23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:15:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay at home Sunday  (Read 13094 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:51 »

With quite a few cancellations occurring later in the day I wonder if the planners have been able to ensure there are sufficient trains ending up in the right place for the start of service tomorrow.

Having extended the validity of tickets issued for today until tomorrow some travellers are likely to opt for early morning Monday trains.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:53:46 by bobm » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 09:34:38 »

This sounds fun.

I need to get from Axminster to Plymouth at 7ish tonight.

I see my service is running from Exeter to Plymouth, but I expect a sardine can, as the two proceeding Exeter to Plymouth are cancelled!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:40 »

Can someone do a comparison of today against the last 4 Sunday’s to see the difference in planned trains. It seems to me that today just seems like a normal GWR (Great Western Railway) Sunday service.

Or let me know where I can get the data?

Paddington to Plymouth/Penzance is much worse, virtually wiped out, and on top of that all lines are blocked between Exeter and Totnes due to late finishing engineering works so the belated advice to "travel early" was a waste of time.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 10:52:55 »

To make things worse some trains that are running booked as 10 carriage IETs (Intercity Express Train) are running as 5 carriage due to...you’ve guessed it lack of train crew! See below for latest list:

09:00 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 11:18
09:30 London Paddington to Carmarthen due 13:37
10:00 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 12:33
10:30 London Paddington to Swansea due 13:48
11:54 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 14:24
14:58 Carmarthen to London Paddington due 19:10

Seriously if you can, don’t travel GWR (Great Western Railway) today.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 10:57:16 »

Paddington to Plymouth/Penzance is much worse, virtually wiped out, and on top of that all lines are blocked between Exeter and Totnes due to late finishing engineering works so the belated advice to "travel early" was a waste of time.
Yep Network Rail have joined in all the fun with overrunning engineering work adding to the already decimated service in the South West; particularly between Plymouth and Penzance.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2018, 11:04:45 »

With so many services cancelled, why are they running 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) ?
Could not HSTs (High Speed Train) or 9 car IETs have been used instead ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2018, 11:21:03 »

With so many services cancelled, why are they running 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) ?

Possibly, but the railway is primarily run for the avoidance or minimisation of penalties, rather than for the comfort of passengers.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2018, 11:26:10 »

And I think I caught those in mid-upload.  Some added.  Will come back in an hour or two as I expect we'll have a fuller picture by then.

Here we go, here’s a list of what not running tomorrow, just posted on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website:
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

Thanks ... looks like my Weymouth trip is on.

... and aborted at Westbury.  "Frequent posters" documentation to follow when I have calmed down a little.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 11:30:46 »

Because GWR (Great Western Railway) have a contract with Hitachi for them to provide these IETs. GWR would still have to pay for them even if they don’t use them. I suspect there will be some HSTs in sidings/depots also having the day off. I imagine GWR are already taking quite a financial ‘hit’ today because of all the services being cancelled along with extra back office staff helping out at stations who will be in overtime.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:15 »

... and aborted at Westbury.  "Frequent posters" documentation to follow when I have calmed down a little.

That’s sad to hear Graham.

Look forward to finding out why. From what I can see there are no cancellations on the Weymouth line today but that doesn’t mean to say things can happen at the last minute.

UPDATE: I can see why now  Sad
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2018, 11:34:53 »

(Hopefully this will work - my first attempt to insert an image on this forum!)

Perhaps there is a subliminal message in this juxtaposition of posters on Platform 12 at Reading this week
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:51:13 by eightonedee » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:21 »

Facilities on the 10:30 London Paddington to Swansea due 13:48.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10. Service full and standing
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2018, 12:09:34 »

Can anyone help me with the source of data? Network Rail API or open source?

Can someone do a comparison of today against the last 4 Sunday’s to see the difference in planned trains. It seems to me that today just seems like a normal GWR (Great Western Railway) Sunday service.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 12:26:27 »

That’s sad to hear Graham.

Look forward to finding out why. From what I can see there are no cancellations on the Weymouth line today but that doesn’t mean to say things can happen at the last minute.

UPDATE: I can see why now  Sad

The full ... enormity ... of the story at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20086.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2018, 12:27:57 »

Can anyone help me with the source of data? Network Rail API or open source?

Recent time trains may help - http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: