Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:01:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: 165/166s on this route  (Read 31900 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 22:38:12 »

But for the benefit of the longer distance travellers, wouldn't it have been better to allocate the cut-down HSTs (High Speed Train) to this line?
A bold YES from me.
Hasn't it been said on here several times that the HSTs are not cleared to run beyond St Denys ?

There are two types of bogies utilised on the HST Mk3 carriages. LSL(resolve) (long swing link) and SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) (short swing link) and HST sets  ....

Also I think the SSL carriages can't go via Hamble - have to go via Hedge End ??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 22:47:18 »

But for the benefit of the longer distance travellers, wouldn't it have been better to allocate the cut-down HSTs (High Speed Train) to this line?
A bold YES from me.
Hasn't it been said on here several times that the HSTs are not cleared to run beyond St Denys ?
There are two types of bogies utilised on the HST Mk3 carriages. LSL(resolve) (long swing link) and SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) (short swing link) and HST sets  ....
Also I think the SSL carriages can't go via Hamble - have to go via Hedge End ??

Might be so.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 23:10:37 »

It's not just LSL(resolve) bogied Mk3s that are the problem for HSTs (High Speed Train) operating Cardiff-Portsmouth.

The Class 43 power cars are banned between St Denys and Fareham. Clearance issues on the Hamble Viaduct.  

The HST footex that FGW (First Great Western) ran in the past (Swansea to Fratton), along with a Cotswold Line Promotion Group railtour from Hereford to Portsmouth, both in 2011, ran via Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh and Hedge End.

Taking that route wouldn't be practical in daily service as it misses out Southampton Central. Nor would it be practical to call at Southampton then Eastleigh and reverse for Fareham via Botley. That would lengthen the journey time and require a complete timetable recast, where paths between St Denys and Eastleigh would have to be found.

For those reasons, and ensuring you have sets with SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) bogies only for third rail running, means it has never been a serious consideration to run HSTs on Cardiff-Portsmouth services.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 00:43:41 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2019, 19:11:55 »

I noticed there was a 5 coach 166 + 165 on the 0830 Cardiff to Portsmouth today.  Are more diagrams going over to turbos since the start of the new timetable?
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2019, 20:17:43 »

It's not just LSL(resolve) bogied Mk3s that are the problem for HSTs (High Speed Train) operating Cardiff-Portsmouth.

The Class 43 power cars are banned between St Denys and Fareham. Clearance issues on the Hamble Viaduct.  

Learn something everyday. I saw the HST as a go anywhere train. Can't be many places they can't go though.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2019, 10:57:50 »

Clearance issues on the Hamble Viaduct.

Surprising that it didn't get singled in the BR (British Rail(ways)) era.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2019, 12:15:13 »

I noticed there was a 5 coach 166 + 165 on the 0830 Cardiff to Portsmouth today.  Are more diagrams going over to turbos since the start of the new timetable?

I was going to say have a look at the CIS (Customer Information System). Then I saw this load of visual diarrhoea !! Just how is my "granny" or a foreign tourist meant to understand this lot ??

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2019, 12:57:14 »

I was going to say have a look at the CIS (Customer Information System). Then I saw this load of visual diarrhoea !! Just how is my "granny" or a foreign tourist meant to understand this lot ??

That's the staff CIS view ... plenty of choices available ... top 5 samples from GWR (Great Western Railway) / Iris Tiger, bottom 2 from http://www.mrug.org.uk/wmn.html

One or two of these are scrolling displays - so above does not capture all the data available.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 14:12:29 »

I think you missed one Grahame - the one that told you what size shoes the driver was wearing  Wink

I have seen the platform CIS (Customer Information System) at Warminster displaying exactly what I showed above - it does not help passengers, it just confuses them.

To return to the original point, not many 5 car trains to be seen still - one 4 car though,  2 X ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 14:26:36 »

I think you missed one Grahame - the one that told you what size shoes the driver was wearing  Wink

I have seen the platform CIS (Customer Information System) at Warminster displaying exactly what I showed above - it does not help passengers, it just confuses them.

To return to the original point, not many 5 car trains to be seen still - one 4 car though,  2 X ?

It was quoted as D - E - D - E so probably 2 x 2 car 165 units.  Any, yes, I too have seen a variety of the displays on CIS screens including Staff view which is personally wonderful in telling me so much, but really not clever for passengers who think of stations by real names and haven't a clue where the train was "latest report Thingley Junction"

I was amused at the "most liked" ranking of 153 on this thread about 165 and 166. How quickly we move on. The guy at Transport for Wales on Saturday last was proud of his five extra trains coming into the timetable at the start of this week ... further enquiry brought out the fact that the five extras that took them up to 132 trains were the 153 added to the fleet.

[153] 165/166s on this route

Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 20:46:47 »

And today 0730, 0830, 0930 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to PMH all short formed, and 0800 CDF to PGN too.  Somebody at GWR (Great Western Railway) definitely had it in for the S Wales to Bristol commuters this morning.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 20:52:05 »

Any Turbos released as a result of increasing use of IETs (Intercity Express Train) from Monday will need to be Ride Height Modified, and also possible fitted with door controls for the TM(resolve)’s, so it might be a week or two until they come on stream.

Practically everything on the Cardiff<>Portsmouth axis should be a 5-car by December I’m told.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2020, 14:23:35 »

https://www.modern-railways.com/2020/04/22/west-of-england-capacity-boost-in-new-gwr-deal/

Hadn't seen this one before.   5 car, through corridor, 4 abreast (comfy) seats in a 165/6 hybrid ??

Actually, on that subject, I have noticed a 4 car 158 in regular use on this line recently - 80% of the best solution - perhaps.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2020, 14:39:16 »

Lengthened using a Class 365 carriage I believe and given battery technology to become bi-modes.  Very much at the development stage mind you, and, with experiences elsewhere, by no means certain to prove easy to do!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: