Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:35:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Closure threat - Bristol Railway  (Read 3116 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 05, 2018, 22:23:43 »

from https://www.facebook.com/ashtoncourtrly/ also at http://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk

We urgently need your help please!

There is a very real possibility that Ashton Court miniature railway will cease to operate following the end of the 2018 season.
Bristol City Council are proposing not to renew our lease on the site as they intend to use the land for alternative activities.

If this happens the consequences will be:
🚂 No more Ashton Court Railway
🎂 No more birthday parties
🎅🏽 No more Santa visits
👩‍👧‍👦 No more charitable events

The railway needs your support! Please spare a minute and...
✅ SHARE this post to raise awareness
✅ FOLLOW this page - we’re in the process of setting up an online petition with Bristol City Council and will post a link here
✅ EMAIL your local councillor and ask them to support the railway (find yours here: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/council-and…/find-your-councillor)

Bristol Society of Model Engineers is a volunteer run, charity based, organisation that has built and operated #ashtoncourtrailway over the last 45 years. Over this time, it has given countless hours of enjoyment to the wider community in and around the city of Bristol.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:22:05 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:48:36 »

Thread or threat?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:22:42 »

Thread or threat?

Threat, thank you. Title edited.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 05:08:21 »

from https://www.facebook.com/ashtoncourtrly/ also at http://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk

We urgently need your help please!

There is a very real possibility that Ashton Court miniature railway will cease to operate following the end of the 2018 season.
Bristol City Council are proposing not to renew our lease on the site as they intend to use the land for alternative activities.

If this happens the consequences will be:
🚂 No more Ashton Court Railway
🎂 No more birthday parties
🎅🏽 No more Santa visits
👩‍👧‍👦 No more charitable events

The railway needs your support! Please spare a minute and...
✅ SHARE this post to raise awareness
✅ FOLLOW this page - we’re in the process of setting up an online petition with Bristol City Council and will post a link here
✅ EMAIL your local councillor and ask them to support the railway (find yours here: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/council-and…/find-your-councillor)

Bristol Society of Model Engineers is a volunteer run, charity based, organisation that has built and operated #ashtoncourtrailway over the last 45 years. Over this time, it has given countless hours of enjoyment to the wider community in and around the city of Bristol.

Would be an awful shame if the railway ceases to operate, that pesky Marvin behind this.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:54:35 »

...that pesky Marvin behind this.

And him with a brain the size of a planet...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:59:07 »

... Life? Don't talk to me about life.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 22:34:51 »

Apologies again if (as an outsider to Bristol and its politics) I have got the wrong end of the stick. Is Marvin the local politician behind Metro Bus(t)?

If so, perhaps he wants to replace the miniature railway with a miniature guided bus way - a Mini Metro Bus! Grin

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 22:59:17 »

Apologies again if (as an outsider to Bristol and its politics) I have got the wrong end of the stick. Is Marvin the local politician behind Metro Bus(t)?

If so, perhaps he wants to replace the miniature railway with a miniature guided bus way - a Mini Metro Bus! Grin

No; neither Marvin Rees nor George Ferguson, his predecessor in the role of Bristol Mayor, were to blame for JustaBus. Lots of people have tried to hang the blame for it on George Ferguson, but in truth his main contributions were (a) an attempt to redirect the funds to something less ridiculous (which obviously failed), and (b)  diverting the most obviously egregious route - straight through the middle of the Industrial Museum - along a less ludicrous path.

As an aside, by its own definition JustaBus does serve Ashton Court - you can see it from Long Ashton P&R (Park and Ride). By the same definition, Justabus also serves Venus on a clear night.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 14:31:00 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

A row has broken out over a closure-threatened miniature railway run by volunteers.

The attraction at Ashton Court, Bristol, is operated by the Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers (BSMEE).

Bristol City Council warned the society its lease may not be renewed as it does not make enough money.

A 12-month extension has now been agreed, but the group was told it needs to become financially viable.

Deputy mayor Asher Craig said the extension until the end of summer 2019 would allow time for a long-term solution to be discussed.

She said: "I have no problem with the railway being retained at Ashton Court but it needs to wash its face.

"The cost of running Ashton Court is nearly £500,000 a year."

A council debate was prompted by an 8,000-signature petition which supported an affordable rent for the attraction.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 17:24:16 »

But WHAT is the cost to the council of maintaining the small area of this large estate which the railway occupies, "Chicken Feed" I suspect.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 18:42:47 »

But WHAT is the cost to the council of maintaining the small area of this large estate which the railway occupies, "Chicken Feed" I suspect.

Quite. Possibly the council is just playing political games, or perhaps they really can't see that if you raise the cost of something to the point where your customer can't afford it, you end up with a revenue of 100% of nothing. There was some similar kerfuffle a while back when they wanted to start charging the organisers of the Bristol's iconic Balloon Fiesta for the use of Ashton Court; Don Cameron said he was prepared to pay £1 (no typo; one pound) but if the council wanted more he'd have to consider moving it elsewhere...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:31 »

I honestly never knew that railway existed, lived in WSM for 43 years and worked in Bristol the last 23
Have been to Ashton Court before too

How did I miss it?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 11:43:01 »

I honestly never knew that railway existed, lived in WSM for 43 years and worked in Bristol the last 23

How did I miss it?

Its in an isolated corner of the estate, I would say the North-West corner of the estate near where the Portishead Road an Beggar Bush Lane intersect, best gate to enter Ashton Court Estate is the one at top of Rownham Hill and head north west. Its well worth a visit.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 18:55:19 »

How did I miss it?

#MeToo.

Quite. Possibly the council is just playing political games, or perhaps they really can't see that if you raise the cost of something to the point where your customer can't afford it, you end up with a revenue of 100% of nothing. There was some similar kerfuffle a while back when they wanted to start charging the organisers of the Bristol's iconic Balloon Fiesta for the use of Ashton Court; Don Cameron said he was prepared to pay £1 (no typo; one pound) but if the council wanted more he'd have to consider moving it elsewhere...

Filton? Or Kuala Lumpur?

I don't think Don Cameron makes much from the Fiesta. Probably nobody does bar the stall holders - and the businesses of Bristol, of course. If Devon County Council, to take an example, was prepared to shell out tens of thousands of pounds to have the Cycling Tour of Britain clog its roads for a day and think it good economics for the county, I am sure Don Cameron would have little problem in finding a new venue. Marvin risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and making Bristol a joyless place.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 19:22:36 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: