20:14 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
21:25 Evesham to London Paddington
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 22:41:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[107] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[65] Death of another bus station?
[44] "Mayflower"
[38] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heritage railway dangers  (Read 2672 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 01, 2018, 17:25:22 »

From the Somerset County Gazette

THE grandmother of a four-year-old boy who was hit in the face after a shopping bag was thrown onto a moving train has thanked West Somerset Railway for their help.

Bailey Hulston and his two grandmother’s, Toni Jones and Paula Jones, were on a steam train on their way back to Minehead after a day trip to Bishops Lydeard on July 22 when their train stopped at Blue Anchor station.

Paula claims a number of passengers boarded the train but as it started to leave the station a man stood on the platform threw a shopping bag through an open window which hit Bailey in the face.

[continues]

The story leaves me with a number of questions. I can't say that the danger of passengers being hit by objects thown into open train windows is something I have come across before - I wouldn't think people throw things in very often - why would they - but now that there's publicity been given perhaps we'll find some copy cats ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 18:22:52 »

This is not a "railway danger" surely?

There must be general railway by-laws to criminalise such behaviour and a civil action by the parents should also be successful. Did the platform staff catch the felon?

We don't want HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) or HSE (Health and Safety Executive) forbidding the opening of windows.

OTC
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 20:52:19 »

Wouldn't it be likely that they'd left that bag on the platform & he was 'repatriating' it ti the owner? Hardly criminal?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 21:08:47 »

Wouldn't it be likely that they'd left that bag on the platform & he was 'repatriating' it ti the owner? Hardly criminal?

I suspect so, Chris  Grin Grin   ... more a quick act of kindness that went horribly wrong!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:00:59 »

.....and a typically "close knit" Somerset family where both Grandmothers have the same surname! 😉
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 14:49:39 »

.....and a typically "close knit" Somerset family where both Grandmothers have the same surname! 😉

I suspect they were holiday makers and do not come from Somerset, so that'a an unfair slur on the Somersetters.   Judging by the surname, I would hazard a guess they come from Wales, where this repeated surname is to be expected rather than anything else - a very few surnames shared between a lot of people and no real indication of close blood ties.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 15:48:54 »

I'm from Somerset and I'm not at all offended. As a matter of fact, it's very nearly true. My grandmother was a Hockey, her paternal grandfather was a Hockey and her maternal grandmother was a Hockey  Grin

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 16:19:24 »

I'm from Somerset and I'm not at all offended. As a matter of fact, it's very nearly true. My grandmother was a Hockey, her paternal grandfather was a Hockey and her maternal grandmother was a Hockey  Grin

All those Hockeys - I bet you took some stick! (I've already got my coat & the taxi's on its way)

🙂
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 16:23:19 »

and there was I thinking that Emily Hockey was looking pretty spry.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 17:36:18 »

Grandma Jones could of course have been married to Grandma Jones.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 18:38:07 »

All those Hockeys - I bet you took some stick! (I've already got my coat & the taxi's on its way)

🙂

Off with you, you bully!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 21:25:22 »

Grandma Jones could of course have been married to Grandma Jones.

Grandma Jones squared.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 18:06:08 »

I was going to pitch in here, but decided to put that on ice for the moment.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: