Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 16:02:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these do you believe should be seriously considered for inclusion in a restructured fare system?  (Voting closed: August 07, 2018, 07:04:06)
Fares based on distance travelled - 24 (16.6%)
Fares based on the level of service received - 17 (11.7%)
Fares where the cost is the same at all times of day and for all days of the week - 4 (2.8%)
Fares based on time of booking - 7 (4.8%)
Fares based on the amount of flexibility required - 13 (9%)
Fares designed so that it is unnecessary to buy a ‘split-ticket’ in order to get the cheapest deal. - 20 (13.8%)
Fares based on encouraging travel to fill up empty seats - 17 (11.7%)
Fares based on loyalty to regular travellers - 15 (10.3%)
Fares which provide savings for certain groups in society - 12 (8.3%)
Fares where both the outward and return journey fares are based on time of day travelled - 15 (10.3%)
Some other factor (please post) - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Future fare system - what elements should it include?  (Read 6621 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 12:40:56 »

In the case to which I refer, I had not only paid the full first class fare but had also booked a seat and had taken my booked seat, but was still asked to stand by the train manager in order that a mother and baby could have two seats.

More fool you. I would have made the mother sit next to me and have the baby on her lap or if the baby was in a carry cradle have that on her lap or on the table. Not being "flush enough" to afford First Class travel, I would have, in your circumstances, demanded the train manager give me a signed written note to customer services to confirm he had asked you to vacate you reserved seat and the reason why and used that to justify your request for a part refund and if still refused same taken the matter to the small claims court. It is surprising how a small claims court ruling suddenly wakes up big organisations, I once had a dispute over a £12 car park charge which the operator claimed was an old ticket as the strong sun had bleached the print on the ticket and the ticket must have been old for it to be so badly bleached. The part of the print which had not been bleached had the ticket number still legible and despite my telling the operator to check the date on which that ticket number was dispensed, they refused. Made online small claims court claim, duplicate £12 taken from my current account, £25 small claims court fee, 3 X £14 cost of my time preparing letters to parking company, 3 X £2.90 guaranteed delivery of letters, 21 X 10p for photocopying, total £89.80p. Had a letter from the parking company after the small claims court action started enclosing a cheque for £15 and stating that they had considered the case again and the cheque was in full and final settlement of the matter and enclosed a proforma for me to sign and return stating that I had accepted their settlement. No way, I returned their cheque with an accompanying letter, the small claims court ruled in my favour and the £89.80p was paid in full.

If more people started to use the small claims court to claim against rail companies then pigs might fly, seriously though, something might get done, take JourneyCheck snapshot and if the train you are travelling on is 5 instead of 10 and your reserved seat is in the missing 5, claim, If your train is described as full and standing and First Class is declassified and you have a First Class ticket, even able to sit in the reserved seat, claim. I could go on now I'm wound up but this is going off tangent on this thread and the pub is beckoning for my Sunday lunchtime pint or two.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 12:47:32 »

On local trains or shorter journeys for which seat reservations are not available, I agree that one should consider giving up a seat for someone less able.

On a longer distance service for which one has paid a lot of money and booked a seat, I am now more reluctant to stand.
Whilst some would say "of course you should still stand for children, elderly, and other deserving cases"
That is in effect saying that someone like myself should NEVER take a seat on say the 19-03 from Paddington. There are ALLWAYS standing passengers on that service, at least in the summer, and there will ALLWAYS be among those standing some who consider that they need a seat. (Or two seats for a parent and young child)

I am opposed to air travel due to the fuel used and environmental damage done, but one can see the attraction of air versus rail.
I have never heard of an airline expecting a customer to stand in order that a parent and child may have two seats for one ticket.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 13:24:22 »

On local trains or shorter journeys for which seat reservations are not available, I agree that one should consider giving up a seat for someone less able.

On a longer distance service for which one has paid a lot of money and booked a seat, I am now more reluctant to stand.

If you have a booked seat and are occupying it, that should be the end of the story.

You will of course always be able to find exceptional circumstances where you might want to get out of the way.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 15:57:50 »

. 'Full fare' does not equal guaranteed seat. Never has. Unless you make a reservation.

………….and even that is becoming less and less of a guarantee!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 20:01:23 »

It would seem that having a child not only gets two seats for the price of one, but also overrides a booking.

That's not "having a child", that's "being a muppet". If I were on a train with Sebastian in this scenario, he'd be on my lap. (Although he'd rather be looking out the droplights in the vestibules... clearly an apprentice rail enthusiast.)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 20:39:32 »

I'd consider myself a muppet if I gave up my reserved 1st Class seat to a passenger without a reservation. A TM(resolve) asking me to move for a mother and under five to occupy two seats is not a reasonable request, and I say so. I'd happily let mum and under five sit next to me though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 22:52:01 »

In retrospect, I DO consider myself to have been a "a bit of a muppet" for complying with the train managers request.
If the situation was to arise again, I would be inclined to stand my ground. This may sound harsh, but on a popular train there will always be someone deserving standing.

It is in fact less likely that the situation will recur, for several reasons.

Firstly, I travel less than in the past.
Secondly I have become very selective about travel dates, avoiding Fridays, Thursdays, and days near holiday weekends or special events.
And finally I avoid IEPS so far as possible since reservations seem to be seldom honoured. I cant avoid the wretched DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) forever of course, but presumably they will eventually be full length and have reservations.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 09:13:05 »

In my mailbox this morning from Raileasy / Trainsplit

Do you want Trainsplit to stay? Take this survey if so!

Rail Delivery Group Fares Consultation

The Rail Delivery Group have begun an 'easier fares' consultation where they want the public to complete a survey to help them design a new fares structure.

We believe letting train operators get more control over fares is the equivalent of "letting a fox run the hen house” as someone commented on Times Online. It should be noted the fares Train Companies control have increased at 5 times the rate of Government controlled, regulated fares.

As you know, we are always championing our split ticketing site, Trainsplit, which has saved 700,000 customers an additional £11.5 million in split ticket savings since March 2015.

We don't want the fares consultation to affect savings our customers are finding. There is also no way through fares can go down to split ticketing levels or close to them because they do say there might be some increases for people who currently split and the whole exercise remains "revenue neutral".

So if you want Trainsplit to continue to save people money, we would appreciate you taking the time to fill out the survey and in particular the question in regards to Split ticketing which we ask you to answer as 'Do Not Consider'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 10:30:48 »

Grahame

What a surprise from a vested interest in the current complexity.

They do however make a valid point that in any change of this size the screams of the losers will overwhelm the purrs of the winners.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:12 »

Exactly the answer I gave in the consultation without being prompted by a vested interest.

Attempts to iron out split ticket savings will result in fares increases either side of the split. Those making the savings by possessing a little knowledge are far outnumbered by those who buy the point to point tickets. Lose/lose.

I too urge anyone who has not already completed the consultation to answer the split ticketing question with 'Do not consider'.

My great fear with this consultation is it has been worded such that the outcome is predetermined. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Rail Delivery Group can then dress up fares increases by saying its what passengers wanted. I'm of the growing opinion that this consultation is a smokescreen for reducing government farebox subsidy even further.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 16:59:20 »

Grahame

What a surprise from a vested interest in the current complexity.

Indeed.   However, I'm inclined to think that the elimination of savings on ticket splits should not be a consideration in its own right (whether or not you like the practise), but rather it would naturally be reduced through so many other changes that should be considered.

Paddington to Cardiff single on the 08:45 - £117.10; on the 09:15, £62.20 - the difference between peak and off peak fares.  But why on earth should you be expected to pay a peak fare for the Swindon to Cardiff leg of the journey on the 08:45 when the peak has passed?    Better £66.80, peak, London to Swindon and £21.80 off peak Swindon to Cardiff - total fair fare £88.60 .... but the problem is how you come up with a ticket regime to do that calculation for you automatically.  Such a splitting of fares seems only fair, and surely it's far better to come up with a proper system that eliminates the need to muck around rather that setting out to eliminate a facility.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 17:28:26 »

Paddington to Cardiff single on the 08:45 - £117.10; on the 09:15, £62.20 - the difference between peak and off peak fares.  But why on earth should you be expected to pay a peak fare for the Swindon to Cardiff leg of the journey on the 08:45 when the peak has passed?    Better £66.80, peak, London to Swindon and £21.80 off peak Swindon to Cardiff - total fair fare £88.60 .... but the problem is how you come up with a ticket regime to do that calculation for you automatically.  Such a splitting of fares seems only fair, and surely it's far better to come up with a proper system that eliminates the need to muck around rather that setting out to eliminate a facility.

So the solution to this would be for the fare engine to always, automatically, calculate the effect of split tickets and apply them as necessary.

This will significantly reduce overall revenue when the change should be revenue neutral.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 20:51:35 »

Poll result / comment at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19894.msg243639#msg243639

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:09 »

I missed this poll when voting was still open, but I have something to add on over-5s travelling free, from a parent's perspective: some staff don't want to sell child tickets. In fact, IME (in my experience) quite a lot of staff don't. Two examples, five years and a hundred miles apart:
Severn Beach line
"One adult and one child return to Stapleton Road, please."
"Is he under five?"
"He's six."
Looks at me seriously. "Let's try again. Is he (nod) under (nod) five? (nod)"

London Underground. The child above is now 11. I can't see how to get a child option on the machine. Ask gate staff. "Oh, he's ten, he can travel free."

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:25 »

And perhaps that's another factor that might be taken into account; should the age at which children require tickets and the age at which they become adult for ticket purposes be levelled across the country and all modes of transport?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: