Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:11:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Melksham Carnival: July 28, 2018
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 28th July 2018 - Melksham Carnival  (Read 2926 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:01:08 »

Something special with regard to public transport that you've not yet seen in Melksham - Saturday 28th July 2018

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 17:28:26 »

Follow being circulated locally. Other welcome to join.

Melksham Carnival - 28th July 2018

BACKGROUND

We (TransWilts and Melksham RUG» (Rail User Group - about)) are supporting First Bus in the Carnival Parade - they will have one of their "Discover" buses in the parade, and will be handing out discount vouchers to promote their new services during the Summer Holiday.  We will be walking as part of their group, handing out TIMETABLES - and I have put together a 16 page Melksham Public Transport leaflet, 1000 copies (A5, 16 pages) and 100 large print (A4) being delivered to me tomorrow. The timetable includes all Melksham services that run 7 days a week, plus a table of all other public transport services that run on at least five days, with links to the providers.  As well as help from First, we have a grant from RailFuture which has helped with the printing costs.  The timetable brochure is online at http://atrebatia.info/carnival_timetables_a4.pdf

The Discover bus, and team from First Bus, will be arriving at the Copper Avon Car Park (just on the station side) of the Town Bridge before 17:30.  That's the last time that the roads will be open for general traffic.  We will then (18:00 start) walk around the town - a route that will take perhaps an hour at a quite slow pace - before getting back to the car park. 

Our literature will be preloaded onto the bus (it will be picking it up from the Coronation Road stop) on the way into town.

REQUEST

Can you walk with us please?  Gather at 17:30 may need to be a few minutes earlier, walk 18:00 to around 19:00. 
(r.s.v.p. - no need if you have already passed on apologies as it's a busy weekend)

Lisa will be able to do pick up / drop off runs if needed - Melksham Station, and indeed further if needed. We are far more limited in options here, because I have just got "Frozen Shoulder" that stops me from a number of things including driving, lifting, reaching into crowds, writing with anything other than a keyboard)

DETAIL

If you have a TransWilts T shirt - great.  If not I can provide some and / or First will have some "Discover" T shirts.

There will be a group of around 10 of us, and 10 with the First Bus.  Objective is to get public transport timetables out into the community.

I have "done" the carinval before like this / will be around to help / talk with people, etc.  It's a good fun afternoon.

Weather forecast is cooler and overcast - i.e. PERFECT for the walk ;-)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 18:01:33 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 17:48:13 »

If you're wondering what the carnival looks like -

http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4287_TransWilts-CRP-walking-in-Melksham-Carnival.html

and here is our (2014) group

Diffenence this time we'll have a bus too!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 18:15:33 by grahame » Logged

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 21:28:24 »

I regret that I will not be able to join you as I don't finish my lock keeping duties until 1800

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Bus Queen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:47:17 »

Don't forget to wash & iron all of your TW t shirts Graham you don't want your team looking wrinkled  Wink
Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 21:32:15 »

Ah, that was a guard of honour for you Grahame (and your dogs) that was!

Esther much smaller and me with a lot longer hair! Both Brendan and Bernard there.  (When Brendan and I first started going out I kept calling him Bernard so now when there's a case of mistaken identity his reply is "must have been Bernard" - but with both alibis in the photo what is one to do?

Tina
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 09:29:00 »

A couple of pictures from yesterday.

Somewhere around 15 of us - all with yellow Discover or TransWilts tops - walked in the Melksham Carnival.  Almost an entire print run of 1000 special leaflets - listing all public transport available from and in Melksham - was distributed to the crowds.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 09:31:35 »

Well done Grahame and team.  It looks as though you had a bit of rain but hopefully you dodged most of it!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 09:49:14 »

Well done Grahame and team.  It looks as though you had a bit of rain but hopefully you dodged most of it!

Poured with rain during the setup (we had a bus to shelter in  Grin ) then dry for the walk - a bit more rain at the very end of the breakup

Amazing how how the crowds were still out (though I suppose Mom and Dad were going to watch little Willy in the parade no matter what the weather!

Five (or if you check the reflections, six) of the team at the start.

Hugely illustrative of how transport industry providers and the community can come together to help reach those people who aren't regular public transport users so won't be seen on the bus or at the station to be updated on what's available.

Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 21:51:50 »

Great stuff - sorry we missed it. Perhaps next year give us a shout about a month in advance?

Tina
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: