Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:55:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are UK trains the 'envy' of Europe?  (Read 2933 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 30, 2018, 19:46:21 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Claim: Most major Western European countries would "only dream" of having the UK (United Kingdom)'s record on train punctuality and performance.

Reality Check verdict: UK passengers are more satisfied with their train service than many of their European neighbours, according to a report from 2013 - although this data is now a little old. But this doesn't necessarily reflect the actual quality of the service. UK trains are similarly punctual to many major Western European countries. They are more heavily used and more expensive, however.

Passengers on Northern, covering areas including Manchester, Liverpool and Cumbria, have faced cancelled trains and major delays since a new timetable was introduced in May.

Amid the chaos, Robert Nisbet, director of the rail companies' membership body the Rail Delivery Group, told BBC 5 live that the UK's railways were the "envy" of Europe.

"We're a hugely successful railway in many ways - much more so than many countries in Western Europe who would only dream about having our kind of performance and punctuality records," he said.

[continues]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 20:24:40 »

Europe is a big place. I would suggest this is a deliberate choice so that when asked to support the claim, 'evidence' can be cherry picked from any country that has an aspect of railway performance worse than ours.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 20:49:54 »

many countries in Western Europe who would only dream about having our kind of performance and punctuality records

I think the correct terminology is "have nightmares".

Was RDG(resolve) really set up to be the spin delivery group?

[edited to include quote]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 23:08:37 by Trowres » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 21:55:10 »

"Laughing stock" is more appropriate.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:07:56 »

Maybe not so far off the mark. The grass is always greener over the channel.

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) is in trouble particularly on long distance non LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) routes and TGVs (Train a Grande Vitesse) aren't doing too well either hence OUIGO.

DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) ICE and ICs (Inter City) seem to have got  very unreliable late running. Hover contracted out RE (Religious Education) RB  provincial services seem to be flourishing.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:22:14 »

Was RDG(resolve) really set up to be the spin delivery group?
Yep totally.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:26:54 »

Having used various rail/metro networks around Europe this past year I'm inclined to agree. I think where other countries gain over the UK (United Kingdom) is on the cost, our rail fares are at times very expensive compared to rail services in Europe.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:36:26 »

Maybe back in, oh i don't know the 1930's, modern days probably not.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:38 »

I was in Germany last week and I took several regional services, all as it happens operated by DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Regio, and every one arrived late. A couple by only five minutes, but the others ranged up to half an hour (on an hourly frequency service). One started off on time, but was looped twice in a journey that should have taken 30 minutes to allow (presumably) late running expresses to overtake on a 2-track railway, so ended up taking about 45 minutes. The longest delay was due to 'the late arrival of the incoming service' - the previous service had been cancelled too so it was packed on arrival. The last train I took had about 50% of the doors non-operational.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:01:01 »

My own experience of European rail also compares poorly in many cases to the British equivalent.  Many regional services, if they run at all, are comparatively infrequent in many countries given the big towns they serve.  Delays are still common.  Quality of train interior is broadly comparable but varies wildly on the continent from very good to 'please give me a pacer instead!'.  However where they exist, high speed rail services generally make many of our routes look slow by comparison.

I've commented myself before on how the German network has struggled recently, and didcotdean's experiences suggest they are still struggling.

The current woes our network is facing is putting us in an increasingly bad light though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 18:40:13 »

Having used various rail/metro networks around Europe this past year I'm inclined to agree. I think where other countries gain over the UK (United Kingdom) is on the cost, our rail fares are at times very expensive compared to rail services in Europe.

In general, I feel that more effort is made with trains and stations here than on the continent, particularly regional and local services. Whilst both stations and trains might be smaller and more crowded, both tend to have a much better ambiance, trains are more comfortably furnished, cleaner, both are more or less graffiti free and there is generally at least an attempt to give the customer a better experience.

In general, on the continent I find that things are generally far more spartan and functional. Even major stations are often little more than windswept over/underpasses, dirty, graffiti strewn and feel very insecure, with little in the way of retail or food offerings other than burgers. Trains, whilst being spacious are often grubby, tired and cold. Yes, it generally works in a functional sort of way, but more from force of routine and the system not being overloaded I suspect.

As for fares, I think it depends where you are, Belgium was certainly cheap, Switzerland definitely not.   
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:06:24 »

I don't think our railways are the envy of Europe, but they are a long way from being the worse in Europe (except perhaps for walk-up ticket prices).  Have recently used DSB (Denmark) and experienced delays as the norm, lack of information, graffiti over many train windows and one DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) which caught fire. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: