Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:01:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explosive Bottom - what should GWR do about it?  (Read 8268 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 09, 2018, 19:47:15 »

From The Mirror

Passengers experienced a train journey from hell after a dog suffered an "explosive bottom" in the middle of the aisle.

Train-goers on the packed journey were forced to use magazines to weigh down the paper laid on top of the mess by train staff, who did not actually clean it up.

Travellers were left gagging from the stench for four hours until the train reached its destination.

The incident happened on the Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) service from Devon to London on Sunday.

Florence Beasley, 23, from London, has formally complained to GWR after spending £36.15 for her disastrous journey from her home in Newton Abbot, Devon.

Is it reasonable to expect train staff to clean up right away?
Personal view - no, up to dog's owner

What (if any) are the compensation rights in a case like this?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 20:15:55 »

I would say that the owner of the dog should clear up, so far as they can. It is most unlikely however that they would be equipped to properly clear up that sort of mess.

It is not reasonable for the on train staff to do much either, for want of suitable supplies and protective equipment.

I have long held the view that emergency equipment on trains should include a large bag of cat litter or equivalent absorbent odour neutralising material. It is cheap and has an unlimited shelf life.

Useful for incidents as described and also for
Human waste or vomit as may result from illness or drunkenness.
Spilled oil, as might result from dropped shopping containing cooking oil or motor oil.
Spillages of paint, or semi liquid food stuffs.
Anything else that is unpleasant or dangerous.

Any employee can open a bag of cat litter and apply it at arms length as needed.

Not of course a "cure all" but it would limit and control the problem until properly equipped cleaners can deal with it.

In many years of rail travel I have witnessed several episodes in which the application of cat litter or similar would have minimised damage to railway property and complaints from passengers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 21:26:53 »

That is most unfortunate and these things can and do happen. Note it was a train going via Bristol. Shame that there was no cleaning crew available to meet the train to do a clean up job before it continued to London.

Yes it would have taken a few minutes, but better to have a small delay than have the offending mess on board all the way to London.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 21:52:27 »

Notable maybe that dogs are the only animal that doesn't have to be inside a fully enclosed basket or carrier whilst on board although the bylaws still requires the person in charge not to allow it to foul or damage any part of the railway. If that does happen then the person in charge is liable for the cost of putting the property soiled or damaged back into its proper condition.  So what preparations should be made ...?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 22:04:19 by didcotdean » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 22:03:43 »

It seems unjust for the other passengers to have the consequences of the owners actions transferred to them. Any pet ownership comes with responsibilities although it sounds like this was far more than a dog poo bag case (and certainly no tree branch to hang it on). If the owner knew the dog was prone to these events the my sympathy is nil.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 22:11:11 »

It certainly reinforces the impression that GWR (Great Western Railway) operate a crap service every Sunday.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 22:43:14 »

As a dog owner myself, I always carry several bags in a holdall attached to the lead. In my own view, they should have made sure the dog had done its jobs before boarding, and had bags to enable them to pick it up.  Frankly considering food and drink is consumed in the same air conditioned coaches it is completely unacceptable, and could potentially break health and safety laws even if it was covered up.

As others have said, cleaning staff at Exeter, Taunton, Bristol or even Reading could have boarded to quickly clean it up, seems to me its a case of a can't be bothered attitude some GWR (Great Western Railway) staff seem to have these days.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:41:28 »

It seems unjust for the other passengers to have the consequences of the owners actions transferred to them. Any pet ownership comes with responsibilities although it sounds like this was far more than a dog poo bag case (and certainly no tree branch to hang it on). If the owner knew the dog was prone to these events the my sympathy is nil.

Indeed - as a dog owner who travels on trains with dogs from time to time, I take responsibility for my pets and travel prepared for "every" eventuality.  They're family and cleaning up after them - as clearing up after your child - is something that in natural and (personally) is something I can do for them that would make me feel sick for someone else's dog or child.  Journeys with children or pets are planned to minimise the risk of accidents in the first place too.   Yet having said that, occasionally you may be surprised when your responsibility behaves or is ill out of character and embarrasses you.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 16:53:26 »

Well given GWR (Great Western Railway) seem utterly incapable of cleaning up their own on train toilets (in the rare event they're actually working) on certain lines it doesn't surprise me they weren't able to clear this mess up. Cardiff to Portsmouth on the 158's was particularly dire when the units ran out of water during the journey....
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 17:17:40 »

I was on a cl150 unit once coming home and the only toilet was locked out of use, many passengers were children returning from a day at the seaside and I demanded the guard / train manager unlock the toilet and asked him if would treat his grandchildren by denying them the use of the toilet. He unlocked it, it was clean, the flush still worked and even still worked when I used it before the train got to my station. Talking to another guard / train manager, he said that if the toilet water tank is not topped up overnight at the depot then it was assumed the tank was empty and the depot staff locked the toilet out of use and couldn't be bother to inform a main station to have the platform water bowser waiting to meet the train to perform the task. In the days of BR (British Rail(ways)) this was a regular sight at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at weekends with services such as Newcastle to Paignton, Leeds to Plymouth, Manchester to Penzance, etc.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 15:15:30 »

The owners details should have been taken & an invoice forwarded for the cost of clean up.

Dogs do have accidents but the owner is responsible for the animal's actions where it affects others. Period.

If it was explosive, I suspect the excrement was more liquid than solid and doggie bags wouldn't have managed much of a clean up.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: