Delayed
04:53 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 06:49:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[255] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[86] "Mayflower"
[80] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Where have I been?
[54] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easements ... some current interesting examples  (Read 2412 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 30, 2018, 20:19:05 »

http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf

Some of these have me scratching my head!

700778 - Customers travelling via Dingwall to Long Buckby may travel via Rugby avoiding Northampton. This routeing point eassement overrides fares checking and operates in both directions.

700771 - Journeys between Salisbury and Swindon priced on route (00136) VIA MELKSHAM may travel via Bath Spa on the following dates; 23 - 26 April 2018; 14 - 17 May 2018; 04 - 07 June 2018; 09 - 12 July 2018; 16 July to 05 August 2018; 28 - 30 August 2018; 08 - 11 October 2018 and 19 - 22 November 2018. This fare route easement applies in both directions

700351 - Customers travelling via Yate to Bromsgrove in possession of tickets routed "Any 700351 Doubleback Permitted" may double back via Birmingham New Street. This easement applies in both directions.

700350 - Customers travelling from Norton Bridge via Crewe may double back via Stafford. This easement applies in both directions.

700413 - Customers traveling from Cleethorpes, Grimsby Town, Habrough, Barnetby and Scunthorpe to Brough in possession of tickets routed "Any Permitted" may not travel via Manchester Stations. This easement applies in both directions.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 21:03:05 »

That last one does seem a bit odd...

I think they've forgotten one.

999999 - Customers travelling from St Erth to St Ives in possession of tickets routed "Any Permitted" may not travel via Wick. This easement applies in both directions.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 21:23:19 »

Are you certain these aren't the rules for the Network Rail edition of Mornington Crescent?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 21:47:08 »

http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf

700351 - Customers travelling via Yate to Bromsgrove in possession of tickets routed "Any Permitted" may double back via Birmingham New Street. This easement applies in both directions.

I've fixed the formatting error in that one from the cut and paste.

Not sure why it's a headscratcher though. Travelling to Bromsgrove from the south isn't easy due to the lack of services that call there. You can change at Cheltenham Spa onto a CrossCountry service from Cardiff to Nottingham, but only two peak time services each way call at Bromsgrove. The easement allows for many more journey opportunities without having to go via Worcester.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 21:55:58 »

I've fixed the formatting error in that one from the cut and paste.

Thanks.

Not sure why it's a headscratcher though.

That one isn't ... "Some of these have me scratching my head".  The Bromsgrove one and the Melksham one are clear; the other three are odd!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 22:08:30 »

The Bromsgrove one is very useful if you want to get to Birmingham on the cheap from certain stations...

One just breaks their journey in Birmingham and forgets to go on to Bromsgrove.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 22:11:57 »

Frankly when I get to Birmingham New Street I invariably get lost so going to Bromsgrove would easily slip my mind.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 22:58:13 »

Spoiled for choice with weird easements. How about:

[700097
Customers in possession of tickets routed Thornford Honiton may travel via Yeovil
Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill. These tickets are not valid for travel via Castle Cary. This
easement applies in both directions

1. Which tickets carry this routeing?
2. Is there a valid route without the easement?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 06:29:06 »

Frankly when I get to Birmingham New Street I invariably get lost so going to Bromsgrove would easily slip my mind.
Glad it’s not just me.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 22:51:58 »

That last one does seem a bit odd...

I think they've forgotten one.

999999 - Customers travelling from St Erth to St Ives in possession of tickets routed "Any Permitted" may not travel via Wick. This easement applies in both directions.

So instead of wick I can go via Glasgow still I assume  Grin

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:15:33 »

Spoiled for choice with weird easements. How about:

[700097
Customers in possession of tickets routed Thornford Honiton may travel via Yeovil
Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill. These tickets are not valid for travel via Castle Cary. This
easement applies in both directions

1. Which tickets carry this routeing?
2. Is there a valid route without the easement?

A journey from Weymouth/Upwey/Dorchester West to Exeter Central and stations west thereof has routing options of:
-Thornford Honiton
-Westbury Salisbury
-Yeovil Westbury

A lot of these easements appear to be nonsense, but they are just data inputs to make journey planners function correctly in offering valid journey options for certain tickets.

A popular local one allows passengers to/from Dilton Marsh to circulate via Warminster or Westbury (because of the limited number of trains calling there) in order to provide more journey opportunities.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:24:08 by RA » Logged
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 07:52:00 »

Not knowing the Routeing Guide, is there a general easement for the disabled?
Customers travelling from Basingstoke to North Camp and Ash in possession of tickets
routed 'Farnborough North' may not travel via Reading. This easement applies in both
directions.
Circuitous Rout
Travelling from Basingstoke to North Camp offers two default routes, via Farnborough Main and Farnborough North, alternatively via Ash Vale. The first includes a 17 minute walk and the second an 11 minute walk. Neither would seem viable for somebody in a wheel chair, especially the street to platform stairs at Ash Vale.
You can, of course, specify via Reading but that might not be apparent as part of a longer journey.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 11:12:23 »

Looking wider that just routing, the rail industry takes many steps to help the disabled - to take account of the issues they face that other's don't face and to provide for them.  That's not to say there isn't a way to go you, and in some elements a very long way to go indeed.   But I don't think there's any general easement in there ... not exactly sure what it would say - "where the routing guide only offers routes which are not wheelchair accessible, tickets for wheelchair users and their travelling companions will be accepted via any reasonable wheelchair friendly route" perhaps?   But such a generallity could lead to more questions than it would answer - what is "reasonable", what about stations that are measured as wheelchair friendly but not found to be such by users? Also not sure how it would be implemented in software.

With some exceptions, rail staff are pretty good at helping with informal easements to help disabled passengers. Example.  Journeys such as Melksham to Bradford-on-Avon involve a change at Trowbridge. Trowbridge is technically accessible, but if you're changing trains there and cannot use stairs it's an impractically long way around.   If you're in a wheelchair, better to double back at Westbury even if it's not really in the rules.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 16:12:30 »

With some exceptions, rail staff are pretty good at helping with informal easements to help disabled passengers. Example.  Journeys such as Melksham to Bradford-on-Avon involve a change at Trowbridge. Trowbridge is technically accessible, but if you're changing trains there and cannot use stairs it's an impractically long way around.   If you're in a wheelchair, better to double back at Westbury even if it's not really in the rules.
I think reasonable diversions off recognised routes and doubling back outside normal rules (eg via a nearby station with lifts) are options available to passenger assistance when you ring them.  As you suggest it would be rather difficult to programme them into normal journey planners.

PS

Did some more digging, and my understanding above is actually confirmed almost at the end of the routeing guide instructions:

DISABLED TRAVELLERS
Train Operating Companies may make special arrangements for disabled customers and an accompanying passenger via Passenger Assist (PA (Public Address)).

Provided these arrangements are made in accordance with the procedures laid down in the Manual, they will override the requirements of the Routeing Guide.

All staff involved in revenue protection duties will be advised, on each individual occasion, of customers who are exempted under these arrangements.
http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/nrg_instructions.pdf

Paul
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 18:09:50 by paul7755 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: