Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:49:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What basket / overall fare scheme philosophy would be your preference?  (Voting closed: August 07, 2018, 15:25:45)
Option A: No discounted tickets, standard ticket price lower than now - 10 (47.6%)
Option B: Discounted fares same as now, standard ticket price same as now - 9 (42.9%)
Option C: Greater discounts than now, standard ticket price higher than now - 1 (4.8%)
"Don't Know / no opinion". - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Philosophy for a future fares system  (Read 2300 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 31, 2018, 15:25:45 »

Poll to measure the views of forum members as we consider the "fares consultation" which is summaries [here]. Please refer to that thread for further details, and look at the official consultation [here].
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 19:14:45 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 15:52:27 »

It is a little too black or white for me to answer truthfully as my gut feel is for something between A and B
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 18:41:25 »

The hidden assumption behind the question is that the total income raised from fares remains essentially the same - the only question is how the price is varied between different journeys/times/groups/etc.

It seems that fares tied to a specific train tend to cause more than their share of issues for a variety of reasons. As access to a specific train is not generally policed the system is programmed to cause aggravation.

A major issue with reduced price tickets is the huge range of different restrictions which are, or could be, applicable. A very important part of any fares simplification would be the removal of these hidden - hidden to most customers that is - restrictions.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 18:51:52 »

I think you can 'take a p' out of the the subject thread, grahame. And no, I am not taking the proverbial..... Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 19:16:01 »

I think you can 'take a p' out of the the subject thread, grahame. And no, I am not taking the proverbial..... Grin

I have edited the original post and the title in this answer ... hopefully there should be a reduction of p hereon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 19:17:02 »

I want discounted tickets but I want the discounting to be the same in every area.  So a season ticket is the same discount off the standard ticket regardless of where it is.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 19:30:05 »

The hidden assumption behind the question is that the total income raised from fares remains essentially the same - the only question is how the price is varied between different journeys/times/groups/etc.

That's my error in simplifying the polls.   The official consultation, and indeed the thread that I refer readers to for more details, says
In answering these questions please assume that:
• The overall average rail fare remains the same as now.

Not quite the same thing as static income - if the new structure encourages 10% passenger growth, then the income per fare could be 9% lower.

It is a little too black or white for me to answer truthfully as my gut feel is for something between A and B

Agreed ... not an option offered on the consultation, which I have mirrored here.   Personally, I would like to have seen various things on the consultation somewhat different, but that might have made the thing more complex to the extent that the public were put off replying.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 19:37:45 »

I've voted Option A but it's a bit all or nothing. "No discounts" would be my preference if it refers to advance-purchase discounts and limited-train discounts. I wouldn't like to do away with discounts for season tickets and specific railcard holders.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 19:44:34 »

None of the options reflect my preferred system of only 3 fares for any given journey.
The fare payable should be determined by how busy the train is likely to be, and NOT by how far in advance the ticket is purchased.

I see no merit in charging a punitively high fare for last minute travel on a lightly used service.
Neither should discounted tickets be sold for trains that are known to be very busy.

I would allow the TOC (Train Operating Company) to decide which of the three fares is payable for each train, and to alter this as they see fit, subject to two overriding rules.
Firstly, changes may only be made at timetable changes, not in between.
Secondly, the lowest fare must be available on at least 25% of services, and the highest fare be charged on no more than 25% of services.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 19:57:46 »

If I were a cynic, I would suggest that the available answers were designed to come up with a glorious mix of votes for a very limited number of options ... headed for a conclusion that "no one option seemed to please everyone", a tick for the "we consulted" box, and a decision to go ahead with what the RDG(resolve) feels is best for them us.

Of course, I am not really allowed to by cynical these days.  Grin Grin

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 22:13:46 »

If I were a cynic, I would suggest that the available answers were designed to come up with a glorious mix of votes for a very limited number of options ... headed for a conclusion that "no one option seemed to please everyone", a tick for the "we consulted" box, and a decision to go ahead with what the RDG(resolve) feels is best for them us.

Of course, I am not really allowed to by cynical these days.  Grin Grin

Realistically I think that is going to happen.  Simplification will require so many changes that the screams of the losers will dwarf the screams from the May 18 timetable change.  Politically it will not work.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 20:51:55 »

Poll result / comment at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19894.msg243639#msg243639

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: