Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: London to Reading, London to Heathrow, service patterns under Crossrail  (Read 14732 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 19, 2018, 07:00:06 »

From London Reconnections ...

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-timetable-for-success/

Sufficient information is now available, unofficially, so that we can be fairly sure of the exact service pattern now proposed for Crossrail in December 2019. Furthermore, we can have a good guess at how it may develop in the coming years. ...

Very long, very interesting article ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:37:27 »

Sufficient information is now available, unofficially, so that we can be fairly sure of the exact service pattern now proposed for Crossrail in December 2019. Furthermore, we can have a good guess at how it may develop in the coming years. ...

Posted two days ago on the ... err ... Crossrail thread. Which maybe doesn't belong on the Across the West board, bit still.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 08:44:24 »

Posted two days ago on the ... err ... Crossrail thread. Which maybe doesn't belong on the Across the West board, bit still.

OK - thanks.  Will have a chance to sort out duplication a bit later today ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:59:08 »

In the context of what you put into the other, locked, thread about Reading services:
Long article published this morning setting out what London (Paddington) to Heathrow and to Reading services may look like as we move into the Crossrail (open) era.

This concerns both Reading and Heathrow services - so I have flipped a coin and posted ((here)) on the London to Reading board to keep any follow ups / converations in one place, and I will lock this topic.   

I'd add a warning that this shares TfL» (Transport for London - about)'s London-centric view of the world, and it barely mentions GWR (Great Western Railway) services even when they interact with TfL ones, so is both confused and confusing. So while a discussion of the overall service from west of Slough is perhaps needed, I don't think this is a good starting point.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:55 »

Its not Crossrail - its the Elizabeth Line - or going along with the concept of the fantasy of a modern customer friendly fairy-line where the doors drop off the stock, no toilets, rough running on bumpy track, and hard seating - the Tin Lizzie Line. 
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:14:51 »

And then there is still

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/crossrail-western-progress/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:37:22 »

Its not Crossrail - its the Elizabeth Line - or going along with the concept of the fantasy of a modern customer friendly fairy-line where the doors drop off the stock, no toilets, rough running on bumpy track, and hard seating - the Tin Lizzie Line. 

No disrespect to her majesty but I'll still be referring to it as Crossrail or in the future perhaps Crossrail 1.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 18:33:45 »

There's still a fair amount of speculation and unknowns in the article but reading that and the comments gave at least a start on what the service west of Slough might look like. From a purely selfish point of view I care about Twyford and it sounds like it will be fairly similar to now. Couple of all stops and a few semi-fasts. The view of posters seems to be that there will still be fast trains from Maidenhead and Twyford peak times if only as a way of covering off stations to Didcot.

One issue that only gets a brief mention is the infrastructure. The plans seem very ambitious to me as a layman/commuter when we have what seems like almost daily signal faults out of Paddington. There also seems to be a view that people would use GWR (Great Western Railway) into London and Crossrail out of London which how I imagine I'd end up using it.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 19:34:05 »

I have my doubts, too!  I’ve expressed doubts before over getting terminating trains from the east emptied and sent to Royal Oak turnback sidings efficiently enough to maintain the timetable frequency, so I guess the more that head west of Paddington in service the better. 

But, the flakiness of the infrastructure over the past year or two, doesn’t install me with much confidence, and the reliability of the trains is also a concern when this December comes and, presumably, trains start running through the core.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 20:13:05 »

What I found most confusing was the use of the term semi-fast. This has always had a lot of meanings, different on different lines and to different people. But for NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s futurologists and timetable planners, on this line, the semi-fasts run and make station calls on the Reliefs, but also run part of the way on the Main Lines. At times, I think, NR also include fast trains that make one call on the Main Lines, but only in the context of the service pattern out to Reading.

If you travel from Twyford or Maidenhead, you're more likely to call your train "fast" if it switches onto the Main Line straight away, and use semi-fast for something between that and the slowest stopper in speed. SWT (South West Trains)/R have called the Reading-Waterloo trains semi-fast at times, as they skip stops and use the Fast Lines from Richmond. However, since there are no fast or slow trains as an alternative, the term has never had any real use.

TfL» (Transport for London - about) (are they doing the planning or are MTR/Crossrail?) evidently started using this term for the GWR (Great Western Railway) residual services some time ago, though GWR are still due to run what we used to call the peak semi-fasts. That led to a lot of puzzlement when we were trying to understand last year's TfL announcement of the increased service levels. And both that and the London Reconnections article assume the GWR service without ever defining it. Of course I may have missed this information appearing elsewhere.

Reading between the lines, the plan that eventually emerged following the Crossrail extension to Reading has both the peak semi-fasts (using the Main Lines) and the residual services (which at one stage looked likely to disappear) but only off-peak and only stop at major stations (Twyford/Madenhead/Slough/Hayes/Ealing). The current service has no trains like that, and I'm sure a lot of people would say "why not". As a stopping pattern, semi-fast would fit that quite well - if the speed corresponds too.

Currently the service at Paddington on the Reliefs is pretty irregular, with some big gaps for a non-stop train to run into. Crossrail will have a regular 3 minute interval in the core, and would like to turn alternate trains at Paddington. As a special concession, they have put two turning trains together, to leave a 9-minute interval  over Paddinton-Stockley. Crossrail don't want "outsiders'" trains that don't run metronomically to time interfering with theirs, so that faster service can only be timed to catch up 3 minutes. Incidentally, I think those pretty diagrams are meant to be read as representing time vertically, but are not convincing at the western end if so.

The last step change was for TfL to decide that two of their now 4 tph to Reading in the peaks would also have this limited-stop pattern, which does look odd if you don't know why GWR didn't want to run them (and that will relate to what other trains they are running at the time). When they do run then, off-peak, the question arises (bot for the first time) "will they run west of Reading too, and if so as what?". Again, TfL aren't going to tel you that.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 21:25:49 »

Watching the current regulating regeime (yes, that ARS (Automatic Route Setting) thing again) I think there is absolutley no hope of ever achieving a 3 minute headway day in day out.  Even the most simple of delays will simply escalate out of control with trains and train crew very quickly becoming out of place.  Trouble with a cross London service is that it will quickly also affect the opposite end of the network (aka Thameslink).  The only way you can succesfully achieve such a service is to have a dedicated line end to end (such as the majority of LU lines).

And I note that solving the Heathrow tunnels legacy signalling problem seems to be a long way off (its all gone very quite, anyway).
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 05:35:37 »

No disrespect to her majesty but I'll still be referring to it as Crossrail or in the future perhaps Crossrail 1.
How about Crassrail?

But frankly my main concern is the loss of steam specials out of Paddington and the rumoured closure of Southall steam depot.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:08 »

From a purely selfish point of view I care about Twyford

Ditto for me, but Goring. I still don't understand what is happening with the trains, whether I will need to change or not at Reading (I will be fuming if that is the case).

GWR (Great Western Railway) have their faults, but at least they know where their boundaries are. How TfL» (Transport for London - about) ever managed to define Maidenhead, let alone Reading, as London, I will never know.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 11:11:32 »

From a purely selfish point of view I care about Twyford

Ditto for me, but Goring. I still don't understand what is happening with the trains, whether I will need to change or not at Reading (I will be fuming if that is the case).

GWR (Great Western Railway) have their faults, but at least they know where their boundaries are. How TfL» (Transport for London - about) ever managed to define Maidenhead, let alone Reading, as London, I will never know.

Because TfL run Crossrail, Crossrail needed the additional traffic from the west to support the business case and Maidenhead was a convenient place to terminate, build turnback and stabling facilities etc. In terms of geography, I don't think that it's any further out of London than Shenfield is.

Reading is of course much further out, but operationally it makes sense to give Crossrail the Thames Valley stopping services east of Reading to make the most of the limited paths. I'm pretty sure that London Reconnections went through it in fairly extensive detail and reckoned that once Reading was electrified, the marginal cost of continuing from Maidenhead to Reading was fairly low.

Theoretically of course there is a 'democratic deficit', as TfL are not directly accountable to the voters of Berkshire, but of course there's a counter argument that if they have a good working relationship with the councils along the route and deliver a decent service, then will anyone really be bothered?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:48:15 »

Because TfL» (Transport for London - about) run Crossrail, Crossrail needed the additional traffic from the west to support the business case and Maidenhead was a convenient place to terminate, build turnback and stabling facilities etc. In terms of geography, I don't think that it's any further out of London than Shenfield is.

Again, I am being completely selfish and just venting about it, but I don't care how far out of London it is, nor what it costs, nor that their business case didn't stack up! Fact is, Reading and Maidenhead are not London, so TfL should not be allowed to claim it as their own. By all means install new lines if that's what they want, but bumping GWR (Great Western Railway) services off and forcing longer commutes to non-London destinations, is not right.

I'm 99% sure I will not be able to leave home and arrive at work at the same times as I do now, so its a negative effect on me. No longer will I be able to do anything on the train, as by the time I get on, I will be getting off at Reading. I will be hanging around in the rain because for some reason only those getting off at the middle of the station are deemed worthy enough of a platform canopy. My commute will have gone from a relatively nice and simple one for the past 12 years (excluding times of disruption), to a complete pain with a completely unnecessary stop/change.

Its already a total ball ache on Saturdays now the first train (0542) no longer goes to Paddington and instead terminates at Reading, meaning a stop and change. That's 1 day I do every couple of months, and pisses me right off as it is.

As I said, I am being selfish, I know that, but I just do not see any of this as an "improvement" to my services. Because I don't work in, or the other side of London, I don't count.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: