Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:30:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of traffic between London/Swindon and Gloucester/Cheltenham  (Read 3693 times)
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2018, 15:55:02 »

In the May 2019 timetable change, most shuttles will be replaced by hourly London services. This is a benefit, and it makes life easier for myself and many others, however this is not particularly improving frequency of services for Stonehouse, Stroud and Kemble.

When the line was redoubled, it had two purposes. For diversions and possible future extra traffic. However when would this be delivered?

People seem to believe that in the next decade Network Rail plan to increase the frequency to 2tph on the line, with one train per hour leaving Gloucester, and the next leaving Cheltenham.

A. Could you see this happening? It is a benefit for Stonehouse Stroud and Kemble but
B. Can Stonehouse benefit two more trains per hour over Gloucester and is missing a city out like that justifiable?
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 17:21:06 »

Interesting. A couple of questions:

Would the Cheltenham train also call at Gloucester or skip it?

Presumably there's no chance of the line being electrified at any point in the foreseeable future so these services would run diesel to Swindon?
Sapperton Tunnel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 16:47:49 »

There has never been a full commitment from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for 2 trains per hour Swindon - Gloucester - Cheltenham. There have been plenty of assumptions that this would happen, including from the Cotswold MP (Member of Parliament) Geoffrey Clifton-Brown: "I am disappointed that the opportunity has not been taken to increase the train service now that the Swindon to Kemble line has be doubled".

However, service level commitment 3a of the current franchise, which was the one due to be implemented in December 18 does have a half hourly service in the Swindon-Gloucester direction in the peaks - between 07:15 and 08:44 and 20:15 and 21:44, made up of the hourly Padd - Chelts, plus Swindon - Gloucester locals. In the Gloucester - Swindon direction there is one extra service  between 17:00 and 18:30, plus the hourly Chelt - Padds.

The August 2015 Network Rail Western Route Study talks of extending the 1 train per hour (tph) Padd - Chelt to Worcester, plus 1 tph Paddington - Gloucester, plus 1 tph Swindon - north west local service via Worcester and Birmingham by the year2043.

Electrification Swindon - Kemble is talked about in the Study, but I understand First/GWR (Great Western Railway) would prefer a reversing facility a Chippenham anyway, so I think electrification is pretty much dead in the medium term. 
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 18:34:12 »

On this topic.. a couple of things that bugged me:

1) When will the infamous 1642 service from Paddington to Cheltenham Spa be introduced? (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452225/first-great-western-service-level-commitment-2-22032015.pdf)
2) When will journey times be reduced (as promised!) once the IET (Intercity Express Train) trains have been introduced? There has to be some benefit to sitting on those rock solid seats Smiley

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 18:41:07 »

Should be from next May.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 19:35:47 »

Magic ! When will the timetable emerge for that?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 20:07:04 »

I'm afraid the answer goes something like this:

The rail industry is reviewing the process by which timetables are decided, including the process by which they decide when to announce what the timetable is to be and when it will start. However, at the same time the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are reviewing the processes by which the industry decides on new timetables, and that may alter the timing of any announcement of the timing of an announcement of any new process for deciding new timetables and the timing of the development and introduction of those new timetables and of the announcement of them and of the timing of their introduction.

But I'm sure they''ll all get their act together real soon.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 20:21:24 »

I'm afraid the answer goes something like this:

The rail industry is reviewing the process by which timetables are decided, including the process by which they decide when to announce what the timetable is to be and when it will start. However, at the same time the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are reviewing the processes by which the industry decides on new timetables, and that may alter the timing of any announcement of the timing of an announcement of any new process for deciding new timetables and the timing of the development and introduction of those new timetables and of the announcement of them and of the timing of their introduction.

But I'm sure they''ll all get their act together real soon.

If they don't all get caught up by forever going round in circles.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: