Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:01:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay at home Sunday  (Read 13130 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2018, 12:03:17 »

Things must have improved. I caught the delayed (roughly) 2030 from Exeter and it was going through to Penzance.

The only time I’ve ever been glad of a late train. We caught the 2006 from Axminster aiming for the 2120 (ish) to Plymouth. We pulled in at platform 3 at Exeter at 2042 as the delayed Penzance train was approaching.

My car was in Plymouth for the weekend as I was out of Liskeard earlier than the first train from Cornwall on Saturday morning, which would have been a contingency with all the cancellations
I think they did, but because trains were removed from the system(s) Realtime Trains uses as it's source, usually a great help at times of disruption and cancellations, wasn't much use yesterday. So yes, I believe some further trains from London did make it to Penzance but we don't have a record of which ones did and which ones didn't in the end. It may have been that GWR (Great Western Railway) were able to run more trains than expected at the start of the day. Hope for all those who were travelling that they were able to.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:54 »

Things must have improved. I caught the delayed (roughly) 2030 from Exeter and it was going through to Penzance.

The only time I’ve ever been glad of a late train. We caught the 2006 from Axminster aiming for the 2120 (ish) to Plymouth. We pulled in at platform 3 at Exeter at 2042 as the delayed Penzance train was approaching.

My car was in Plymouth for the weekend as I was out of Liskeard earlier than the first train from Cornwall on Saturday morning, which would have been a contingency with all the cancellations
I think they did, but because trains were removed from the system(s) Realtime Trains uses as it's source, usually a great help at times of disruption and cancellations, wasn't much use yesterday. So yes, I believe some further trains from London did make it to Penzance but we don't have a record of which ones did and which ones didn't in the end. It may have been that GWR (Great Western Railway) were able to run more trains than expected at the start of the day. Hope for all those who were travelling that they were able to.

I believe the one I was on is the last scheduled Penzance service normlwly. It was full and standing.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2018, 13:31:50 »

We talked about GWR (Great Western Railway)'s failings yesterday but XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) weren't exactly covering themselves in glory yesterday either with some services starting or terminating short. Between them the South West really got a raw deal yesterday.

Actually XC diversions benefited GWR yesterday.  It enabled GWR passengers to use cheltenham, Gloucester and Swindon due to the multiple GWR cancellations with ticket acceptance in place.    One XC train even called at Chippenham.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2018, 14:18:24 »

Actually XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) diversions benefited GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday.  It enabled GWR passengers to use cheltenham, Gloucester and Swindon due to the multiple GWR cancellations with ticket acceptance in place.    One XC train even called at Chippenham.
It did for sure.

It was the XC services terminating short at either Bristol or Exeter, and the Edinburgh train that started at Plymouth rather than Penzance due to crew shortages that didn't help matters in the South West where GWR were at times struggling to provide anywhere near an acceptable level of service for a Summer Sunday.
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2018, 14:20:29 »

After a bit of digging, a summary of GWR and Cross Country arrivals at Penzance yesterday from Plymouth and beyond:

10:59 arrival 2C48 08:57 from Plymouth ran throughout.

12:10 arrival 1C04 07:26 from Bristol TM(resolve) cancelled at Exeter SD (TG no driver).

14:16 arrival 1C05 07:57 from Paddington ran throughout.

14:47 arrival 1V44 10:57 from Bristol TM started at Plymouth (I5 engineering overrun).

16:11 arrival 1C79 10:57 from Paddington ran throughout.

16:50 arrival 2C48 14:50 from Plymouth ran throughout.

17:30 arrival 1C81 11:57 from Paddington cancelled at Plymouth (TG no driver).

18:24 arrival 1C84 12:57 from Paddington ran throughout.

19:33 arrival 2C49 16:05 from Exeter SD cancelled throughout (TG no driver).

20:23 arrival 1C86 14:57 from Paddington cancelled until Exeter SD (PG pre-planned cancellation). Ran as two seperate trains. 17:21 Exeter SD to Plymouth and 18:25 Plymouth to Penzance. Connection maintained at Plymouth.

20:39 arrival 1V56 09:08 from Edinburgh ran throughout.

21:40 arrival 2C51 19:42 from Plymouth cancelled throughout (TH no guard).

22:22 arrival 1C89 16:57 from Paddington ran as two seperate trains. 16:57 Paddington to Plymouth and 20:26 from Plymouth. Connection maintained at Plymouth.

22:42 arrival 1V60 11:05 from Edinburgh cancelled at Exeter SD (TH no guard).

23:35 arrival 1C92 17:57 Paddington to Plymouth ran as two seperate trains. 17:57 Paddington to Plymouth and 21:37 Plymouth to Penzance. Connection maintained at Plymouth as it was the same set throughout.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2018, 14:27:57 »

07:40 Oxford to London Paddington due 08:38
   - next train 08:40 - 60 minutes later

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-44845187

Commuters have been left "irate" and frustrated after Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) cancelled the only train on its hourly service.

GWR resumed a limited service of one train per hour between Oxford and London Paddington earlier, but the 07:40 BST train was cancelled.

Passengers sent tweets which included: "Are you even trying any more?"

"The train was cancelled due to stock displacement, following crew issues on Sunday," said a GWR spokesman.

Commuters vented their frustration on social media.

GWR said a bus replacement service to Didcot was provided for passengers.

A spokesman apologised and said: "Customers were provided with a strengthened replacement bus service while engineering works continues, prior to the departure of the following train service at 08:14."

Maintenance work has been taking place at Oxford station since 29 June.

Engineers are currently replacing track, signalling and cables as part of maintenance works which will affect services between 7 and 23 July.

Once complete it will allow faster travel as well as a new half-hourly London Marylebone to Oxford service.

Great Western Railway said it would operate replacement buses between Oxford and Didcot Parkway, and a limited fast service between 16 and 20 July.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2018, 00:34:01 »

23:35 arrival 1C92 17:57 Paddington to Plymouth ran as two seperate trains. 17:57 Paddington to Plymouth and 21:37 Plymouth to Penzance. Connection maintained at Plymouth as it was the same set throughout.

I was on this one. Why would it show as run as two separate trains? I’m guesisng due to previously advertising as being cut at Plymouth?

The driver who took over at Exeter was known to my friend so we had a quick chat with him, and he took the set from Exeter to Penzance.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:59 »

More pressing questions are starting to be asked of GWR (Great Western Railway).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44845472

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2018, 08:02:37 »

More pressing questions are starting to be asked of GWR (Great Western Railway).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44845472
About time, this has been going on far too long. Sadly I don't think it will make any difference. Northern and GTR are still operating and their problems are way worse than GWR's.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:04 »

It’s not totally GWRs (Great Western Railway) fault. The contract terminology dates from 1999. The powerful union are resisting change.
I was at a beer festival with a member of train crew on Saturday evening and the resource manager called and offered him a huge bonus to work his unavailable Sunday. He had to decline as there wasn’t a chance of being under the alcohol limit by anytime on Sunday!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2018, 09:23:32 »

It’s not totally GWRs (Great Western Railway) fault. The contract terminology dates from 1999. The powerful union are resisting change.
I was at a beer festival with a member of train crew on Saturday evening and the resource manager called and offered him a huge bonus to work his unavailable Sunday. He had to decline as there wasn’t a chance of being under the alcohol limit by anytime on Sunday!

Most powerful unions resisted change. That is why there are very few powerful unions these days.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:56 »

I was at a beer festival with a member of train crew on Saturday evening and the resource manager called and offered him a huge bonus to work his unavailable Sunday.
What a way to run a railway. How can you have any confidence your train will run when as late as Saturday night they are still trying to get staff to come in and work?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2018, 12:11:53 »

What a way to run a railway. How can you have any confidence your train will run when as late as Saturday night they are still trying to get staff to come in and work?

Agreed, but at least someone was still trying, right up to the last minute. Whats the betting upper management were at home with their feet up.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:17 »

Agreed, but at least someone was still trying, right up to the last minute. Whats the betting upper management were at home with their feet up.
No criticism at all of the person trying to get staff in to run trains, criticism of the mess many parts of the rail industry are in that it's come to this. Not an orderly and organised way to run a company. It felt like over the weekend they were making it up as they went along. People were continually asking on Twitter is my train going to run tomorrow and they couldn't answer.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2018, 18:45:13 »

Well, I would suggest the exact words are key, given there’s a world of difference between an agreement for Sunday’s in the working week, as you confidently claimed in your post earlier, and just committing to work Sunday’s if cover can’t be found.

What has been agreed (as part of the harmonisation deal) is that LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and West crews (under the new description of GWR (Great Western Railway) Driver) will work their rostered Sunday’s unless cover can be found - many of whom have to do that already, and that existing HSS (High Speed Services) drivers (where the cause of the vast majority of the Sunday shortages lie) are ring-fenced unless they choose to take the new GWR Driver grade which LTV and West drivers have agreed to.  Not many will.  All new drivers will now be working under the new GWR drivers agreements.

The situation regarding Sunday’s in the working week will, for all drivers, as previously stated, not change until at least 2021.

If they can’t cover West turns now because there is no cover then for all intents and purposes Sunday’s are in the working week..... just GWR are getting it on the cheap!
However, if Sunday’s are still not part of the working week then surely a driver doesn’t need to work regardless of wether cover can be found, for example, they could be rostered to work and just not show up.  Seems a gray area.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: