Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:41:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Comedian humiliated for using disabled space on train - BBC News 17th July 2018  (Read 19244 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:55 »

Thank You.  Every time I try to read something like this it asks me to register.....

Thought it easier to put up a screen shot - had to do it this way as the image was too large

https://ibb.co/guB8My

…...just for the record, this has nothing to do with the link that I provided.

Interesting that GWR (Great Western Railway) isn't the only operator that seems to have a problem in this respect though?
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 13:07:44 »

Thank You.  Every time I try to read something like this it asks me to register.....

Thought it easier to put up a screen shot - had to do it this way as the image was too large

https://ibb.co/guB8My

…...just for the record, this has nothing to do with the link that I provided.

Interesting that GWR (Great Western Railway) isn't the only operator that seems to have a problem in this respect though?

The further back on her timeline the more "problems" you will see
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2018, 18:54:22 »

Yes indeed. It's an industry wide problem (quote marks and their hidden subtext unnecessary) that needs addressing.

A series of tweets from one disabled user, documenting their negative experiences, are an excellent record to show the wider world.

Progress is being made. The RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) have issued guidance to TOCs (Train Operating Company) stating that legal opinion is that mobility scooters used by those with protected characteristics, and that meet the 'reference dimensions', are to be treated no differently than wheelchairs.

More needs doing. But it's a start. Tanyalee's publicity of her regular problems accessing trains should be welcomed and not be dismissed as militancy.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2018, 08:11:26 »

Yes indeed. It's an industry wide problem (quote marks and their hidden subtext unnecessary) that needs addressing.

A series of tweets from one disabled user, documenting their negative experiences, are an excellent record to show the wider world.

Progress is being made. The RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) have issued guidance to TOCs (Train Operating Company) stating that legal opinion is that mobility scooters used by those with protected characteristics, and that meet the 'reference dimensions', are to be treated no differently than wheelchairs.

More needs doing. But it's a start. Tanyalee's publicity of her regular problems accessing trains should be welcomed and not be dismissed as militancy.

If something positive is to come out of this, as well as greater awareness of the needs of disabled customers, let's hope it's an overall shift in the culture on the railways per se to become customer service organisations with services designed in that context - the railways are so far behind virtually every other sector in this respect that there are plenty of opportunities which could be taken quickly, and relatively inexpensively to start that journey...…………..eliminating the type of experience which Tanyalee had to endure being one perfect example.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2018, 14:18:51 »

I see she has had more trouble with another TOC (Train Operating Company) now.  From her Twitter feed it looks as if she’s was left on a train by LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) and overcarried
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2018, 15:14:14 »

Why am I not surprised? The problem is endemic. Nothing less than putting TOCs (Train Operating Company) in front of judges, and/or a Parliamentary Select Committee, will do.

A few prosecutions and some hefty fines and compensations may just concentrate minds. This treatment of the disabled by public transport operators is a national shame. It is 2018. The disabled have fought long and hard for equality. Yet they are still shat on day in, day out when they dare to interact with society, and just try to do what all the rest of us take for granted.

News of her latest inexcusable treatment:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44910639

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2018, 16:17:14 »

Instructions/clarification have been issued to all front line colleagues staff...

'It is always difficult when making decisions in the moment when balancing the needs of two passengers.However, in order to help colleagues who may find themselves in this situation, we would like to make our position on this quite clear. When required, passengers with reduced mobility using a mobility scooter or wheelchair have priority to use the designated on-train wheelchair spaces over all other passengers regardless of whether others have reserved the place.

This includes passengers using it to store their luggage, bicycles, pushchairs or any other accompanied articles. When storage space is limited then passengers should be politely requested to fold down the pushchair and vacate the designated space. 

GWR (Great Western Railway) has an obligation to ensure, that when required, the wheelchair space on a train is made available for wheelchair or mobility scooter users. We should politely explain this to our customers and ask them to move their luggage, bicycles, pushchairs or any other accompanied articles.  

Please can I ask for your help to work together to make sure we all comply with this position for the comfort and safety of all our passengers.'

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2018, 16:32:56 »

Which goes against the policy of mobility scooters are to be stowed as luggage (where in the accessible space or not), now why if GWR (Great Western Railway) had previously revised it's policy was it not communicated with front line staff or changed on their website?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2018, 16:35:47 »

This may seem blindingly obvious, but surely the sheer fact it is called and designated 'the wheelchair space' shows that the wheelchair user takes precedence over everything else.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2018, 16:55:59 »

It is becoming a little tiresome to keep quoting the RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) guidance for TOCs (Train Operating Company), issued after legal clarification from the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about):

The Department for Transport (DfT) and Office of Rail and Road (ORR) have indicated that there is no clear basis for differentiating between wheelchair and mobility scooter devices, provided they meet the ‘reference wheelchair’ specification (Length: 1200mm, Width: 700mm, Height: 1350mm, Laden weight: 300kg, and have similar manoeuvrability.

(Tanyalee Davis' scooter complies with those dimensions and manoeuvrability requirements)

And:

The Equality Act (2010) legislation was found to be unclear on whether mobility scooters have the same rights as wheelchair users in terms of the use of designated wheelchair spaces on-board trains in Great Britain. Clarifications, in response to project queries, have led to the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) and Department for Transport (DfT) interpreting the legislation to mean that both aids can reasonably be interpreted to be ‘wheelchairs’.

Seems pretty unequivocal and a reasonable interpretation of the legislation. I'd like to think the judiciary would also agree. "Your honour, Ms Davis' mobility aid has wheels and a chair..."

Users of mobility aids that comply with the reference dimensions take precedence over everyone else when occupying spaces set aside for the disabled. If the aid complies and the person using it has protected characteristics that's the end of debate. No moving them for prams and no on the hoof assessing of who is the 'most' disabled. Unreserved then it's first disabled come first disabled served.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2018, 17:31:14 »

Instructions/clarification have been issued to all front line colleagues staff...

'It is always difficult when making decisions in the moment when balancing the needs of two passengers.However, in order to help colleagues who may find themselves in this situation, we would like to make our position on this quite clear. When required, passengers with reduced mobility using a mobility scooter or wheelchair have priority to use the designated on-train wheelchair spaces over all other passengers regardless of whether others have reserved the place.

This includes passengers using it to store their luggage, bicycles, pushchairs or any other accompanied articles. When storage space is limited then passengers should be politely requested to fold down the pushchair and vacate the designated space. 

GWR (Great Western Railway) has an obligation to ensure, that when required, the wheelchair space on a train is made available for wheelchair or mobility scooter users. We should politely explain this to our customers and ask them to move their luggage, bicycles, pushchairs or any other accompanied articles.  

Please can I ask for your help to work together to make sure we all comply with this position for the comfort and safety of all our passengers.'

if you could also use some basic commonsense, empathy and common courtesy when using the PA (Public Address), rather than humiliating disabled customers in a totally unprofessional and threatening way, it would also be appreciated
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2018, 17:53:29 »

Ahem.  When I first read your post TG I thought you were addressing your comment to the poster, II.  Perhaps a slight rearranging of your post is required?
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2018, 18:38:47 »

'...When required, passengers with reduced mobility using a mobility scooter or wheelchair have priority to use the designated on-train wheelchair spaces over all other passengers regardless of whether others have reserved the place.'

When GWR (Great Western Railway) state 'have reserved', above, do they actually mean 'are already using'? GWR are surely not stupid enough to allow reservation of the 'companion' seat(s), and thus by implication the wheelchair space, by anyone other than a disabled traveller?

NB. Possible pedantry alert. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2018, 19:16:02 »

I wondered on that point too B_B.

I suspect it is just poor wording. That does though raise a little cause for concern. GWR (Great Western Railway) should be issuing clear and unambiguous guidance to its staff.

I don't think the disabled spaces and accompanying seat can be  reserved by just anyone. It has to be done either through Passenger Assistance, or in person at a staffed station.

And I don't think the intention of this reminder guidance is to suggest that one disabled person, who has reserved the space, can be turfed out by another.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2018, 22:42:11 »

Why am I not surprised? The problem is endemic. Nothing less than putting TOCs (Train Operating Company) in front of judges, and/or a Parliamentary Select Committee, will do.

A few prosecutions and some hefty fines and compensations may just concentrate minds. This treatment of the disabled by public transport operators is a national shame. It is 2018. The disabled have fought long and hard for equality. Yet they are still shat on day in, day out when they dare to interact with society, and just try to do what all the rest of us take for granted.

News of her latest inexcusable treatment:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44910639

But will it.  We are going backwards when it comes to accessibility on the railway. Where services are DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), wheelchair users joining or alighting a train at an unstaffed station has to book at least 24 hours in advance.

Northern Rail and the Tyne & Wear Metro, as far as I know, still have a ban on powered mobility scooters

Train operators are not required to carry mobility scooters.

Not once did Tanyalee Davis explain to everyone that the mother of the baby had a broken arm, nor did she tell everyone that she suggested the pram should be folded and the newborn laid on a table.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 00:00:21 by a-driver » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: