Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:59:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock moves and changes this weekend - West of England main line  (Read 3533 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:35 »

Interesting to see 3 trains moving from Laira up to the Brisol area today
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XLZ/2018/07/27/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
5Z83   GW (Great Western)   Stoke Gifford   0939   
5Z82   GW   Stoke Gifford   1015   
5Z74   GW   St Philips Mrsh H S T D   1033
Balancing the stock, or part of the re-assignments?

And from GWR (Great Western Railway) "There is a possibility, not yet confirmed, that we may be able to operate a nine car, brand new Intercity Express Train to [West Country Destination] this Saturday morning". That latter may have been updated (confirmed or reverted to HST (High Speed Train)) by now.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 13:27:38 »

Grahame,  I think the two IET (Intercity Express Train) sets may be returning to base after have been travelling around in the Far Southwest this week on driver/guard training.

Also, this cross posted from an insider on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:
20th August, followed by more on 10th September, which will introduce the first Long Rock starter.

20th August SX workings into Cornwall should be the 0730 Paddington-Penzance and the 1400 Penzance-Paddington.

...and:
I gather there will be a 9 car 80x going to Paignton this Saturday in timetabled regular service for those of you down here who haven't yet been in the train on one. I believe this is booked working from this point onwards. No idea of timings etc.
That would be 1C75 0818 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PGN and 1A84 1308 PGN-PAD.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 13:51:50 »

Grahame ...

The service data you have matches my intelligence too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 18:46:31 »

West of England Main Line? Thread title confused me initially. I saw the it and thought it was going to be a topic on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) changes because of the current industrial action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_England_line

Aren't we actually talking of the Bristol to Exeter and Exeter to Plymouth lines? Second one also known as South Devon Main Line. Both together though aren't known as the West of England (Main) Line.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 19:13:44 »

West of England Main Line? Thread title confused me initially. I saw the it and thought it was going to be a topic on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) changes because of the current industrial action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_England_line

Aren't we actually talking of the Bristol to Exeter and Exeter to Plymouth lines? Second one also known as South Devon Main Line. Both together though aren't known as the West of England (Main) Line.

Hmmm ... I can see how the title might have confused; historically, the London and South Western Railway, Southern Railway and Southern Region used the term "West of England main line" as opposed the the Portsmouth main line or others. But what would you use as a "brand name" if you like for the line from Paddington to Plymouth that can be traversed in under the magic 3 hours?

Bristol only came into the post as it looked like the move of quite a bit of stock away from the "West of England Main Line" "conglomeration of routes that make the fastest ail route to Plymouth"

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 19:33:23 »

I saw DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) 802 002 in Penzance station yesterday, Thursday, at about 1030. Presumably on crew training.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:42:09 »

That would be 1C75 0818 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PGN and 1A84 1308 PGN-PAD.
[/quote]

Departure boards at Paddington show the 08:18 will be 9 coaches.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 14:48:43 »

800 309 became the first IET (Intercity Express Train) to run in passenger service west of Taunton as the nine car set formed the 08:18 to Paignton and 13:08 back to London Paddington.

It lost some time on the down journey, including 11 minutes at Dawlish Warren for reasons I haven't yet established.

Seen here on the sea wall on the down trip

...and mixing the old with the new at Teignmouth on the way back, where it arrived two minutes early.

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 16:09:48 »

It lost some time on the down journey, including 11 minutes at Dawlish Warren for reasons I haven't yet established.

SDO (Selective Door Opening) failure.
Only 2 doors could be released towards the rear of the platformed coaches.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 06:28:52 »

800 309 became the first IET (Intercity Express Train) to run in passenger service west of Taunton as the nine car set formed the 08:18 to Paignton and 13:08 back to London Paddington.

Seen here on the sea wall on the down trip

...and mixing the old with the new at Teignmouth on the way back, where it arrived two minutes early.

At least you managed to stay dry, bobm!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 08:46:02 »

I was lucky - two showers during the day and I missed both of them.  However the sun did just hide behind a cloud as the train emerged from Parsons Tunnel.

Rained all night in South Devon.  Meanwhile in Swindon there has been nearly half an inch of rain in the last 24 hours.

Don't think I'll bother going to snap the Torbay Express - I gather it is diesel hauled today anyway.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 08:54:44 »

I was lucky - two showers during the day and I missed both of them.  However the sun did just hide behind a cloud as the train emerged from Parsons Tunnel.

Rained all night in South Devon.  Meanwhile in Swindon there has been nearly half an inch of rain in the last 24 hours.

Don't think I'll bother going to snap the Torbay Express - I gather it is diesel hauled today anyway.

Perfect conditions at Dawlish and Teignmouth at the moment for testing a passing IET (Intercity Express Train)  Grin  Roll Eyes

Yes, the TE is diesel hauled as two members of Clan Line's support crew are unavailable due to a health scare. Thankfully, the person concerned is recovering well in hospital (the other member being his wife).
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 10:39:22 »

Seen here between Westbury and Trowbridge on the return leg (via Melksham.)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 10:59:52 »

Seen here between Westbury and Trowbridge on the return leg (via Melksham.)
[snip]

Seen here on the outbound leg.  Lady walked across as I was photographing the train coming through, then insisted I not use her picture!

Here's the back of the train:

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: