

Aren't the Brighton trains all run by the FGW (First Great Western) small depot based at Fratton? I can't see how issues of Westbury crews affect this?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 22:34:07 »

Aren't the Brighton trains all run by the FGW (First Great Western) small depot based at Fratton? I can't see how issues of Westbury crews affect this?

Not sure if it's purely Fratton crews who have Brighton route knowledge, but there are certainly turns where Fratton and Westbury crews can be swapped over.   Could be that a Westbury shortage is filled by a Fratton crew and that prevents a Brighton run.  Certainly had staff sickness at Fratton filled from Westbury in the past, and the Swindon - Westbury service lost for half a day as a result!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 00:02:07 »

That is correct. Unlike Wessex Trains days when Westbury crews worked the loco and coaches to Brighton, Westbury now only sign as far as Havant.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:26 »

Today’s Brighton’s terminate and start from Westbury today. Train crew.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 16:56:50 »

17:02 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 20:48
17:02 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 20:48 will be started from Westbury.
It will no longer call at Brighton, Hove, Shoreham-By-Sea, Worthing, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Salisbury and Warminster.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 18:34:03 »

0/2 so far this week.  Probably a very small number of Fratton crew who sign that route

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:13 »

12:22 Filton Abbey Wood to Brighton due 16:14 will be terminated at Bristol Temple Meads.
It will no longer call at Bath Spa, Freshford, Avoncliff, Bradford-On-Avon, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh, Warminster, Salisbury, Romsey, Southampton Central, Fareham, Cosham, Havant, Chichester, Barnham, Worthing, Shoreham-By-Sea, Hove and Brighton.

17:02 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 20:48 will be started from Bristol Temple Meads.
It will no longer call at Brighton, Hove, Shoreham-By-Sea, Worthing, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford-On-Avon, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park and Keynsham.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 09:50:41 »

Not gone - just diverted.

08:59 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 12:53
08:59 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 12:53 will be diverted between Fareham and Romsey.
It will no longer call at Southampton Central but will call additionally at Eastleigh.
This is due to a fault with the signalling system.

For through passengers, no great issue.   For Southampton passengers - there are hourly services from the South Coast and 2 an hour to / via Salisbury anyway to drop back to.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:35 »

Not gone - just diverted.

08:59 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 12:53
08:59 Brighton to Filton Abbey Wood due 12:53 will be diverted between Fareham and Romsey.
It will no longer call at Southampton Central but will call additionally at Eastleigh.
This is due to a fault with the signalling system.

For through passengers, no great issue.   For Southampton passengers - there are hourly services from the South Coast and 2 an hour to / via Salisbury anyway to drop back to.
Also depending on where the exact fault is there may still be a service from Eastleigh to Southampton.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 17:15:08 »

I caught the 1410 from Southampton Central this afternoon - was there about 30 mins beforehand and everything seemed to be running normally then ................in fact, amazingly, my train was on time at Southampton and into Warminster.................but.... the train down was 12 mins late.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:53 »

I may have been on the same train coming down, arriving about 12 minutes late into Southampton Central. The connection for the Sussex coast is 22 minutes, so for a change it was arriving in time this time, but there were no announcements on the train to alert people to the signalling problems. So those wanting to catch the Sussex coast train got off at Southampton to then discover their train was cancelled. Had that be announced in advance, they could have stayed on until Fratton and changed there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:29 »

08:59 Brighton to Great Malvern due 14:30
08:59 Brighton to Great Malvern due 14:30 will be started from Hove.
It will no longer call at Brighton.
This is due to a late running train being in front of this one.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: