Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:28:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[153] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[57] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[51] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[25] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[23] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was I on Tuesday 22nd July 2014?  (Read 4739 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 18:13:52 »

Balloon trip?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 18:33:41 »

Sheffield Meadowhall, near the Travelodge.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 19:42:02 »

Well nobody has got anywhere near yet, so I'll post up one final non-railway pictorial clue. And given there's only one place it could possibly be after you've seen it, the answer will become obvious if you know that neck of the woods:

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 19:54:34 »

St. John's then ... or just outside Douglas. Not the airport itself at Ronaldsway as the station there is still open, though the second least used airport station in the UK (United Kingdom).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 20:06:09 »

The junction of the Isle of Man Railway and Manx Northern Railway a little west of St John's where the two lines diverge as they cross the River Neb.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 20:22:19 »

St. John's then ... or just outside Douglas. Not the airport itself at Ronaldsway as the station there is still open, though the second least used airport station in the UK (United Kingdom).

Ah yes - Ronaldsway International Airport station...

The reason for its lack of use is that the IOM Steam Railway doesn't advertise it as a call! It is a request stop for those "in the know" even though it is only 300 yards walk from the airport terminal building. When I was last on the island in 2017 I was staying at the Sefton Express Hotel which is even closer to the station, and got a remark from the guard when I asked him to stop three times on the same day!

The junction of the Isle of Man Railway and Manx Northern Railway a little west of St John's where the two lines diverge as they cross the River Neb.

The photograph is indeed of the twin bridges west of St Johns, where the Peel line (in the foreground) and the Ramsey line diverge. It was a much photographed location when the lines were open, because many trains were combined from Douglas to St Johns where the portions were split, and "races" often happened between the two drivers along here. The Peel train would have had the advantage of the gradient, but the Ramsey portions were usually lighter.

There was also a branch to Foxdale that once ran south from St Johns, and just east of the station that branch passed over the Douglas line. It is the only point on the Isle of Man where one railway is bridged by another.

As regards the day trip element, back in 2014 I found out that a small airline called Citywing were operating a twice daily service between Gloucester airport (Staverton) and Ronaldsway with an advertised flight time of 70 minutes. Leaving Gloucester at 0910 and Ronaldsway at 1710, it easily gave you six usable hours on the island. Regrettably Citywing went bust in 2017 (even more regrettably 4 days after I paid them £360 for two returns when we were going over for the Festival of Transport, but that's another matter...) and nobody else wanted the Gloucester route.

It is still possible to do a day trip to the Isle f Man today from Liverpool, Manchester or London City airports, but none of those is as convenient for me as Gloucester was. Easyjet fly to and from Bristol on Mondays and Fridays but only one trip on each day, so you can go from Bristol if you want a long weekend or most of a week on the Isle of Man (or longer periods of course).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 20:52:11 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 20:47:49 »

There's also the combined Rail+Sail option to the Isle of Man with mainland trains to Liverpool or Heysham then Isle of Man Steam Packet ferry to the island. Quite reasonably priced for a short break and there are also Railcard discounts on the fares.

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/sailandrail

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 20:57:44 »

There's also the combined Rail+Sail option to the Isle of Man with mainland trains to Liverpool or Heysham then Isle of Man Steam Packet ferry to the island. Quite reasonably priced for a short break and there are also Railcard discounts on the fares.

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/sailandrail

We ended up sailing from Heysham after Citywing went bust when we went in 2017. Although we took the car over (mainly because that's the easiest way to get to & from Heysham, an I had some books that I had to take over anyway), we had "Go Explore" tickets when we were there, which give (almost) unlimited travel on all rail, bus and tram routes.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/bus-and-rail/go-cards/go-explore/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: