tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningDelayed
02:24 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:13:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70081 times)
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:32:55 »

What is going on with this service?  Usually 6 cars, but only 3 today, the number of cars has been up and down all summer, varying between 6, 4 and 3 as i recall with no apparent pattern.  The initial explanation was 'due to engineering works at Didcot'  I can kind of understand how engineering works might prevent a full service, but why the daily variation?

Is it really due to staff shortages/stock unexpectedly out of service/lack of maintenance that I have read about elsewhere for other trains?  The cynic in me also assumes that because the service is running to time it gets a tick in the box even though capacity has been cut by half?

It's going to be carnage putting 6 cars worth of passengers into 3 when everyone returns from their summer hols.  Indeed, the other day, it was noticeably dangerous and the driver had to sound his horn as passengers moved along the platform on the wrong side of the yellow line as they realised the train was short-formed just as it was approaching.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 06:06:43 »

At least he sounded a warning horn. Such over-crowding is a recipe for someone trying to board at doors where pax are jammed, the doors then closing, and the train moving off dragging the poor s%d along the platform. But this would never happen on our modern and professionally operated railways would it? Hmm - thinks back to Hounslow, Hayes & Harlington, and other stations.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 08:43:19 »

I catch the same train at Twyford so agree with you that 3 cars is nowhere near enough. I'm guessing the variance in size is due to 3 cars being needed elsewhere while the new trains  bed in/drivers are trained etc.

As GWR (Great Western Railway) have redeployed a lot of their DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) there's probably a very small pool of DMU rolling stock to call on now.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:32:14 »

Wow, finally some customer service, we thought this am when the 7.01 was reported to be full & standing; customers advised to change platform for a later train for a more comfortable journey.  How we laughed as we watched from a different platform as the 7.01 pulled in with empty seats and no sign of anyone standing.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 13:22:22 »

The slightly earlier non stop Twyford to London train was cancelled this morning so I'm guessing they thought it would be crowded. It was pretty packed on the platform at Twyford but there were more seats available than I expected.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 12:56:02 »

It's been a good run but only 3 coaches today which made it all a bit unpleasant. It's also been 5 coaches a lot more frequently. Hopefully this isn't related to the Turbos cascade and challenges around maintenance or spares.

It did manage to be its regular 4-5 mins late though.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:37 »

I wondered why the 7.06 was a little busier today.
I’m surprised that the 7.01 is still a turbo. Any idea when it is due to be upgraded?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:48:45 »

As it starts from Oxford and calls at all stations to Maidenhead (yes even all three between Oxford and Didcot, being their only through morning service to London) it isn't clear what could be a suitable direct replacement.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 13:08:43 »

It could possibly be a candidate for an 8-car Class 769 when they arrive, along with the 17:18 equivalent Turbo return working from Paddington.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 13:50:09 »

It could possibly be a candidate for an 8-car Class 769 when they arrive, along with the 17:18 equivalent Turbo return working from Paddington.

I followed today's diagram and it headed out for Great Malvern once arrived in Paddington.  I had wondered if it headed for Bedwyn, but apparently not!   I would expect diagrams to change in December ... but will the 769s be as wide ranging as Paddington and Great Malvern, or is this slated as one of the diagrams for 80x units once they're all in service?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 15:30:11 »

They won’t go beyond Oxford, and might not even go beyond Didcot or even Reading regularly.  As you say, the diagrams, and times of trains, will alter significantly come the end of the year.

I don’t believe there will be any Cotswold Line services formed by Turbos from then, except the morning ‘Halts’ train.  That was the original plan anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 14:35:05 »

Does the 'halt' service include the 06.53/07.01 we're discussing? I think its going to struggle in its current format. Based on the totally unscientific basis of a couple of people I work with more people on the Oxford to Reading part of the journey are using it rather than change at Reading. For them its a much more comfortable journey and they get a seat. It also seems to be getting much busier at Twyford since I've been using it.

You could move the Henley connection back a few minutes so they get the next fast train although I can see that being unpopular as its slightly slower and 10 minutes later.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 15:55:10 »

Does the 'halt' service include the 06.53/07.01 we're discussing?

The "halts" train is later ... (e.g.) 07:53 at Finstock, 08:10 Oxford, 08:28 Didcot from where you can catch the stopper at 08:35 to London at 10:02, or the express at 08:55 into London at 09:36

On return, it's the 16:22 from London, 17:25 at Oxford, 17:46 into Finstock.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:21 »

Now an IET (Intercity Express Train), and definitely not an upgrade!

Assuming 5 carriages is the normal length for this service, seating capacity is down significantly from the previous old-fashioned diesel, when most people getting on at Maidenhead could get a seat, now most of them can't.

In addition the single door entry makes it much slower to get on and off.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:06:40 »

On Monday it passed Radley, Culham and Appleford because of a SDO (Selective Door Opening) issue - up to a 50 minute wait for the next one. On capacity it needs to be a 9 car ... although more door issues then Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: