I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:07:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HSTs - main line operational into the future  (Read 7509 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 12:16:54 »

Maybe we could have a quick poll set up. I quite like it actually.

Please go ahead ... any member can set a poll up  Grin

Ah ha, I didn't know that. Might have a go later if I can work out the mechanics (so no-one hold your breath there please).
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 12:21:36 »

I've allways liked Nanking Blue,much better than what replaced it.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 12:48:26 »

Locomotive services have confirmed the livery of their first HST (High Speed Train)

For me, a HST just doesn't look 'right' without some yellow on the front.

I agree.
To me however liveries of new OR heritage trains are of relatively low importance. I am more interested in comfort and facilities than in the external livery that can hardly be seen once aboard.

Train length/capacity.
Seat spacing/comfort.
Catering.
Toilet availability.
Reservation reliability.
Heating/air conditioning.
Lighting quality.
And internal decor.

Are ALL to me of much greater significance than external livery.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 15:20:46 »

It's true that you don't see it while travelling, but on the basis that trains need painting anyway and if livery variations aren't excessively expensive it might as well look good as well. I find a good livery puts me in a better frame of mind for the journey, but yes the inside also needs to play its part!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 15:58:31 »

Looks like all over white soon, if the train operating companies are disolved by the government.
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 16:43:01 »

I rather like that blue livery- it looks lie the old Bristol Pullman!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 20:18:54 »

Rail Advent also reports

LSL(resolve) HST (High Speed Train) set for Pullman Blue Livery as new railtour announced

LSL for Locomotive Services Ltd ... although in front of HST I am used to it as "Long Swing Link".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 18:32:21 »

I rather like that blue livery- it looks lie the old Bristol Pullman!

It is actually meant to resemble the original 'Midland Pullman' (and will have the 'Midland Pullman' markings).
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 22:15:57 »

It is actually meant to resemble the original 'Midland Pullman' (and will have the 'Midland Pullman' markings).
If only it could still use its original route via Matlock, Monsal Dale, and Buxton.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 11:52:11 »

Was'nt the Midland Pullman an all 1st class service at launch becoming 1st and 2nd class later. On electrification the two 6 car sets transferred to the WR with the two sets coupled running as the up morning and down evening Bristol Pullman's with the sets being split at Padd to form the midday service to Bristol and return with the second set operating a return Padd to Oxford service. WR had 8 car sets which operated the South Wales Pullman, the Birmingham Pullman and the Bristol Pullman. I travelled on it a few times to get home for a weekend but never partook in food or refreshments as the cost was more than the single fare and 5/- (five shillings) Pullman supplementary fare. In the back of my mind I do recall the Blue Pullman set displaced by the transfer of the 2 X 6 cars Midland Pullman sets to the WR and used on the Bristol Pullman was utilised on a Plymouth Pullman but that service didn't last long. Any forum poster able to add further to my comments here as my memory is a bit rusty on this matter although I do clearly remember watching the Farewell Pullman Railtour traversing Westerleigh Junction on its way to Birmingham. I also remember the Bristol Pullman set being on a Bristol to Leeds service on a Saturday carrying the Bristol City Football Club players and Directors and Officials and supporters who could afford the extortionate fare which did include breakfast outbound and dinner returning for an FA Cup match. I had to be content with a seat on one of the other 6 football specials run for the match that day which City lost.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 12:18:34 »

Interesting about the football special,could I ask approx date/year that was?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 13:45:21 »

Interesting about the football special,could I ask approx date/year that was?

FA Cup Round 5 9th March 1967.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 13:57:11 »

Preston FC(resolve) also chartered a Blue Pullman to convey team to Wembly for a Cup Final and West Bromwich did likewise I think for the 1969/70 season final.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 14:28:50 »

I seem to recall that one Christmas Eve the then spare Blue Pullman stock was used as a relief service to Plymouth from Padd returning as a relief from Plymouth after the hol. Traction Inspectors were concerned that with a full load of pax with luggage the set would not make it over the South Devon Banks and instructed that a Western be attached at Exeter to pilot the train to Plymouth and a similar arrangement be put in place for the return after the Christmas Break.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 21:30:08 »

I seem to recall that one Christmas Eve the then spare Blue Pullman stock was used as a relief service to Plymouth from Padd returning as a relief from Plymouth after the hol. Traction Inspectors were concerned that with a full load of pax with luggage the set would not make it over the South Devon Banks and instructed that a Western be attached at Exeter to pilot the train to Plymouth and a similar arrangement be put in place for the return after the Christmas Break.

A photo of that train exists, with the Western on the front. Can't think which book I have seen it in, though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: