Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:38:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Bristol Parkway Closure - for three weeks  (Read 8977 times)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49:11 »

Why couldn't they arrange with First Bus to run direct buses from Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads for the three weeks. Say every 15 minutes?

Suggestion from an informed source suggests that they fear them getting stuck in traffic around Temple Meads.  Still road works going on around Temple Gate?

Works only just starting on the stretch at the bottom of the incline at Temple Meads
Currently getting rid of the central divide for the new section to go in

Works were due to finish this month, but have been extended by AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR !!
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 22:00:28 »

Why couldn't they arrange with First Bus to run direct buses from Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads for the three weeks. Say every 15 minutes?

Suggestion from an informed source suggests that they fear them getting stuck in traffic around Temple Meads.  Still road works going on around Temple Gate?

Works only just starting on the stretch at the bottom of the incline at Temple Meads
Currently getting rid of the central divide for the new section to go in

Works were due to finish this month, but have been extended by AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR !!

Tell me about it, sat on the number 8 hoping to get the 17:30 to Swindon but misssing it and onwards missing my Kemble connection. lovely!
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 11:30:56 »

Considering how bad city centre traffic has been over the last week or so (thanks to roadworks, road closures and a protest yesterday!), I am not surprised GWR (Great Western Railway) opted to not do BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) shuttles! Does make me wonder how it will cope come the end of October though! My girlfriend tried to get the bus from the bus station to Bath yesterday, it took 50 minutes for the bus to get from the bus station to Thekla!!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 13:04:35 »

It surprises me that the two local authorities, Bristol and SGC, did not sit down with First Bus, GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail and do something.

The decision to prioritise Metrobus routes 2+3 over 1, at the same time that Bristol Parkway is shut for three weeks, before Filton Abbeywood shuts for three weeks next month may have been determined by the Temple Meads gyratory issues, but it does not stop people from North Bristol( and Yate, Thornbury, etc) from having to work in the centre of Bristol.

There are certain decisions, or lack of them, that I would call a dereliction of duty and I would class this as one such case.

Adding a bus every 15 minutes from Bristol Parkway to the centre would certainly have helped.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 13:54:28 »

Considering how bad city centre traffic has been over the last week or so (thanks to roadworks, road closures and a protest yesterday!), I am not surprised GWR (Great Western Railway) opted to not do BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) shuttles! Does make me wonder how it will cope come the end of October though! My girlfriend tried to get the bus from the bus station to Bath yesterday, it took 50 minutes for the bus to get from the bus station to Thekla!!

When Filton Bank is shut - how would Bristol Parkway to Keynsham shuttles work - with a fifteen minute service (stopping the London and Portsmouth trains here) into and out of Bristol.   Added to which passengers on the Cardiff - Portsmouth run would travel Cardiff - Parkway, bus to Keynsham, train to Portsmouth and be able to avoid the City Centre completely.

Logical extension is for Parkway towards Taunton passengers to be bussed beyond the City centre.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 16:55:25 »

When Filton Bank is shut - how would Bristol Parkway to Keynsham shuttles work - with a fifteen minute service (stopping the London and Portsmouth trains here) into and out of Bristol.   Added to which passengers on the Cardiff - Portsmouth run would travel Cardiff - Parkway, bus to Keynsham, train to Portsmouth and be able to avoid the City Centre completely.
Logical extension is for Parkway towards Taunton passengers to be bussed beyond the City centre.

Parkway to Ring Road thence to Hicks Gate (one end of Keynsham By-pass) then A4 to Keynsham Church and Willsbridge Road to station. Same for Taunton and beyond pax, train from Keynsham to BRI and change or through PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains)/beyond services.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 19:55:59 »

It surprises me that the two local authorities, Bristol and SGC, did not sit down with First Bus, GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail and do something.

The decision to prioritise Metrobus routes 2+3 over 1, at the same time that Bristol Parkway is shut for three weeks, before Filton Abbeywood shuts for three weeks next month may have been determined by the Temple Meads gyratory issues, but it does not stop people from North Bristol( and Yate, Thornbury, etc) from having to work in the centre of Bristol.

There are certain decisions, or lack of them, that I would call a dereliction of duty and I would class this as one such case.

Adding a bus every 15 minutes from Bristol Parkway to the centre would certainly have helped.

Route m2 was originally intended to be the first route to launch but the continued delays to the completion and testing of the infrastructure led to the m3 route being launched first. It is my belief that First Group lost patience with the Metrobus organisation and threatened to withdraw from the project as they had procured assets (the buses) to operate the services and these were idle in a depot somewhere gathering dust.

The m2 route is the infamous guided bus bit of Metrobus which had its problems and to my mind is a total waste of money, the guided bit that is. At the last minute the Metrobus organisation were oblivious to the requirement for the route to be signed off by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) or whatever they are known as at present as the route was using "rails". A crude (my) description of the guide rails is a U-shaped steel section turned 90 degrees left or right and affixed to a guided busway equivalent of a rail chair which in turn is rawlbolted to the concrete surface of the busway itself. In my opinion the desired effect of funnelling the vehicles into the guided bits could equally be achieved by the use of curved and straight kerb edging like the rest of the guided bits. The guide rails only exist for about 5 metres at the commencement of each of the guided bits with the "jockey" wheels running against the walls of the both the kerb edgings of the sidewalks and the central reservations at other times.

The m1 route is still not complete of which that is not mentioned in dispatches. A Metrobus building compound is still present on the city centre next to the Cascade Steps and the Under the Skies floating eatery cum boozer, and stops exclusive to m1 are still devoid of their IPOINTS (ticket machines).

I won't start on the flooding of the m3 city centre stop over the weekend after a slight shower of rain, proof of which was seen by Grahame and DR at last nights meeting.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 20:09:29 by martyjon » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 21:09:14 »

Put very simply, First and/or MetroBust were desperate to run something - anything - on a network that should have been up and running at least 3 years ago. I am puzzled by the M1 route though. The infrastructure, such as it is, is in place, and the buses don't need to specially adapted like the M2 route - they only need to be a bog standard bus. Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to run buses from Parkway using the MetroBust bus only junction and the M32 bus lane during the works? Or was the rail work scheduled on the assumption that MetroBust would have been up, running, and solving all of Bristol's transport problems?

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 22:25:44 »

Parkway to Ring Road thence to Hicks Gate (one end of Keynsham By-pass) then A4 to Keynsham Church and Willsbridge Road to station. Same for Taunton and beyond pax, train from Keynsham to BRI and change or through PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains)/beyond services.

I think you may be saying that would work, right?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 07:28:13 »

I think you may be saying that would work, right?

To avoid road travel into Bristol City Centre, yes but peak hour travel on the Ring Road would be iffy but the bus lanes on the RR will help.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 08:33:13 »

I wish to travel from Bath to Gloucester during the period of this closure, and see that I have a choice of either catching the replacement bus to Yate to get the onward service from there, or catching the Cross Country service from Temple Meads to Gloucester which is diverting via Newport. As it happens, I also wish to go to Newport at some point, and was wondering about the validity of breaking my journey there on either outward or return journeys. I ask this as this isn't the normal route for this journey and the return fare to Newport from Bath is considerably more than the fare to Gloucester. Would my ticket be accepted if I break my journey and then continue using the slower service between Newport and Gloucester (ie not the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service)?
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2018, 18:03:00 »

Off to Cardiff tomorrow, going to do a change at Parkway for Cardiff to see the electrification progress. Only have a nine minute slot so if I’m delayed then there may be issue but other than that all should be fine.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: