Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:47:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Comedian humiliated for using disabled space on train - BBC News 17th July 2018  (Read 19236 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 18:55:54 »

When I was on a Stagecoach bus recently there was a notice by the wheelchair space to the effect that the space was for wheelchairs and if a pram/pushchair was using it they would have to move if a wheelchair boarded (can't remember the exact words) Perhaps a similar notice by wheelchair spaces on trains would clarify the issue and make it clear that wheelchairs have priority.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 19:03:23 »

I doubt whether we will ever hear the outcome to this event as GWR (Great Western Railway) will cover the event up with a statement similar to, "the company does not publically reveal details of disciplinary measures taken against its employees", in other words he'll keep his job and be free to humiliate other travellers in the future.

You probably won’t hear the outcome.  From my experiences within GWR they aren’t shy in putting someone through a disciplinary, and I’ve known dismissals as well.  The company has to get it spot on though because any mistake they make in the disciplinary process the unions will jump on 

Everyone is always quick to assume a baby in a pram is just a baby in a pram. I doubt wether this is the situation here but when is a baby born with a disability entitled to use the disabled spaces on public transport? 

With the exact same rights as any disabled person of any age. If the person or persons with a disabled newborn wish to occupy a space set aside for the disabled then they have the right to do so. Even if said baby is in what is, or appears to be, a normal pram/buggy.

I’ve seen this on a bus. Pram with a baby on some kind of breathing related equipment in the disabled space and a wheelchair user who was denied boarding. The wheelchair user wouldn’t have it and insisted the mother folded the pram.  When it was clear the conversation was going no where and the mother was getting quite distressed we decided she needed telling rather more bluntly!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 21:07:15 »

Everyone is always quick to assume a baby in a pram is just a baby in a pram. I doubt wether this is the situation here but when is a baby born with a disability entitled to use the disabled spaces on public transport? 

I wondered ... I doubt we will ever know, but feel there just has to be more to this story than has appeared in the 'press'.  One party is professionally articulate, the other unlikely to be so.  It is dangerous for us to come to a conclusion.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 22:08:11 »

I understand the train in question only had a first class disabled space.  There was no coach C with a standard class space.

That doesn’t excuse the behaviour reported but could, in fact, add another twist.  A wheelchair user in those circumstances should automatically be upgraded to first class.  That shouldn’t apply to a pram. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 22:18:07 »

I’ve seen this on a bus. Pram with a baby on some kind of breathing related equipment in the disabled space and a wheelchair user who was denied boarding. The wheelchair user wouldn’t have it and insisted the mother folded the pram.  When it was clear the conversation was going no where and the mother was getting quite distressed we decided she needed telling rather more bluntly!!

Who needed telling? Mum or the wheelchair user?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 22:37:47 »

I wondered ... I doubt we will ever know, but feel there just has to be more to this story than has appeared in the 'press'.  One party is professionally articulate, the other unlikely to be so.  It is dangerous for us to come to a conclusion.

I've seen at lot of this baseless supposition in the past couple of days. It really is depressing (it actually angers me) to see and hear so many able bodied people look to excuse the TMs(resolve) behaviour, or suggest Tanyalee Davis was somehow in the wrong. So what if she is articulate. Does that somehow ameliorate what happened to her? The TM was pretty articulate over the PA (Public Address).

Did Tanyalee Davis go looking for the confrontation? I've seen no evidence of that. What I have seen, and heard from her, is that the situation was escalated, first by a fellow passenger who held the mistaken belief that a pram could go into a disabled space, and then by a TM who sided with the mum & baby.

Yes, Tanyalee Davis has a 'platform'. Yes she's included her experiences of society's treatment of her as a disabled person in her stand-up. She hasn't before though felt the need to go so public. Why this time? Perhaps because this incident was the straw that broke the camels back? Perhaps because this incident was so demonstrably wrong. Perhaps because, for her, enough is enough and it's no longer a laughing matter to be included in her stand up material.

More power to her elbow I say.

I have no problem coming to a conclusion. The TM was 100% wrong.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 00:51:50 »

I've seen at lot of this baseless supposition in the past couple of days. It really is depressing (it actually angers me) to see and hear so many able bodied people look to excuse the TMs(resolve) behaviour, or suggest Tanyalee Davis was somehow in the wrong. So what if she is articulate. Does that somehow ameliorate what happened to her? The TM was pretty articulate over the PA (Public Address).

Did Tanyalee Davis go looking for the confrontation? I've seen no evidence of that. What I have seen, and heard from her, is that the situation was escalated, first by a fellow passenger who held the mistaken belief that a pram could go into a disabled space, and then by a TM who sided with the mum & baby.

Yes, Tanyalee Davis has a 'platform'. Yes she's included her experiences of society's treatment of her as a disabled person in her stand-up. She hasn't before though felt the need to go so public. Why this time? Perhaps because this incident was the straw that broke the camels back? Perhaps because this incident was so demonstrably wrong. Perhaps because, for her, enough is enough and it's no longer a laughing matter to be included in her stand up material.

More power to her elbow I say.

I have no problem coming to a conclusion. The TM was 100% wrong.

Quoting in full, in reply to your full post, BNM

I was careful not to speculate. I just cautioned that we might not have the full story.

We are utterly right to go the extra mile in society for those less able than ourselves. Indeed it's enshirned in law that we do so to the extent of giving them an experience which is no worse than those that the rest of us experience. 

At times, we are requested/required to wait for total evidence - for all parties to have been fairly heard - before any final conclusion is reached, and indeed at times to know that final outcome. That's far from satisfying to the people following the story, but I understand the need.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 02:02:17 »

At times, we are requested/required to wait for total evidence - for all parties to have been fairly heard - before any final conclusion is reached, and indeed at times to know that final outcome. That's far from satisfying to the people following the story, but I understand the need.

Requested and required by whom?

In these sort of incidents we rarely, if ever, hear the defence or justification for the actions of the railway employee. Does that mean we refrain from comment entirely? Refrain from stating an opinion based on available evidence?

grahame, you didn't just caution that we don't have the full story. There's your clear inference that there has (your emphasis) to be more to this story. Followed by making the point that Tanyalee Davis is professionally articulate. I'm still not clear what you meant by that. If there has to be more to the story then its surprising that GWR (Great Western Railway) haven't rolled back on their initial strong condemnation of what happened to Ms Davis. That is very telling in itself. Rarely does the employer make such a strong statement so soon after an incident like this. With the wide media coverage GWR would surely, three days after the incident, be able to update the media if there is evidence that counters Tanyalee Davis' version of events.

One can legitimately make comment (I don't think I've made any unfounded suppositions here) based on available evidence. And I hope one can robustly challenge suppositions and hypotheses that don't match that available evidence.

This is not an isolated incident. Despite ever stronger legislation over the years, disabled people are still routinely treated shabbily by public transport providers. In the last ten years I know of only one incident that turned out to be 'more to this story' . That was the incident between Qamar Khaliq and Northern Trains in 2010. I'll freely admit I got burned on that one. Mr Khaliq turned out to be a bit of fantasist.

One incident though won't change my strongly held belief that public transport providers are routinely treating the disabled as an inconvenience. Routinely denying them the hard won rights to be treated equally. Routinely breaking the law. I will continue to defend the disabled in these situations. Defend them against the claims that "this must've happened" or "that must've happened" when there is no evidence to support those hypotheses. I'll continue to rail against those who try to defend the indefensible by attempting to blacken the character of the disabled complainant.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 05:23:50 »

There remains a seed of doubt in my mind, and personally I'm refraining from conclusions. I suppose that is a personal 'requirement'.  Posters on the forum are responsible for their own postings and content.

You have taken the specific case and used it as an example of something more general. My general case comment, which you didn't quote back, remains:

We are utterly right to go the extra mile in society for those less able than ourselves. Indeed it's enshirned in law that we do so to the extent of giving them an experience which is no worse than those that the rest of us experience.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 07:56:23 »

One of the common, and perhaps disappointing themes in this discussion and similar on other forums is the extreme difficulty of a significant number (not all) of those employed on/close to the railways in accepting the disabled customer's version of events without a "yeah but", equivocation, or desperate search for another angle.

I'm pretty loyal to my own Business and quite proud of what we do, but I am also big enough to accept, unequivocally, that sometimes we get it wrong. Very occasionally, dramatically so.

Generally, I do not require a judicial level of proof to be able to make my judgement on this. There is a concept called "balance of probability", which generally suffices.

Equally, I have noted that there is a pretty unedifying campaign on certain social media platforms in respect of the TM(resolve). It's in everyone's interests to complete the investigation swiftly and take whatever actions are necessary. I hope that all get the justice they deserve.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:55:29 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:15 »

Although not particularly relevant in this instance, which is in effect primarily about a pushchair improperly blocking a disabled space, this does flag up to me a concern that maybe there is a wider issue here. Is modern train design in fact allowing enough space for the number of disabled persons wishing to use them?

I almost got involved in an incident a while back which made me ponder this. I was sitting in a disabled space and was very politely asked to move by the train manager so that a blind lady could sit there. My immediate reaction was to apologise and move elsewhere, which of course I did - however, thinking about it afterwards, I am in fact a disabled persons railcard holder myself, and was travelling on a reduced ticket (which the train manager had yet to check - as it happens, she never did); so I could very easily have got involved in an unedifying argument, in effect playing "top trumps" with the blind lady as to whose disability railcard carried the most "points".

To my mind, nobody should be placed in this kind of situation, and the only civilised way forward to my mind is to undertake some analysis of current levels of demand to establish whether the current provision for disabled persons - and indeed pushchair, folding bike and shopping trolley users - is in fact adequate.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:59 »

For sure, the number of accesible spaces allowed for in car parks is way over the number required generally.

But accessible spaces/seating on trains? I'm sure that those representing passengers with need for these spaces would have poked their heads above the parapet if this was a general problem of being insufficient.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 11:01:01 »

I'm sure that those representing passengers with need for these spaces would have poked their heads above the parapet if this was a general problem of being insufficient.

Nobody represents me, sunbeam. I'm not saying I particularly need a disabled seat, but I am entitled to one - and the only way of establishing whether the entitlement of myself and potentially thousands of others is being effectively met is to analyse the usage. It's not difficult. If sixteen advance tickets are purchased using a disabled railcard for a particular service and there are only 12 places available, there's a problem straightaway.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 11:16:10 »

On a one-off booking? Sorry, but that's just not realistically feasible....if there's a *regular* problem with insufficient provision, completely agree, but if there's one problem in say a couple of months, then it's for the train company on receipt of the booking to handle in any appropriate way. And that might be to convey some by other means/services, depending on requirements.

There's no discrimination here - if a train is full to bursting, for example, all passengers can't be carried.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:30 »

Suppressed demand.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: